Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Travis Middle School 5

Posted May 26, 2016
The staff, across the board, is very responsive and attentive. Teachers and staff go the extra mile. My child is very happy and has excelled in all areas at Travis. The student body is very diverse. I'm very happy our experience.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 26, 2016
I want to thank math teacher, Ms. Maue, and science teacher, Ms. Glowacki. Band Teacher Ms. Shine is also outstanding. I also want to thank Principal Gilcrease and all the staff who go out of their way to help things run smoothly for students.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted May 26, 2016
My child has excelled in different subjects because of the strength of her teachers. She had proactively told me about how good some of her teachers are.

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted May 26, 2016
On the topic of homework, I can't say much. I don't have a strong opinion on how much is enough. What I can say is that my child has learned a lot either way.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted May 26, 2016
The athletics program in particular stands out. They do instill a sense of grit in the students. Band is also led by very passionate teachers.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted May 26, 2016
I have seen the school and it's staff appreciate their students. They speak very positively, and the overall behavior of kids' here is about as good as you can expect from a middle school. Yes, I have observed shenanigans and tomfoolery, but as much is expected. Overall, the kids are respectful of each other and adults.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted May 26, 2016
In observing how staff interact with students, I see the compassion. I've never heard staff speak to students in a demeaning way nor has my child complained of such.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 26, 2016
My child has never complained to me about feeling neglected or overlooked by her teachers. Minor things can happen, but she is generally very content by how she is treated by Travis staff.

Travis Middle School 1

Posted January 13, 2016
If your child has special needs.. even minor needs.. this is not the school for you. While I feel many of the teachers and staff have great intentions.. the environment gets in the way. The majority of the kids are unruly. The staff struggles to maintain safety. There are weekly physical fights. Witness tend to give accounts based on friendship so if you child is not in good with the tough kids... you child will be blamed. The principals are not supportive of finding a solution or separating kids when they are known to have issues with each other. This is keeps the battles going and interferes with learning. They are told to report incidents immediately but are not supported when they do. The staff.. in particular the councilors and principles have a lot of excuses but no resolution or follow through. This has been a very stressful year for my child and we are going to be pulling her out of school to a new school. We are in fact, moving to a different district to protect her safety at school. My stomach is in knots everyday that she has to attend. She has been called names, beat on, antagonized, made fun of, and down right humiliated. She has very few friends and none of whom are willing to stand up to the mean kids. I can't blame them. At this point there is no hope for change unless the administration is changed. The principal is unwilling to engage in productive conversation and makes you feel judged as a parent only trying to get to the bottom of the situation, even if that means your child is in the wrong. As parents we can't fix what is broken and we have been very vocal about wanting to know if our child is behaving poorly. I have had the principal roll her eyes, heavy sighs, sits with arms crossed and if I come back later with questions she is "put-out" that I am still talking about it. I would not recommend sending your child to this school.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted November 02, 2015
The toxic environment prevents excellent teachers from doing their jobs effectively. Teachers intimidated by administration for trying to do their jobs.

1600 Finley Road, Irving, TX  75062
Last modified Travis Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.