Houston, TX
Students enrolled: 1,100

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted July 16, 2015
From my experience, the first grade teacher was confident that my daughter had ADD or LD. After a 3 day psycho-academic evaluation by a Ph.D, ADD &LD were ruled out. However, she was experiencing anxiety caused by her environment and teacher pressure. (At 7 years old) Head of school and teacher did not respect the Dr.'s opinion. We changed schools to one that demonstrates compassion, caring and empathy in the administration level and it is being developed in the students. Happy to say, she loves going to school and no sign of ADD, LD or Anxiety. From my experience, the environment at SBS was not healthy.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted July 14, 2015
This school has lots of favoritism and politics. The administration here is a complete joke.

Second Baptist School 2

Posted July 14, 2015
This school has some good teachers, but academics are no where close to a priority. Sports and the musical are the most important things at SBS.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted July 14, 2015
I took mostly AP classes and got 5s on the majority of my exams. I don't love the school overall but I've had some very strong AP teachers.

Posted June 02, 2015
Our child is extremely happy at this high school. The students are welcoming and confident. God is a center of conversation every day. Administration and teachers are genuinely caring and the counselor goes above and beyond for each student. The school spirit is contagious. The curriculum is challenging and facilitating, while paving the way so everyone can reach his or her potential toward success.

Second Baptist School 1

Posted March 10, 2015
There is little diversity, barely any. Unless you are white, republican, conservative, wealthy, and have attended SBS your whole life (families know each other), you will not fit in. I was miserable. The bible classes are fear inducing, and a waste of time. I encountered two bohemian, artsy teachers during my time at Second, one quit and the other was mocked endlessly for being a vegetarian. Awful environment, and a waste of money. Poor education.

Posted November 12, 2014
Second Baptist School strives to do the will of God and seek excellence in ALL that they do! We are so amazed by the thoughtfulness and dedication that goes into every single event and decision at SBS. The Administration is visible and approachable, the Faculty and Staff are professionals, and the best part is, they do everything with kindness and love! Communication is amazing! From Athletics to Fine Arts, parental support/education, devotionals for Moms and Dads, after school activities, Chess Club before school, Boy Scouts, and the AMAZING student centered learning, we have found our forever school! Thank you SBS, we appreciate ALL that you do. I encourage interested families to visit Second Baptist School... you will not be disappointed.

Posted September 10, 2014
We just started the school this year 2014. We have a child in kindergarten, and another in Pre-k. So far, We are extremely happy with EVERYTHING about the school. When we recently attended a meeting for the kindergarten class, the teacher went over the curriculum for the year, very very impressive!! The staff has always been very nice and helpful. First day of school went like this, walking into school, there was a police officer directing walking traffic, my heart leaped, with all the craziness that goes on in today's world, it was nice to see an armed police officer (they also have armed security) We then had convocation, student body and parents gathered in the church, the head of the school spoke to the students about, God, Maturity, responsibility, respect, reputation, leadership, choices, character, and so on, and so on... In the end, the entire staff held hands, and made a circle around the students and prayed. It was very moving!! If you are looking for a school, instills values, teaches Christianity and how to apply in ones daily life, as well as an excellent advanced curriculum, then I would highly recommend Second Baptist!

Second Baptist School 1

Posted May 17, 2014
If your child is a good student, they will not challenge or support their learning because they are not important. No matter how much money you donate. There are occasional teachers in the lower school who understand excellence. However, there is no communication between parents and teachers after elementary school. They do not even have scheduled conferences. Maybe for elementary, but not for middle or high school.
2 people found this helpful

Posted March 07, 2014
My son graduated from Second Baptist School and my daughter is still in Upper School. Both have attended Second Baptist School and Second Baptist Church Mother's Day Out since one and two years old. Second Baptist School has truly been their second home. I substituted for seven years and have worked for five years in administration. Second Baptist School is not a perfect school because there is no such thing but it is the closest thing to perfection because of the careful planning, direction and desire to truly educate and train students in preparation for college and to succeed in life. Second Baptist School firmly plants students in their Christian walk through Bible classes and life application of God's principles. I thank God for Second Baptist School and for the opportunity my family has had throughout the decades of belonging to the Second Family. I would recommend this school to all parents wanting to mold their children in a structured, safe, and Christian environment.

6410 Woodway, Houston, TX  77057
Last modified Second Baptist School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Second Baptist School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top