Carnegie Vanguard High School

Public | 9-12 | 608 students

Posted yesterday

All the people who give carnegie negative reviews just didn't work hard enough. I'm a freshman and although the workload is a lot everyone is so supportive and I've never been happier. If you are willing to work hard then carnegie is perfect for you. But if you are lazy and have a bad attitude then you're the problem, not the school. Carnegie give students amazing opportunities that you can't get elsewhere. Wonder why the ratings are so high? Wonder why every single student that goes to Carnegie goes to college? Because the school is phenomenal. I wouldn't want to go to any other high school.

Posted May 6, 2014

That "deep as an ocean" determination ended my life. I suggest you don't speak from your point of view. I did strive, you just don't know my story ..... Everyone of those kids that go to Carnegie do not want to fail their parents. "Carnegie is not for every kid." What an excuse! Any school can be challenging, or even the SAME as CVHS. A slot from another child being taken? That slot gets filled up and emptied every year. While I was there my teacher told the whole class that what cvhs promises is not true, over here at Lamar I get an IB dipolma. What is your child getting at CVHS? Over here, I'm getting offered to go to Harvard & other great colleges for free just because of my grades now. What does CVHS offer? You didn't think I didn't strive to do my very best? I did! You don't think I don't suffer?! Be a student for a year over there, and you will see what I'm talking about. Please don't refer to my review again. Thank you for your good luck. Good luck to your child at Carnege, and I really mean it. If he or she is still there - WOW - and I'm serious, good luck. After all these are JUST opinions, so....

Posted May 2, 2014

Carnegie Vanguard is a challenging learning institution. It is not a place for those who lack 'deep as an ocean' determination. I feel very little compassion for the student who posted that CVHS is the worse school they ever attended. Sounds like sour grapes to me. The attitude reflected in your harsh and inaccurate assessment of Carnegie confirms that you did not belong there in the first place. Carnegie is not for every student. It is great that you are happy at Lamar. I too wish you'd gone there first instead of taking a slot away from another child who perhaps would have done better with the Carnegie experience than yourself. No matter where you are young lady, always strive to do your best. If you do that, than the establishment through which you are trying to matriculate will be irrelevant. It's your character and committment that will see you through and it is the same attributes that will see the current Carnegie students through as well. Good luck to you. Sincerely, A proud and pleased Parent of a CVHS sophomore

Posted April 24, 2014

This has been the WORSE school that I ever attended in my life. NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL!!!!!! While I was there, I had no social life at all, got really sick & had a medical condition, the teachers never believed me when I was sick, I couldn't walk, & they made me use the stairs. I would sleep 'till 3 A.M, you may not see it now, but wait until your kid comes home crying about hw & projects, I cried so many times. The teachers do not, AT ALL, motivate the kids. Some of these teachers, especially 9th/10th grade teachers are SASSY! I had problems w/ 2 of them. It only took for them to say something & the rest of the staff hated me. LIFE WAS IMPOSSIBLE AT CVHS! I would rate this school a ZERO if I could. I'm at Lamar now & I can say LAMAR IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN ANY SCHOOL. What I would give to start freshman year again, but in Lamar. CVHS is horrible, the staff are ughhhh, & the main man there ... oh god. Please parents, don't be influenced by the rankings, I am a student who is telling you the truth about CVHS. If you don't believe me, see for yourself when your kid enters that school. You have no social life or time for anything, not even sleep. Friends are what motivates you.

Posted August 8, 2013

I am a recent graduate of CVHS and I recommend it with some reservations. The curriculum is constructed in order to expose students to new perspectives and students leave more knowledgeable and articulate than they were when they arrived (but this is no thanks to the Science & Math departments). Instead of finding better ways to teach students who are struggling in science and math, the school relies on remedial programs like Grad Lab & Math Models to help the students graduate. That said, the demographic composition of the more advanced classes (i.e. AP Calculus AB & BC and AP Physics C) exemplify the racial achievement gap which exists at every grade level. CVHS is a haven for very specific students and if you don t like it or are unable to stay afloat academically, you should transfer. In fact, if after your 1st semester you fail 2+ classes, it s in your best interest to transfer. Honestly, I am satisfied with the time that I spent at Carnegie and the lessons I learned while I was there. Although the school may not have the most virtuous student body (there s an abject cheating problem), students tend to leave more socially responsible and willing to serve their community.

