Universal Academy

Charter | PK-12 | 704 students

Living in Irving

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $109,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Posted May 5, 2014

In response to the April 14, 2014 post/review. You must be talking about a different campus. These reviews are for Universal Academy in Coppell Texas. Your review is clearly Not for this campus because it does Not go through High School & they have Not been around 14 years. This next school year 2014/2015 is the 1st year they are going up to 9th grade. So disregard the post from April 14, 2014 as it is obviously Not the same campus.

Posted May 5, 2014

This school is so rude to the students, our children. My kids will not be attending next year. My daughters self esteem was crushed by a teacher making fun of her and when approached by me it only made the rest of the school year even worse for her. I should have pulled her out of the school right then but I kept thinking it would get better. I was wrong. This school will be shut down soon if the down make some major changes!

Posted April 14, 2014

In response to the April 8, 2014 comment addressed to two administrators at Universal Academy. I am a proud parent of Universal Academy. My oldest son started at Universal Academy and greaduated from Universal Academy in 2013. My youngest children still attend UA. I have known these two administrators for 14 years and I can say without hesitation or doubt they are most certainly carin, compassionate and respectful to all students. Everyone at UA cares tremendously about the well-being and academic success of every child at this school. I have just as much faith in UA as I had in them when my family first came to the school 14 years ago. To the administrators, faculty, staff, teachers and students continue doing the things that have made you great. Never let anyone deter you, stay the course, keep your eyes on the prize and know that the best is yet to come! To soar to the heights of eagles is to find a place where few go and only the very best can reach! Universal Academy I still believe - Together We Fly! - Y. Brown

Posted April 14, 2014

This school is very rigorous and structured. If your child is not respectful or disciplined then UA will not be the right school for your child. If you are a parent of very little academic involvement, again this is not YOUR school of choice. Universal Academy is a school of high expectations- academically and behaviorally.

Posted September 13, 2013

This is the most HORRIBLE mistake I have made by sending my daughter to this school. If you haven't experienced difficulty keep your child there and I promise you will. The staff is disrespectful. They curse and as ignorant as it sounds they have also been known to make fun of the kids!!! My child has told me some of the things that was said to her and other kids that you would not believe a grown up or most important an educator would say to a kid. The so called principal or owners are a nightmare. The teachers are rude because she gives them the ok to do so. Take your kids out now!!! I have filed complaints with BBB and has spoken with TEA and watch the news they will one day be shut down. They have violated several government rules and are under investigation.

Posted August 23, 2013

Honestly, I have not experienced the issues that the other parents are speaking on. My child has been a A&B student ever since I've enrolled her. Not only that she has received many UIL awards. My child had never made commended on a test until she was also enrolled in Universal Academy. What people fail to realize is that Universal Academy has a low tolerance for disrespect from students, which puts them on top. If the students aren't learning how to respect a teacher at home they are learning it at their school. My child will be at Universal Academy till her senior year.

Posted August 5, 2013

My greatest regret as a parent! My son was bullied in a way you would never expect in 1st grde. For weeks I tried to talk to Mrs. David (the principal) who refused to address the issue. I pulled my son out the day I picked him up early for a doctor appointment and noticed he had a handprint on his face and neck (yes I took pictures and reported it) the principal closed the door to her office and refused to speak with me. I told them I wouldn't bring him back until they provided a solution. After not hearing from them for two weeks I pulled him out. That was the only day Mrs. Davis spoke to me, and all she said was that she was glad she wouldn't have to deal with me. I was shocked! I have never been so disrespected...not to mention the fact that she never had to "deal" with me because she refused to talk to me! I have 4 friends who've pulled their children out for un-addressed bullying. Basically, if your child isn't Indian, they'll be different and will not be accepted. I had to pay $75 a week for 6 months of therapy and had to homeschool! Do not SEND your children here. I wish there were a way those who have been victims here could start an investigation!

Posted July 9, 2013

I'm so glad to take my son out of this school this year he didn't learn nothing at all plus the number one reason I'm taking him out is because I got a call from the school that my 7 yr old had urinated his pants when I talked with my son he told me that the teacher didn't let him and she told him to be quiet!! I also witness how the teachers scream at the children infront of their parents so unprofessional that made me so angry! This school is also all about money school supplies you have to buy tons copy paper? Large sanitize bottles? And when my child came home with homework he will never bring a pencil to do his homework after purchasing packs after packs? This school is not like elementary schools that that school pictures he never brought home picture packages to buy? I dnt have no school pictures of my son they also dnt communicate well with you no school notes or nothing. Oh and with the school uniforms what a ripoff $30 bucks a shirt when I can buy regular $5.97 at Walmart for a regular elementary school I'm glad I'ma save much more this year 2013-2014 at another school. This school was so worthless and expensive and my son didn't learn nothing.

