Cypress Ridge High School

Public | 9-12 | 2962 students

Posted May 5, 2014

I transferred here my senior year and it has much to offer depending on how much work you are willing to put. I was in all AP classes and yes was a bit challenging. I don't see why others think this school is bad. Success and misbehavior is what parents need to take care of not the teachers. Show your kids to respect and defend in emergency. By the way this school has a good discipline system. Back to the topic of success, I did learn and was in National Honor Society at this school it was amazing. I graduated with honors and now I will also graduate but with my bachelor's in electrical engineering from UH. I will carry an important job now as an engineer. Part of my huge success was due to career preparation from this school.

Posted March 6, 2014

Our high school does the minimum, at best, to support children with learning and attention disabilities. Most of the helpful activities and field trips that enriched the district's education have be cut. It is apparent that the quality of education has suffered from the budget cuts as I see the results with my 2 youngest children's education compared to their oldest sibling who experienced only half of the changes that they did. Parents have to ask their schools for alternative and intervention plans for their child.

Posted March 6, 2014

My children whom are white-Hispanic, have been bullied and or scared by students who are racially prejudiced and or are larger than they are by the majority race at the school. It is time for schools to bus students to balance out the different races to decrease misbehavior, hate, and fear. Students have learned how to avoid some of the cameras in the hallways when attempting inappropriate physical contact with another person. The positive ratings for this school are either exaggerated, planted, or from years ago.

Posted February 14, 2014

I'm the parent of 2 students currently attending Cy-Ridge. My children are in K level and AP classes, but I don't see that the classes are all that challenging besides keeping up with the excessive amount of hw assignments. The teachers have problems with the student population currently DOMINATING this school. Take a tour of the school during a period change and you will see too. Teachers get to the point that they're not able to teach due to disruptions. Consequently, the entire class pays for it. Teachers resort to assigning homework and not really TEACHING very much in class. It's a sad situation as a parent, student and teacher. Student demographics are a problem here. When one race dominates the demographics of a school, there are bound to be issues with the interaction of the remaining student demographic groups. THIS IS AN ISSUE EVERY DAY HERE. The students aren't adequately monitored in the hallways, which aids in the bullying and that goes on in between classes, before and after-school. It's unfortunate that CFISD is such a great school district, but does little to fix the "bad" schools. HOW ABOUT REZONING?!

Posted July 2, 2013

I graduated from ridge in June. I've been at this school for almost 3years not including my freshman year which I spent at Langaham Creek high school which is a #1 school to me. Cyridge is in a very nice area so the school isn't that bad..I've been to multiple "hood" or poor school areas I should say and those schools didn't teach me what I needed to know. When I came to cy ridge they taught us everything!!! The work is hard but I needed them to push me. It's really impossible to fail because there's a lot of things in school you can do to prevent that. However many teachers are rude and come to school in bad moods. Some teachers won't even teach like they should some sit and hand out papers (they only stand when a AP is near) most teachers can't handle the classes so they refuse to teach bc of 1 or more students actions. That school has toooooooo many pregnanct girls there and that's includes freshman too!!! Don't let the age fool you because the girls and boys here puts in work! Also on the note the skipping is not likely inside the school we have cops and teachers who keep that on check which is good!! I'm going to give it a 4 because this school has shaped up over the years.

Posted February 14, 2013

Cypress Ridge High school is not a very good school. I attend the school and I am currently a sophomore. The reason why the school is terrible is that the school's classes are not difficult for any student that wants to succeed. The K level classes (Which are considered higher level or Pre-AP) are probably as difficult as the normal classes at tougher schools such as memorial. The school also has a terrible environment, A quick look at the student population during a passing period will show you that the students there look and act very suspiciously (you would think they are in gangs or groups of similar nature). Academically, the school does not seem to fit my expectations. I have been a distinguished honor roll student for the past two years, and believe that I am not nearly as prepared for standardized tests as I should be. Even though Cypress ridge has many negative aspects defining it, the teachers and administration for the most part work hard and efficiently, which is a definite upside to the school. Overall, I am not happy with the performance of my school. I wish to attend a high end college, but i feel improperly prepared for my future.

Posted October 9, 2011

Good school, no complaints, excellent band program. I have one child in 9th grade and one child going to this school next year. I think this school starts too early for teenagers. Most of CFISD start at the same time.

