No rating

The Highlands School

Private | PK-12 | 405 students

We are best known for academics and formation.

Living in Irving

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $109,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Posted June 17, 2012

My children have been attending THS for the past 4 years and couldn't be happier. The children are happy and well adjusted and the education and formation that they have received has been truly amazing. My daughter has been accepted to one of the Top 10 Universities and will start in the fall. THS has outstanding teachers, wonderful formation and top level sports. It's important to keep reviews in perspective. There are many reasons that make people post negative reviews. I am happy with everything here and most importantly, my children are in a place where they thrive and love coming to each day.

Posted June 10, 2012

The School means well but fails in many areas. School administrators and key positions have been a revolving door since we have been there for over 8 years. Teacher quality is very inconsistent and school rules seems to change each year. (Note prior post praising the Principal only 3 weeks 5/23 ago and now he is leaving.) Some years there is no PE other years sports are outright cancelled. The Legionary of Christ Priest are great, the sacrements and spiritual direction are always avaialble and the faith is strongly enriched by the priest, brothers and consercrated women, unfortunatley the school's incompetence at many acedemic and extra-curricular activities creates a warped imbalance of formation for our children and raises the question as to the overall leadership of the school. For several years we have supported the school but now see things getting worse , not better. We have multi children at the school and are now leaving the school. Our children's time is precious and we must be custodians of our finances. THS has failed us in the overall education of our children, there are multi-better Catholic/Christian choices elsewhere in the metoplex. A Parent.

Posted June 8, 2012

I could not agree more with the post earlier below. Run as fast as you can from here. Its been such a disappointment and we've been there for many years...We are not returning....Terrible leadership, financial disaster, and leadership vacuum. Someone wrote: I do not recommend this school. With every passing year it has gotten worse. We have been at the Highlands for 10 years and every year there is a change in Principal. They have no direction. The school talks allot about Formation, unfortunately majority of the teachers and admin staff have no idea how to lead by example. They focus on negative reinforcement and allow student and teacher verbal bulling. . It's shocking to think that this is a Catholic school. The enrollment numbers keep dropping which has meant elimination of certain arts and sports programs. The Highlands is not an academically strong and do not expect any help from teachers should you notice that your child is not doing well in a specific subject. Submitted by a parent

Posted May 25, 2012

The Highlands School is a school sponsored by the Legion of Christ. My experience with the Legion of Christ has covered almost every area of the school: as a student for 14 years; as part of the administration and leadership team for 20 years and I have taught for just a few years. Recently, I am a parent. Why? I have seen great non legionary schools in my life but there is something that makes the difference for me to choose the Highlands for my kids: many years of experience on many areas and in different Legionary schools have shown me the great impact these schools have on its students. All their schools, including The Highlands, work hard to bring great academic curriculum, support and encourage the athletic formation of each student but above all and most importantly, at least for me, it is the Spiritual and Human formation. I am convinced the formation I received during those years at their schools have given me what it takes to be able to successfully lead my own business and even more importantly, to lead a strong marriage and family. I am not alone... I have classmates and friends who are now, great politicians, great businessmen, wonderful husbands and fathers

Posted May 23, 2012

I have worked at The Highlands for several years and can not say enough about the quality of faculty and administration. Dr. von Weber, the principal, has put together a team of teachers that is as strong as any that you will find DFW, but it's more than just that just about the academics. Each of his teachers understand teaching to be their vocation, not just a job. As a result, you have an environment where the teachers will do whatever it takes to help the students learn and grow into strong Christian leaders and the students and parents trust that the school is always working in their best interest. If I had school-aged children this is where I'd want them to be. You will not find a more dedicated faculty and administration to partner with in the education of your children.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 22, 2012

I am extremely pleased by the formation my children have had in the lower school. I have three children at The Highlands, and they are so happy to be attending. My sense is that they feel safe and supported by the learning environment. The teachers care about our kids and communicate with us clearly. The extra curricular activities--like homecoming week, field day, etc.--are always anticipated by my children with great enthusiasm. They are learning a quality curriculum in a very safe, wooded, and quiet environment. We are very pleased.

Posted May 22, 2012

I have had three of my five children attend and graduate from the Highlands School. It is the plan of my husband and myself for the other two to graduate from here as well. We love that the Highlands offers not only intellectual formation but that solid Catholic values are taught and lived out (by the faculty) at all times. The school holds itself to a high standard in both these areas. My children who have graduated continued to be actively involved in their faith. The seed planted at Highlands will bear enduring fruit (gospel of John).

Posted May 22, 2012

The greatest thing about The Highlands School in my opinion is that it is a Catholic school where they actually believe in the teachings of the Catholic Church. At this school it is quite normal for everyone to be loyal to the Catholic tradition and loyal to the Holy Father.

Posted May 22, 2012

As a parent of two graduates from The Highlands who have since earned degrees from quality colleges and landed meaningful jobs, I have no doubt that the school's mission is genuine. These two boys have become young men who maintain their core beliefs and are fully engaged in modern society. Integral formation works! Hats off to the Highlands, its mission, and its teachers. p.s.- The new gym was a great addition to a beautiful campus!

