Universal Academy

Charter | PK-12 | 704 students

Living in Irving

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $109,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Posted December 3, 2004

My children have been attending Universal Academy for the past two years. In the beginning I was satisfied with the education they have received. My concern is the professionalism of the entire staff and teachers at Universal. There are several concerns with inadequate supplies for student use. This school could really be a high quality school if the staff, teachers, and parents pull together to achieve this.

Posted October 24, 2004

My son attened UA of Irving. I have to say we were treated with no respect at all. It is a moslty black school. At first we had no problem with that. I was raised were color of skin didnt raise any issues. But I soon found out that I wasnt the only one who was being shoved aside. When you did give feed back in which that asked us to do. The (whites) were shoved to the side. I only found this out by talking to another mother who said she was treated very harshly too. She took her son out before I did. I really wished I had sooner. I don't think this school is all together in fairness.

Posted September 22, 2004

This is my daughter's first year at UA. I transferred her from public school because I have heard nothing but good things about the curriculum and the teachers. During the first few weeks of school, I had a few problems with her behavior, but that was quickly resolved with the help of the teachers, principals, councelors, and directors. We all joined forces to take care of the problems and that within itself says a lot about the staff at UA. I often find myself dropping in on her classes and her teachers invite me in with open arms. If the Lord says the same, my daughter will continue to go to UA until she graduates. Keep up the good work.

Posted September 19, 2004

My daughter attended pre-k at this school for a month. I withdrew her because the work given to her wasn't challenging her. I addressed my concerns with the principal who was courteous but no help in solving the problem. He referred me to the director over the pre-k program. The director was rude, disrespectful, and uncaring toward me. Also this school's disciplinary procedure is corporal punishment. I find this type of discplinary action unacceptable. I teach my children violence is not answer and attitude is very important. Universal Academy has the wrong attitude and doesn't accept any constructive feedback from parents. The overall experience was horrible for my daughter and me, the parent. I would never recommend this school to any parent.

Posted August 19, 2004

I am sad,I am forced to put my daugh. back into IISD.I was fed up with IISD for my son and daugh.(10yr between both.)I prayed looking for a school that offered a high academic level.IISD had no books,rude teachers and was teaching from films and would not let the students take notes. When my son was in IISD I was told there were not enough books, 10 yrs later, the books were out of date. At UA.Academics are awsome, I am a teacher in Children's Church for 3-6 yrs, I can tell which child attends UA and the one that does not. UA children can write,spell,read and behave at church. I have enrolled my child because of down sizing, all of her credits transfered. I had not doubt,when my daughter attended her games, she was well taken care of. UA grew fast because another chrter school closing, growing pains are visual. Good Luck UA! We will miss you!

Posted August 11, 2004

My child attends Universal Academy and I am very pleased with the academic success that she has received since being at the school. At this time, my child is above reading level and its due to the thanks of the teachers, reading coordinators, after school staff, and the librarian of the school that has made this possible. True, there are some problems that should be worked out but with every good plan come problems but you should not focus on the problem but the solution. Through all of the U.A. problems that have occurred within the years, it still has not effected the education that the teachers have given to those children. But let's just be real, is there any perfect school anywhere? No there is not. If you can not be apart of the solution then you are apart of the problem. As a parent, I am apart of the solution.

Posted July 27, 2004

My daughter has been in UA since the 4th grade. In recent times the school has seemed to have 'dropped the ball'. They have financial problems with keeping things together, which in consequence has certain members of the staff selling junk food to the kids to slowly straw away from the red zone in debt. Recently the school has chosen to drop grades ten through twelve three weeks before scholl starts again in a mandatory meeting held july 27th 2004. The kids have worked hard to graduate early with honors and extra credits, but with no gurantee that there transcripts will be accepted at new schools if they can find one in time for school to start.

Posted July 13, 2004

My child attended UA for the first year this year. I am pleased with the teachers and the level of education my child received. My child came from public school with so-called behavior problems. Through a counselor I changed schools and was pleased. My child did not have one behavior problem beside the normal talking and giggling when you're not supposed to be. But if you don't get those giggles out sometimes I would be concerned. The school overall doesn't look great, but I volunteered as much as possible to see exactly what was really going on. I will admit I did see some questionable behavior sometimes here and there, but no one school is perfect. During TAKS time, I was very well pleased with the level of education the kids were getting. My son wil be returning this year and is looking foward to returning also.

Posted May 17, 2004

My daughter has been at UA, Irving for 2 years. They have an excellent academic program. But the environment and mentality are very questionable. I agree with the parent below that states, 'as long as you don't are blatantly rude when it comes to respect of the parent and a lot of timest the student. The 'know it all' attitude is what is keeping my child from attending there another year. I am very offended at the attitudes and the skill level currently at UA. Parents please consider when enrolling your child what attitudes are being taught.

Posted February 25, 2004

We love Universal Academy. I have been a parent at this school since 1998. My son is one of the first Pre-K students to start at Universal Academy. This school has given my child a great start in education.

Posted October 28, 2003

They will tell you that parent involvement is required however as long as you do not share you own opinion on something, you are fine but if you have a problem or an issue (like no soap or toilet paper in bathroom) you are quickly pushed aside. Most of the times the water fountains do not work. If you child graduates from this school, be prepared to hear 'school not qualified' on your scholarship reject letters.

Posted August 25, 2003

The teachers at Universal Academy are highly intelligent, friendly and truly teach children how to succeed! As long I am in DFW my son will attend Universal Academy.

Posted August 10, 2003

My Daughter has completed 3 years at Universal Academy. She is approaching her forth year. I love the school. I Volunteer almost everyday. The open door policy procedure to sit in on classes when deemed necessary. They expect and require parent involvement.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

88 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

88 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

65 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

65 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

64 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

41 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

41 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

40 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

48 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

48 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

36 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

36 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

37 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

31 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

27 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

27 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

All Students71%

World History

Female78%
Black or African American90%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".

Asian or Pacific Islander 2% 4%

• SHERATON DUFFEY
Fax number
  • (972) 255-6122

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2616 North MacArthur Boulevard