Posted August 12, 2011

We are proud that our kids went to Cy-Ridge. Two of our kids have already graduated and did great in academics and have made some great friends along the way. The only thing Ridge lacks is the parent participation. We are proud that a lot of our kids are very self efficient and live in the REAL world at Ridge. They have always felt safe.

Posted February 23, 2011

"More focused on sports and "Ram Pride" than the education of THEIR students. Highly dislike most students THERE and TOO many distractions from students education. specific groups and clubs should not be held in the school. instead of turning my kids away from certain personalities and lifestyles it's drawing my kids toward it. --Submitted by a parent" Your review is a rambling pile of uneducated drivel full of elementary spelling and grammar errors. Perhaps you should attend the school with your children so you could keep an eye on them as well as receive a much needed education.

Posted August 10, 2010

More focused on sports and "Ram Pride" than the education of they're students. Highly dislike most students their and to many distractions from students education. specific groups and clubs should not be held in the school. instead of turning my kids away from certain personalities and lifestyles it's drawing my kids toward it.

Posted March 1, 2010

Cy-Ridge is the best(: i love this school ! The athletes are very competative and that's very important. I think the principles do a great job of keeping up with the students. Also, unlike other schools, Cy-Ridge teaches their students to have Ram P.R.I.D.E ! .//i l0VE Y0U RAMSz)).

Posted October 5, 2009

It is so diversified and we have great school spirit.

Posted October 3, 2009

This really is a good school with potential. I was amazed by how great everybody was faculty and students. I must say, in all the classes I substitute taught, there was a clear sense of respect for their school. The fact that the school is really new and modern doesn t hurt. On first impression, the athletics dept., extracurricular groups, elective courses and academia courses were great. I had some great experiences here with active and involved students beyond levels that I have seen at more premier schools in the district. That says a lot about the students and their understanding of leadership and values. Good for Cy-Ridge principals, teachers, and parents. Two negatives: as some schools in the area lack in ethnic minorities, this school lacks in ethnic majorities, thus diversity suffers, and second, the zone lacks a lot of infrastructure and I just don t like the blahhh area.

Posted July 16, 2009

Cypress Ridge is an excellent high school in the Cypress Fairbanks school district. The teachers are caring and hard working. The students are well behaved and have many opportunities to participate in activities. The athletic programs are competitive and respected. I have two children there and have no regrets.

Posted July 15, 2009

My daughter went to cypress ridge high school and she loved it! She's going to be a junior next yeAr. I'm glad we transferred her to this school. Her grades are really high and she's in K level and in AP classes. The spirit of this school is two thumbs up and the teachers great. We love cy ridge!

Posted April 14, 2009

its pretty nice. the school is pretty much split into 2 halves. the people that succeed. and the people that just don't care. mostly everyone gets along. as long as you don't do anything stupid or rash, of course. (:

Posted November 6, 2008

Unfair treatment of students by an over-zealous and power hungry administration. Safety and education are not concerns of this schools administration. If you are concerned about your child's welfare and future, beware of this school.

Posted October 10, 2008

I am a student that goes to ridge and i think it is a wonderful school. Yes, ridge has its problems, but what school doesn't. I think that since we are really diverse it adds something special to our school. Many people don't like us and they put us down, and i think they just need to not say anything at all because they don't see what we see. Walk in our shoes and then you will know how great Cy-Ridge is. Go Rams Go!!!

Posted August 26, 2008

I am very pleased with CyRidge. The leadership is strong and my daughter is very happy there. After attending Truitt Middle School, we were very nervous about CyRidge but we have been pleased all around. My daughter is a Sophmore this year.

Posted March 26, 2008

The administrative team performs well, with guidance & protection for the students. The extra-curriculum programs are extremely strong, and several students have been state recognized. However, I had to demerit my score of two stars because the counselors are my greatest problem. They do not take a keen interest in the gifted & talented students, and they are not consistent in working hours. Several times this year I have tried to contact my counselor, and most of the time they're 'out' for unknown reasons. I appreciate the efforts they put forth, but some of the students that are taking different paths need better support/assistance- -Concerned student

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

808 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

796 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

687 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

681 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

679 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

677 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

639 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

630 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

635 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

633 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students95%

Economically disadvantaged98%
Special education82%
Limited English proficient (LEP)75%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

508 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

191 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

705 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

600 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

723 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

715 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

702 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

698 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

668 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

690 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

707 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 8%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
College counselor(s)
Nurse(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Nurse(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Counseling
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options