Posted July 28, 2013

As a recent Carnegie (CVHS) grad, I believe it s an excellent school, and the small student body is a plus! Carnegie creates an environment for students to excel academically and allows those who are not as socially successful to find their niche. I felt that most of my teachers at CVHS weren t very good. The Math and Science departments are lacking, and many CVHS students struggle to pass these classes with minimal assistance from their teachers. However, the English and Social Studies departments at CVHS are very strong. While students should be mature enough to advocate for themselves, the school doesn t do enough to assist struggling students (who tend to be less privileged), hence its high attrition rate. Many students find the workload stressful and unmanageable. Thus, the spirit of academic dishonesty thrives at CVHS, and the administration needs to do more to address cheating. CVHS has numerous extracurricular offerings, including a wonderful theater program, but I wish the administration was more supportive of these activities. Most students do not come to CVHS expecting athletic expertise, but our soccer and Varsity volleyball teams are skilled in their leagues.

Posted July 6, 2013

Do not rest on the on top ranked schools reports. Yes, bright kids go to Carnegie, but are they encouraged to be positive people or negative, over thinking, non-social kids who really do not understand what this life and world is about? Be wary of this situation. Your child will be attending this school more hours than you can see and influence them - each day of the week. Too bad this school cannot fuel a more positive thinking environment, if they did, it could be a school with excellent output. Look at which colleges actually recruit here, you may be disappointed considering the hype. When you tour the school, stop and talk to a student or three and see what type of attitude they have. In this world of so much negative thinking, it would be nice to see more of a positive attitude. In our experience, Carnegie administration and staff does not embody much positive thinking or positive teaching. We rate the school one star because it does not live up to expectation in a number of ways.

Posted July 4, 2013

Solid academics, extremely liberal. Not well rounded. Students work hard but extracurricular opportunities are very limited and not encouraged. If you are looking to help develop a well rounded student that will have a solid college application with academics and all of the outside important activities that build a teen into a mature and responsible, contributing young adult, this may not be the school for you. Consider these things carefully. There are a lot of things on paper but not action regarding opportunities to build the entire person. Houston has many great public and private high schools, carefully consider a number of them ESPECIALLY if your child is exceptionally bright. There is a negative side to everything of course. Just consider the entire package - if your child is not eager to become involved, this school will not encourage it. But they do allow the student to feel that it will all work out because they attend "Carnegie". Not true. Speak to college recruiters to get a real understanding of what they expect. And then work with your student carefully from there. Good luck- High School can be a great journey - keep it that way!

Posted May 28, 2013

As a graduating senior, I feel that i should leave a review for any future rhinos that are considering this school. As a person that cares about the well being of others, I'd like to warn you of the dangers first. If you don't like doing homework,don't like reading long textbook chapters in your "free time", and like being considered an intelligent person, DO NOT consider Carnegie. At this school, there WILL be someone that is smarter than you. You can and will work yourself to the point of tears at least once a month if you stay all four years. But you will not suffer alone. That's what makes Carnegie different. Every other student understands your pain. They are right there with you, staying up all night finishing a research paper due in the morning and sleeping next to you in class the next day. I can honestly say that without the love and support of my brothers and sisters, I would have died of a stress induced heart attack years ago, but just like a struggling family, my fellow Carnegeeks picked me up, bandaged my broken pride, and forced me to walk on with them. And even now as I type this review, I cannot help but cry.I will always love my Carnegie family. Carnegeek 4 Life!

Posted May 21, 2013

There are many factors to be consider a good high shcool. CVHS is a great shcool. But, one importmant factor, is, what kind of colleges are open to CVHS seniors? Are those senior really qualified for GT? Seems for me that not many students are accepted to top collages. To qualified for GT HS, we need to consider the college admission. Thanks for the great job from CVHS administration. We are hoping teachers and administrative will do better. Thanks CVHS!

Posted May 2, 2013

Carnegie Vanguard high school is one of the best schools in Houston. The kids are more accepting and less cliquey than most high schools, the new facility is fantastic and modern while being open and eco-friendly as well. The extra curricular programs though limited athletically excel in their area, the theater department is fantastic and excellent as well as quite professional and the sports teams do well (especially considering the small student body) the teachers are over-all accommodating and will do their very best to aid the students and will honestly care for and remember each individual in their classrooms. The workload is great the stress high and the curriculum difficult put if one puts in the effort and dedication they may enjoy an enriched school life with a social life as well and will leave Carnegie with a glowing resume and experience that will prove especially useful in college. It is an amazing school that is just the right amount of quirky and will make you fall in love. It is a family in a sense for the students that attend , and is one of the best high schools in the nation.

Posted February 17, 2013

Making me attend Carnegie was probably the worse decision my parents imposed. They based their decision on the local and national rankings and ignored the lifestyle they were condemning me to. I never wanted to go there; and to this day, as a Carnegie senior, I still think it is the worse experienced of my life. But what is more alarming is that things are getting worse. With the new innovative campus, there is an overflow of applications of students who care only about the appearances. The admitting process is a lottery system whose only requirement is that the applicants is categorized as Gifted and Talented. There are many people who, in my opinion, should have never been allowed. Incoming students are rude and arrogant and have no sense of respect towards their teachers. Carnegie has consumed all of my social life. I see myself stressed over schoolwork everyday, wanting to just run away from my miserable life. I have no friends outside from the few I have at school. Activities are very disorganized and the school organizations/clubs are just a mirror of Carnegie's deplorable student body. Please choose your school wisely.