Posted May 20, 2012

As a former student who spent eight years at the school i would like to say that though the lower school might be okay the middle and highschool environment are completely out of control. The School's constant changing of principles and directors makes it impossible for the school to have a firm grasp on discipline as well as education. It seemed to me that the schools main focus was to "brainwash" kids into becoming priests. Though some of the teachers had good intentions most of the time they would just have you read the book without going into detail over the material.

Posted March 4, 2012

My sons go to highlands. this is the best school so far they have gone to. our boys are very happy with the teachers. once they have gone, we found them morally and academically grown. we recommend this school to other parents

Posted January 30, 2012

I have been teaching at The Highlands for seven years. There are two main reasons that I have stayed, and plan to stay, as long as possible. First is the community of families, colleagues, and administrators. We are not a perfect community (there is no such thing), but we are united by a substantial sacramental life and dedicated to authentic Catholic teaching. The families really care about the school and how their children are educated. The second reason is related to the first: it is the way we teach. As someone put it once, "At The Highlands, we're 'Old School.'" We have all the modern accoutrements that any school has, technology in the classroom, etc., but at the heart of it all is an understanding of the true purpose of education: the formation of the person through the intellect. The academics are rigorous, but the faculty is caring. We understand the formative role of the intellect in relation to the whole person. We do not imitate the vogue and vanguard notions of education as propagated by the public school system. My children go to school here, and I wouldn't have them go anywhere else.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 9, 2012

WE LOVE THS! My child has been a student at The Highlands for many years. We love the school and the administration.

Posted January 9, 2012

We have been parents at THS for nine years now. All four of our children have started their academic careers in PreK3 with wonderful teachers and aides. The Catholic formation of The Highlands and the community of parents and educators working together set this school apart from all others. We couldn't be happier with the classical curriculum and high academic standards taught at THS. The many priests and religious are such a strong, visible presence leading the school. Our children leave happily for school each day and return with knowledge, confidence and assurance of God's love for them- this speaks volumes to me.

Posted January 7, 2012

My family has been at The Highlands for eleven years, and both my children have had their entire education to date at THS. Their standardized test scores are above the 86th percentile; they have grown in their Catholic faith; their character has been nurtured and strengthened by the formation offered by the school. I have enjoyed the all-school Masses with the Bishop celebrating. The Catholic faith is lived here, with faculty, staff, students, and families helping and supporting each other through prayer. Faculty is excellent, especially this past year. A teacher won the American Chemical Society s teacher of the year award. AP scores higher than national average. The college counselors are FANTASTIC. A senior this year got a full scholarship to the University of Chicago! Soccer made state finals three times in the last four years, and girls volleyball making the finals this year for the first time! Choir has won state three times in a row. Debate and Model UN garner awards. We love The Highlands and want our children to graduate from a school that prepares them for college through a rigorous curriculum that includes a formation program that will help them throughout life.

Posted January 6, 2012

I do not recommend this school. With every passing year it has gotten worse. We have been at the Highlands for 5 years and every year there is a change in Principal. They have no direction. The school talks allot about Formation, unfortunately majority of the teachers and admin staff have no idea how to lead by example. They focus on negative reinforcement and allow a certain amount of verbal bulling. There is a high number of spanish speaking families at this school. The parents themselves form clicks and their children follow the same example. It's shocking to think that this is a Catholic school. The enrollment numbers keep dropping which has meant elimination of certain arts and sports programs. The Highlands is not an academically strong and do not expect any help from teachers should you notice that your child is not doing well in a specific subject.

Posted December 22, 2011

My son has attended The Highlands for 4 years now and we have only had fantastic experiences. The small class sizes enable the teachers to be very hands on with the students and the students can get a great deal of attention. The teachers are wonderful to deal with and always have very open communication with the parents. All of the other families and students there are very warm and welcoming making the school feel connected as a family. My son loves going to school there and he will continue to attend for years to come.

Posted December 10, 2011

We are very pleased with this school. We have had children at the school for several years. The religious formation has always been in the area, but in the past couple of years the academics have improved signficantly with an influx on new teachers (many with advanced degrees) with a love of teaching. Each year the school is getting better and better.

Posted November 30, 2011

Stay Away from this school. The administration is the worst I have ever seen. We have been at the highlands for many years and in the last two years the school has gone down hill. The administration has no idea how to handle, educate, or discipline the kids in the upper grades. Our kids our bored and have no respect for their teachers. Only about 25% of all 8th graders continue into the high school and that number drops every year. We will not be attending the highlands next year due to the subpar administration and that is being nice.

Posted September 5, 2010

I originally reviewed this school as a new parent in May 2007. My conviction remains strong. The Highlands is an outstanding school. We couldn't be any happier with the academic, moral and character growth with our son, who is currently a junior. Father Alfonse Nazzaro was an integral part of the development of this school. His conviction, energy and fortitude was endless. We already miss him! John Borley is an outstanding leader as the executive director. The school is making strides with AP and dual credit classes. There are numerous outstanding teachers with stellar credentials. S.A.H.

Asian or Pacific Islander 14% 4%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:05 am
School end time
  • 3:40 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Fr. Daniel Ray
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Fax number
  • (972) 721-1691

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Advanced placement courses
  • Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Foreign languages taught
  • Latin
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • None
Vocational or skills-based training offered
  • None

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Dallas

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities

Apply now

What does it cost?

Tuition range for the 2011-2012 school year
$8000 - $11000
Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions

1451 E Northgate Dr