No rating

St. Mary Magdalene Catholic School

Private | PK-8

Living in Humble

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $92,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Sweep tile

Posted October 8, 2013

SMMCS is a wonderful Catholic school with a great sense of community and academic excellence. My children have been students for many years and we are very pleased with the quality education they have received thus far. At SMMCS religion is one of the core subjects taught. Students attend Mass weekly, get to celebrate holidays like Christmas and Easter (unlike kids in public schools) and are taught the morals and values you want your child to have. Students also participate in service projects and which will hopefully lead to a lifetime of volunteerism in their community. The academics are strong and teachers are excellent. The teachers have the ability to personalize your child s education in the sense that students who can work ahead do and those that need extra help get it (I believe the buzz word is differentiation). I love knowing that my children are not bored with their classwork and are constantly being challenged. With regards to extracurricular activities, SMMCS has plenty to offer. The school has soccer, volleyball, football, basketball, track, chess club, NJHS, etc. All in all, SMMCS is a great school that your child will enjoy and thrive in.

Posted September 18, 2013

SMMCS provides a quality education with a wonderful sense of security and community for my kids. There are also many activities to get involved in: sports (volleyball, basketball, soccer, football...), NJHS, choir, spirit club....and more. The teachers we have encountered thus far have all been top-notch and invested in the students. If you are looking for a commitment to academic excellence, a faith-based education, and a place where your child feels part of a family, you should definitely schedule a visit!

Posted September 13, 2013

Reading the review below made me laugh. St. Mary Magdalene has never had anywhere close to 600 students nor is the school facility itself large enough to enroll 600 students. The school currently has over 280 students, which is the largest enrollment it has ever seen. There is actually a wait list for several grades right now. The school also has an Academic Coach who is charged with running the enrichment program and each core class uses differentiated instruction groups to allow high performers to progress while also being able to spend more time with the students who require it. St. Mary Magdalene offers a number of extra curricular activities including a football team, basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball, gymnastics, National Junior Honor Society, Choir, and I am sure there are more. The previous post is inaccurate, incorrect, inappropriate, inconsistent, inept, incompetent, incredulous....you get the point!!!

Posted August 30, 2013

When we originally were looking for a school in 2006, St Mary Magdalene had almost 600 students. Now, there are barely 200 students, and more than half the classrooms are empty. There were unqualified teachers, and staff, in place for so long, that truly responsible parents could see that this was not the school for people who wanted a premium education. The school doesn't even offer advanced/gifted tracks/programs for students. Every student in the class is taught at the same level. A do not expect very much in extra curricular activities for you child. This school does not have them. It does have nepotism, cronyism, favoritism, and all of the other "negative-isms" that will hurt your child's education.

Posted June 13, 2013

Now that the principle is starting to clean house, there is renewed hope that the school will become the jewel of Northeast Houston that it could be. The cronyism, nepotism, mismanagement, and incompetence of the past severely held the school back. If the principle can mend the rift between the church, and the school, that was created by the previous principle, and stop letting school policy be influenced in the short term by people dangling trinkets/think long term, the school will rise up and be great. I am giving two stars to show the hope for the future, but no more than two stars, because the school has a long way to go.

Posted March 10, 2013

When I was researching schools to enroll my daughter in last year, some of the negative reviews on this site made me very apprehensive about enrolling her in SMMCS. However, the positive reviews all made points that were most important to me. Now, I am so happy that my husband and I decided to enroll her! So much so, that we have decided to enroll our other daughter in their PreK program for the next school year. Everyone I have come across has been absolutely wonderful. My daughter's Kindergarten teacher is everything I prayed for. She goes out of her way to challenge my daughter in areas where she excels, is kind and patient, but authoritative and strict when necessary. Seeing how much she has learned in less than 1 year at this school has made me so proud. Spiritual and moral formation is also exemplary. We are so lucky to have parish priests so involved in our students' lives. It can get expensive, but what you receive in return is priceless. My daughter wakes up every morning actually excited to go to school, and my youngest daughter can't wait to start going to SMMCS. Truly the best decision my husband and I have made for our daughters.

Posted January 22, 2013

I am very pleased with the school. I have two children who attend the school. Small class sizes and caring teachers make it a great school. I couldnt be happier as the before and after program is great for working parents. You get what you pay and saint mary magdalene is worth every penny. Seeing the smiles on my childrens faces is all i need to see

Posted January 8, 2013

The school is under new leadership and has shown great improvement. There are many caring and well qualified teachers. They have a new updated computer lab. Academic and atheletics are strong. The pre-k department is excellent. My children have done well at this school. They are strict about their rules and expectations but I consider this a strength.