Posted January 13, 2013

I'm a sophomore at CVHS and I do love it there. However that feeling is somewhat lessening. The school's brilliance comes from the students and community itself. Where I will say the school is deserving of its status, that status is not due to the school itself, but the tenacity of the students and a handful of amazing teachers. The community at CVHS is amazing. The students are all very helpful and collaborative. The academic competition present in most schools is not present at Carnegie. The clubs created by the kids, and the intellectual society made by them is what really makes the school amazing. However, much of the staff detracts from the possible greatness of the school. Many teachers who are incapable or are unhelpful to the students are not urged to be better. In a school that has ranked in the top 10 schools in the nation, I am very disappointed by the quality of many classes. Teachers are uncompromising and many seem like they don't even want to be there, leaving the students to have to go and learn by themselves and the administration does little or nothing to resolve problems with teachers or other students.

Posted December 15, 2012

I'm a senior at Carnegie and it's the worst place in the world. Some of the teachers are good, but too many are self entitled and unhelpful to the kids who are having a harder time. The office workers are rude and the grown-ups that monitor everyone are useless, petty and are just so ridiculous about the dumbest things. The workload is stressful and awful. There's also nothing to do. No serious sports, no music programs, and the clubs are a joke. You can't even go off campus for lunch, even although the new neighborhood is nice. It's like a prison. But the absolute worst part of Carnegie is the students. The majority of them are pretentious, intellectual snobs with zero social skills. Everyone else is just angry at the world and who would blame them? The new campus is pretty I guess, but that's it. It's all looks but no substance. DO NOT GO HERE. I've never been so miserable in my life and starting Junior year I seriously wanted to kill myself. Carnegie ruined my whole high school experience and my life outside of school. If I could give it zero stars I would.

Posted August 21, 2012

The learning environment at Carnegie Vanguard is exceptional. Not only does this school provide a rigorous, competitive environment, it also provides nurturing understanding environment as well. There is no such things as public disturbance at Carnegie. Every other students and myself behave ourselves knowing when to talk and when to listen. The teachers care and try their best to help bring out the will to learn out of the students. They also provide motivations for the students to do good on their state exam (TAKS) like root beer floats and etc. Generally most students get a 3 and above on AP exams being prepared as they are during the beginning of school such as implementing AP taking skills early on in the beginning of the school year curriculum and etc. Overall my experience with Carnegie has been amazing! But they should give students who were kicked out a second chance so that they won't have to return to their public home school

Posted April 4, 2011

i think that this school is a gret choice for all the students like me that entering the 9th grade.it has a great rank and great scores on test.

Posted January 17, 2011

Overall it is a good school that is working within their severly limited resources. As a parent I would like to more support for an already motivated group of students. Most of the students reach their goals because of who they are not because the teacher pushed them or the school set the stage for growth.

Posted December 18, 2010

This school is an elitist dream. OVERRATED and CLIQUES ABOUND. If you find yourself on the bottom two tiers of Maslow's Hierarchy, please don't waste your time or your child's peace of mind. You will be snubbed. It's not worth it. They point certain children out and plan their demise long before you even notice.

Posted December 17, 2010

The academics leave much to be desired, the administration is uncooperative, disorganized, and mostly incompetent. It is definitely not deserving of its status. The teachers for the most part are mediocre, and not engaging or helpful. The administration does little or nothing to resolve problems with teachers or other students. Being unique is encouraged, but the many of students are not very open or friendly, and they are prone to gossip and petty rumors. it is not a supportive environment. Statements by those that had a good experience make it seem as if all of the people who dislike CVHS feel that way because it has such high standards. This is not the case. I consistently made the highest scores on national tests among my peers at Carnegie, with 5s on AP exams and National Merit PSAT scores, as well as doing well in various competitions. However, little,if any, of that success came from instruction at the school itself. Most was from self study. The curriculum is simple, and, though higher than most non magnet public schools, is not very challenging.

Posted October 13, 2010

Carnegie is the only Vanguard High School in Texas, and fosters creativity, collegiality, and critical thinking in a very diverse student population. Great teachers, dedicated administration, an involved parent group make this a school in which we can all take pride.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

150 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

146 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

131 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

130 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

130 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

129 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

152 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

151 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

152 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

198 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 5%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Dance teacher(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Chinese (Cantonese)
  • French
  • Spanish

• Dance teacher(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options