Posted May 24, 2013

I used to teach here and this school is a nightmare! Teachers are threatened with loss of their jobs for things such as not paying and joining the PTO and for unsatisfactory State test scores. (Maybe that's why the scores are higher here than one might expect?) There is nepotism in the administration (sisters, mothers, sons, sister-in-laws) and funds don't seem to be spent on necessities for the students. My friend works at the Coppell campus and things seem to be better there probably because the area is more affluent and parents probably expect and demand more. Adminstration is just plain mean, as someone else said in their review. Horrible place to work. I'm glad I was hired by an ISD and able to get out of there. I can't believe this place hasn't be investigated!

Posted May 6, 2013

I used to teach here also. It was a horrible expierence. The satff is stressed the administrators are mean and the facilities are very poor. I have to say that I do not belive the children learned and were intimidated. I do not understand how the school hasn't been investigated yet as everyone I talk to says there is a problem. As a former teacher there I would NOT allow my child to attend this school. Just because you have Academy in your name doesn't mean you are an academy. Please parents do your research before you allow your child to go there.

Posted May 5, 2013

I also used to teach at this school. I completely agree with the comments of the teacher below. The entire experience was a nightmare for me as a teacher. Facilities were almost unacceptable. Library was minimal. Administration only interested in numbers.

Posted October 28, 2012

This used to be an excellent school, they changed the principal in the last couple years and the dynamic shifted from encouraging parent involvement to an unfriendly, very restrictive, very 'punitive' environment for the students where the parents have little to no involvement except for monetary donations. This school use to have a nice student body 'mix' now the school is 99% Indian. If you want a military school environment then UA is for you. UA's BEST days are behind them!

Posted February 8, 2011

My both kids go to Universal Academy. I am very happy with their performance in their academics.I am amazed by the efforts teachers put for their personal growth of a child when it comes to personality & discipline as well.It can only happen when teacher spends appropriate time with each student and that teacher is able to outline the personality and intellectual level of each child.It has helped me allot in their personal grooming.For me, education is not the only thing I look into if I send my kids to particular school, Its a place to learn and that definitely includes all the aspects to child's positive growth. I have seen allot of change in my kids owing to their one year education in UA..Feels great that you get results without stressing out your child to any other sources of education like Kumon or Gideon. One does not require any outside education resource if you are going to this school.It has it all.Their extra curricular activities have improved which I am very happy about. Great School,Supportive Teachers, Clean Environment and very responsive PTO..Love it...

Posted February 3, 2011

I taught at this school for a short time. I left after I realized they had limited curriculum, few working computers, no soap in the bathrooms (students are expected to use hand sanitizer that is brought with their school supplies, teachers who are uncertified (most) are rarely given the support needed to get certified because the administrators know that once teachers are certified they will leave, the library is a joke, teachers have almost no time to plan their lessons, and teachers have been paid weeks late because the school lacked funding (also heath insurance has been canceled for non-payment). Do not believe the hype. This is not better than the public education your student could receive down the street. Blocks away, your student could have access to experienced and educated teachers, working computers, a real library, supplies available for science projects and field trips, professional administrators, and quality music, art, physical education, computer classes, and extracurricular activities. Please visit your local school and compare the difference.

Posted November 4, 2010

I love this school! When I had started fourth grade here, I thought I would be left out because I had recently moved from Philadelphia. But I started making friends and I was really enjoying the classes and activities provided by the school. The teachers and staff are great here. I am proud to be an Eagle!

Posted October 5, 2010

UA is horrible. Teachers & Administration is unqualified (check TEA to see if they are certified). They run this school as a business, profiting off the students by charging uniform violations & outrageous fees. "DieHard" students are leaving to go to ISDs. Your child deserves better than UA.

Posted September 2, 2010

Universal Academy is one of the best schools in the state of Texas. My child has been a student at UA since he started school and he is now well above average due to the outstanding curriculum and teachers. I have never experienced anything but great things at Universal Academy. I think it is sad that people have nothing else to do but trash a great school!

Posted June 14, 2010

Dealing with the Staff in Admissions department is a nightmare. Most unprofessional approach and unorganized. They dont listen your concern.. rather says - listen to me. This is it. Parents-Beware.. UA is no longer a great school.

Posted May 30, 2010

Both Principals at the Coppell campus are not well qualified. They do not seem to have any leadership experience. There is no transparency. Where exactly is all the money parents are donating going?? I know they receive less funds than a public school, but there is never enough money. Be careful. I went to a great public school here in the DFW area. The children here do not have adequate resources--computers, projectors, desks, microscopes, gym lockers, enough bathrooms etc.

Posted October 29, 2009

We had the same experience as well at Universal Academy in Irving. Disciplinary measures lean towards threatening/yelling and we did not find it to be a nuturing positive situation for my 1st grader. We have since enrolled him in a public school where he is thriving.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

88 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

88 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

65 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

65 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

64 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

41 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

41 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

40 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

48 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

48 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

36 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

36 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

37 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

31 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

27 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

27 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

All Students71%

World History

Female78%
Black or African American90%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".

Asian or Pacific Islander 2% 4%

• SHERATON DUFFEY
Fax number
  • (972) 255-6122

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2616 North MacArthur Boulevard