Bad
Good

My children went to Deerwood for six years, after having been at Greentree Elementary for six years as well. I compare the two a lot! Deerwood was a wonderful experience, I was very active in the PTA, and was a homeroom parent every year. We had excellent teachers, with one exception, and I feel that my children both received an above-average learning experience. The school does tend to be a little political, for the adults, so just be aware of it and all will be fine. I have no complaints, only accolades.

I don't think I'll ever forget routinely passing by a darkened (all-day, every day) 1st-grade classroom where the students were "resting," (another daily event) i.e. crawling all over the floor, and the teacher was painting her toenails and texting. Not at the same time, of course. . .true story. But I guess when you're an "expert" (per the principal) at Writing Workshop, giving children high marks for neatness (coloring well), which we call "quality," you're allowed a litle more slack?

My children went back to Deerwood after a couple of years in a different state. I really wanted to give the school another chance as we have several friends who are happy with the school. I have to say we were still very disappointed. The TAKS is still the main focus and the teachers we encountered were grouchy. My children were very unhappy, so they now attend a different school.I think it is a shame that the atmosphere in this school is so negative, there are a lot of great kids and a lot of terrific parents, but the staff needs some refreshing.

We put our children in Deerwood after leaving a private school in the area. While my children have had to make some adjustments because of the differences, they love the school. Both have had very good teachers and they've thrived in their new environment. I've found everyone at the school to be very helpful and welcoming. And the physical education program is great! I can't say much about the principal. I've met her and seen her a few times, but I don't get the impression that she's a very visible figure at the school.

I have had numerous children go through this school, as well as currently have children there. I find the school to be excellent in all areas. No school is perfect, so one shouldnt expect perfection. That being said, the administration has always met with me, listened to me, and responded. The staff and teachers are excellent. It doesnt mean that you will not find a teacher that periodically decides to retire for whatever reason, and sometimes it is a good idea. But on the whole, you couldnt ask for a better education and experience for your children, all paid for by your tx dollars. As well, parent involvement is superior, like no other!

Last modified Deerwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.