Irving, TX

Johnston Elementary School 4

Posted January 26, 2012
My children attended AS Johnston in the 90's, and now my grandchild is attending his 2nd year. The school has improved, greatly. In the 90's I ended up pulling my children out and homeschooling them. However, I believe my grandchild is receiving top-notch education. The teachers are available, daily, for conferencing. They always answer their email. The teachers seem to be sincerly concerned about the child's progress. The principal is very approachable and actively involved in the daily operations of the school. The classes are small (in spite of the operation cuts). I would highly recomend this school.

Posted May 06, 2010
Would not reccommend this school to anyone. Three of my children have gone here, and I regret daily my decision to move into the neighborhood so they could attend a 'better school.' Communication between teachers and parents does not exist. Principal has a very condesending attitude, and only TAKS skills are taught. When my oldest child went on to 6th grade in the GT program, his new teachers have commented that he is far behind other students who attended other IISD schools.

Posted July 29, 2008
Johnston has come a long way. It has changed in so many ways. The administration is great. They are always thinking about the students. And yes they do have new teachers, but very good ones at that. Changes do happen in a lot of places and school is also a place where changes are made. Always remember that changes are good. And by reviewing the TAKS scores you can also see the effort is has taken to come this far. And also the students are very very happy. Also Johnston does need more parent volunteers in the school. But again I would highly recommend A.S. Johnston to anyone. Johnston will shine!

Posted July 29, 2008
My child has attended Johnston for 3 years. I have been extremely impressed with the science, math and reading curriculum. My child enjoys the hands on experience in science and math. I have been impressed with the administrative push towards reading. I have had several conversations with ASJ's new adminstrative team. WOW! they really know curriculum and they seem to care about my child and the other 500+ students at the school. They are really trying to build a community within the school. This is refreshing.

Posted July 29, 2008
As a parent, I feel that Johnston is a great school. My child has gained tremendous confidence in herself academically. I know that she has enjoyed attending Johnston and cannot wait to return next year.

Posted July 28, 2008
I am proud to say I am a very happy parent at Johnston. I have had 2 chilren go through Johnston and I now have a child in the first grade. Under the new administration the school has completely turned around. The TAKS scores speak for themselves. They went up considerably from previous years and that is hands down due to the new administration. Teachers are more involved then ever before. If more parents would get involved it would be close to perfect.

Posted May 21, 2008
This school lacks communication skills to inform parents of students progress in class as well as conduct of their children. I would not recommend this school to no one who is thinking about sending their child there. Though the teachers are good there still that huge lack of communication which is not good for a parent to hear. The administration staff there is a lack as well. I would recommend Townley Elementary they are more structured and invovled in communicating with parents. No school is perfect, but Johnston does not get my vote.

Johnston Elementary School 0

Posted January 20, 2008
Not seen bad school than this. Staff looks negligent and school administration does not care. Teachers change and parent does not know.

Johnston Elementary School 3

Posted October 31, 2007
I feel the school has poor promotion of what they would like to see at the school. There is poor communication between some of the teachers and that effect parent involvement. This is my childrens first year in Irving ISD and I think the district not just the school has a cry for help, more involvement of the public and community would help the schools along the road to success

Posted March 01, 2007

Johnston Elementary School
2801 Rutgers Drive, Irving, TX  75062
Last modified Johnston Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Johnston Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top