Irving, TX
Students enrolled: 1,012

Travis Middle School 2

Posted May 20, 2015
There is no discipline at the administrative level. My child has wonderful teachers but the "bad" seeds are allowed to run wild and it seems that the teachers aren't getting any support from the administration to help control them. In one of children's classes, a student threw a desk. The teacher did her job and had him removed from the classroom, but the principal tried to send him back to class. The students who want to learn are being forced to sit in classrooms with these kids who are suffering no consequences for their actions and their education is being stolen from them by the administrators who turn a blind eye to the students that are causing so much disruption in classes that my children, and others like them, have difficulty learning. One of my older children came home last week and told me that the kids who are always causing the problems and failed their STAAR test the first time were given pizza for lunch by the administration the other day for "all of their hard work" getting ready to retake the test. The kids who worked hard all year and actually passed the first time were "rewarded" by watching those kids eat pizza for lunch while they ate the regular school lunch and didn't even get recognized. Thank God for the teachers here. My kids love them and have even been encouraged by them. It is the administrators that my children don't trust. It is because they aren't the students throwing desks, walking out of classrooms and cussing out teachers. Those kids are rewarded by administration with no consequences and pizza parties.

Posted March 27, 2013
I want to speak to the problem of bullying at Travis Middle School. I am a parent of two Irving ISD students one whom is on the autism spectrum and is in a GT curriculum. Bullying is a key issue for autism spectrum students and as a parent I have always had my radar up about ANYTHING that seems to be related to bullying. I have gone to parent seminars on bullying and have spoken with the head of the counseling department about it. In my estimation the school district is doing everything it can to get 100% on top of the bullying problems which plauge all schools (I mean, the worst bullying I saw came from a catholic school I attended for a short while). I think the best features about the bullying education, (They have a anti-bullying curriculum now which is taught at all levels Elementary thru high school, It is fantastic!) are the ways they include the parents in the education process so the parents know what signs of bullying to look for and which "channels" within the school system to use to speak out and advocate for their child. Yes, I have used those channels and they do work! Irving ISD is fantastic, bottom line.

Travis Middle School 1

Posted August 06, 2012
I would not recommend Travis for anyone. The administrators seem to be more concerned about uniforms than with actual discipline. When I attended Travis, bullying was a serious problem, and I felt that the administrators were not handling the situation well enough. I'm thankful that my brother did not go to this school.

Posted September 28, 2010
My son is in the GT program at Travis Middle School and I can't imagine him getting a better education. The teachers are professional and truly love the kids and seem to love teaching. The teachers are willing to tutor before and after school and are very assessible through email. I think the leadership of the school is fair and have high expecations of good behavior. The teachers encourage parent involvement in homework. Travis athletics teaching my son not only to excel physically but the coaches are teaching my son how to have good character on and off the field. They stress academics and appropriate behavior in the classroom or they don't play..period. I am a fan of Travis Middle School.

Travis Middle School 1

Posted May 05, 2010
Travis middle school has below average in teacher's willingness to help students. The bullying is outrageous and is not handling it right. They tend to lable kids more quickly than try to find resoultions to problems. I would not send your'e child to this school.

Travis Middle School

Posted August 09, 2007
The only thing I dont really like about this school are the lunches. I love the teachers but thats what really counts the education

Travis Middle School 4

Posted December 31, 2005
Academic programs were slightly above average - excellent Gifted and Talented program (including a GT Parents Group, which offers workshops, discussion groups and activities for the GT Children). While the student body was racially diverse, I did not see any racial tension that resulted in fighting, abuse etc. Drugs were around, but not prevalent. Administrators seemed to care for the children, but I would have liked to see better coaching (only speaking on the girls side - no exposure to the boys sports programs). Would recommend this school to other parents.

Posted May 26, 2005
This is my granddaughters 1st year there and it is wonderful, parents, teachers and students all tak an active part to make this school what it is

Posted January 04, 2005
My daughter is in 6th grade and has fallen in love with Travis. All her teachers are very helpful and come in early & stay late to help her if she is not understanding her assignments. Principals are ready to help if there is a problem w/another student or if she just needs a smile. I feel 6th grade should have more electives but she has something to look forward to next year. She always feels safe. Thanks Travis MS

Travis Middle School
1600 Finley Road, Irving, TX  75062
Last modified Travis Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Travis Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top