Posted September 24, 2012

There was some hope for the school when the new principle came on board. That hope has faded away. She is continuing the same mismanagement that was started by the previous principle, and she continues to keep blatantly unqualified people on staff. There is one teacher who is so unqualified that she can't do basic tasks concerning her job. I would steer clear of this school, and look elsewhere. At this school, Your children will not get what they need for their future. They will get caught up in a lot of drama, cronyism and nepotism.

Posted April 14, 2012

The legacy left behind by the previous principle is still hurting the school. There are still unqualified teachers and staff at the school, and the school is still far below the level of what other private schools in Houston reached 10 years ago. More parents need to really get involved, instead of just showing up for PTO meetings SOMETIMES, and letting 5-10 of the truly dedicated parents do everything. Hopefully, the new principle will continue to show the promise she has shown in the past, and will not be afraid to do what needs to be done to make the school great.

Posted February 29, 2012

The new principal has shown tremendous leadership. She has brought back a strong Catholic presence with a commitment to academic excellence and safety.

Posted June 24, 2011

The Good School does provide a moral and religious formation. Students do receive a better education than our public school (could see a big difference from our exemplary public school and St. Mary's) Very strict. Good, our kids need to understand that rules exist and need to be followed. Provide sufficient feedback (good or bad) so the parent can also take appropriate measures. The Bad Went to several PTO meetings and they were a bit lost (IMHO). School is a bit run down but they are there for an education. Like any school, it's all about fundraising, I wish they would just have a strong budget (with increase in tuition) so we do not get nickled and dimed all thru the year. Overall I am very pleased with the education and values my son is getting at St. Mary's and he will be returning next year. The positives do outweigh the negatives in a significant manner.

Posted June 24, 2011

hi I'm Autumn Langston. I've been going to this school since Pre-k 4- 4th grade i love this school a lot. i really love the teachers i had. and i also really love the friends i known since i was in pre-k.

Posted May 5, 2011

I have read the other ratings on this school and I can give you my experience. The education is significantly above average, their kindergarten class can read at a 2nd grade level (they have weekly spelling tests with works like umbrella - in Kindergarten!) The students that graduate and go into the public program are at a minimum 2 grades above their "public educated peers." Now that being said, the school is not for everyone. The teachers are very strict - very. They do not put up with bullying, disrespect or misbehavior. Every child I have met over the past 4 yrs that has left this school was due to a behavior problem. Many parents do not like being told their child was disruptive, disrespectful or a behavior problem. I for one I am grateful for their strict guidelines. I am constantly told how polite and well behaved my children are and I give some credit to their school. If you do not have rules at home or do not expect your children to respect others and behave, this is definitely not the school for you.

Posted February 9, 2011

I removed my child from this school after Christmas break started, due to the poor education level in the school. Like a previous poster stated, it is a mediocre school, with poor front office management, and below average teachers. There has been a exodus from the school over the past few years.

Posted February 2, 2011

This is a Mediocre Public school, with private school tuition. There are limited extracurricular activities, and many on the staff seem to think they are in a public school, and so they are just there to collect a paycheck. If you have a mediocre child, and are looking for a mediocre school, this is where you should come to. The local public schools offer more, which isn't saying much.

Posted January 15, 2011

My two daughters are attending SMMCS, in Prek-3 and Prek-4. This is my second year as a parent and love this school very much. The experience my girls are having in the classroom is incomparable, they have very caring teachers and I can see they are receiving a great education, foundation and stimulation in all areas of development. I can see that their teachers really care for their students and pay attention to little details and specially that are very open when you need to ask something and keep good communication with the parents. I am blessed to be able to afford a private education and make sacrifices for the girls. I really recommend this school to all my friends.

Posted October 13, 2010

My daughter has attended St. Mary's for 3 years and I just enrolled my 3 year old in pre-school. We love the school! Not only are my children getting an A+ education but they are also building a solid moral and ethical foundation. The school is strict, they do not put up with inappropriate behaviour. But the children seem to love the structure and they have fun. My daughter is writing complete sentences, with the proper punctuation and she just started Kindergarten 4 weeks ago. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted January 23, 2009

My son has been at st. Mary's for 3 years now. He has done very well. I'm very pleased with the instruction, discipline and religious foundation he has been given! I plan on sending my other 2 children to st. Mary's as well. I have recommended many friends and noone has been disappointed.

Posted April 19, 2007

This is a relatively new school and still has some growing pains. BUT it is a great school,my child attends and I couldn't be happier. We are adding extracurricular activities each year and will continue to do so as the school continues to grow. We have cheerleading, art club, drama club, computer club, tutoring, Student Council, Choir, and many other activities. My child has thrived at this school and I am proud to be a part of this great school.

Asian 5% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• NAEYC
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (281) 466-8527

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Galveston-Houston

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

530 Ferguson St