Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

From teachers to principal to Vice Principal entire staff needs re training We need new staff from front to back

Amount of homework: Disagree

Most work is on the computer Yes I do think they give too much work My child was reading a poem given by a teacher The poem is very sexual and excessive content for a minor even if it's a poem from English Class

I have had the worst experience at Mac this week. My child was harassed, scared , intimidated , questioned , bullied by the truancy officer when I reported the incident the VP had no time to see me the Principal offered to move my child to another school he was rude and disrespectful the degree he holds is worthless he accused me of harassing him and his staff when I asked for answers the officer took my daughter into his office alone which caused her to be scared the principal and VP are very unprofessional when in meeting to discuss the situation we were interrupted and had to remind him of what we were discussing I wrote a letter to both P and VP that my daughter was not to be questioned without her parents present the ignored the request and allowed it once again the response from Principal was that he has no control of everything that happens at the campus which is very concerning This may be due to being preoccupied with other non Mac Arthur's HS issues or him not being able to handle this position he allows bulling from his staff our children are learning from these people parents concerns are ignored the example set from these 3 adults give much concern the Irving ISD needs to reevaluate the position the truancy officer the principal and the vice principal hold as they are not doing a good job

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

At least half of the teachers should not be teaching kids EVER. They are either way past their prime for teaching or are right out of college and have no idea what they are doing.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Too much for AP. Not enough homework in other classes. Because of AP, they wouldn't have time anyway.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

They used to, but they don't care anything about your kids now. If they are honest, they are punished. And no it's not fair when it comes to the teachers. They pick their favorites and they treat the other students like dirt.

This school has gone from a 10 to a 1 in a matter of 9 months. I blame this 100% on the new Principal. This school is run like a military camp, with horrible food, unrealistic rules, and all 'fun' activities taken away. They are threatened with court and jail if they are tardy. Theft is so rampant at this school that it is unbelievable. AP History teachers give several hours of notes each night, instead of actually TEACHING while they are in class, which means no time for their core class homework or sports. They refuse, and I mean refuse to let your child out of AP, even when you have signed several slips for this to happen. Teachers obviously set you up to fail. They just don't care. This is true for 50% of the teachers at this school. And don't report bullying. Your child will be blamed instead of the child who is actually doing the bullying. And the parent is put down as well. We just don't report theft or bullying anymore. Not worth the humiliation and disrespect that the 'fine' staff at Mac makes sure you endure.

My daughters absolutely LOVE MacArthur high school! MacArthur has the most school spirit in the district as well as the highest AP scores. The AVID program (college prep) is new but very helpful, both of my daughters are in it and I see a lot of improvement. There's really something for everybody from FCA or Student Council to Skate Club and a Rock band called M5. There's AT LEAST 35 extracurriculars at Mac that I can name to you. This is what sets Mac apart from other schools. There are tutoring opportunities before and after school and there is even a late bus that will take the students that stayed for a club or tutoring. The teacher's at Mac genuinely care for their student's and it shows. The principal and VP's are very involved with the school, I see them at every school event! Everyone who gave Mac low rankings didn't take the initiative to actually get involved with the school or had students that didn't. Taking those higher AP courses and getting involved in a group is what makes the experience at Mac unforgettable.

I am a sophomore at MacArthur and I absolutely love it here! The teachers try to help as much as they can. The students at the school are the most sweetest people. I love this school! I recommend this school for any high school student or parent that wants their child to have fun in school while they are learning.

This school is the bare minimum. Everything is done on the computer and there are no hands on teachers. A student can easily get lost and loose hope with this kind of environment. Most of the kids don't care and are just as disconnected as the teachers. If your child needs attention and hands on instruction, this is not the school for you. My son attended one semester and I suffered due to the severe change in his personality. He gave up because he felt ignored and did not receive good hands on teaching. The school does have good school spirit and I find that odd in this kind of environment, but it is a 5A school.

Last modified Macarthur High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.