Universal Academy - Flower Mound

Charter | PK-12 | 1175 students

Our school is best known for Accelerated Academics/ PBL

Posted May 20, 2004

Being a charter school, teachers are able to teach the students on a much fast and advanced pace. Unfortunately, it is run without a good planning and over sight. The person who runs the school makes up rules and policies as she see fit. They are definitely anti parent s participation in the school affairs by making it difficulty for parents to voice their concerns.

Posted May 6, 2004

I would not recommend this school. Very unprofessional administration(director). Pleasant Principals were let go by this same person. Teachers are not certified. We pulled our son out and put him in another school(private).

Posted May 3, 2004

Universal Academy is a wonderful school. It offers many things but for elementary. The high school is not well prepared and doesn't have anything at all compared to other high schools. The students are not exactly at pre-a-p statis right now. I know my son has difficulties at school and we put him in more special classes but now he's either the only kid in his class or the class is completely packed.

Posted April 30, 2004

I gave the principal leadership a 2 because we have no principle. But it's not a 1 because Mrs. Blackmon fills the space of authority. I rated my teachers highly because I like my teachers and I learn alot. I rated the extracurricular activities a 2 because they do have after school acitivtes but only a very very small selection of them. Parental involvement was a 1 because I never see parents except on the only feild trip we have had. Saftey and disipline got a 2, disipline isn't what upsets me. Saftey at school has gotten steadily better.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 26, 2004

This school has a revolving door that is turning at mach speed. I have never seen so much turnover at a school. This school does not have computers, so hands on technology is not taught. There are no science labs or equipment. How can you learn Chemistry or Biology without any labs??? This school has 2 drinking fountains for the entire elementary school, and students are not allowed to have a water bottle at their desk. Students are bounced back and forth between Spanish and French as if they were interchangable. Teachers routinely teach subjects in which they are not certified. Most of their secondary teachers who are certified have elementary certification. Many teachers are not certified at all. They claim to be a gifted and talented school, yet this is not reflected in anyway on the students' transcripts. Do your homework before sending your child to this school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 23, 2004

Coming from Asian country we always use to worry about the school system, teaching methods, student & teacher getting in sync. But after one year all of the doubts have gone away. My daughter goes to KG. I am so glad that we selected UA at Flower Mound. Every evening I ask her what she learned in school and her answers amazes me. We like the school discipline and informative sessions between teacher and parents. Thanks a lot Universal Academy.

Posted March 22, 2004

I can't say enough about the quality of education my child has received. I have another child who will be attending UA next year and I am thrilled that he will be offered the same opportunity to excel as my daughter has. We live in Denton - a good 20 minute drive each way - when we live in walking distance to our DISD school. This is a sacrafice we gladly give in to for the quality of education they are receiving. I admit there is some disorganization within the administrative side of the school - which is why I choose to volunteer and try and help iron out the kinks wherever I can. The teachers are available via cell phone from 7:30 to 4:30 to answer any questions I may have - unheard of in a normal school district. Thank you UA for what you do for my kids.

Posted March 14, 2004

I am so thankful that my daughter has the chance to attend Universal Academy. At first, I was a little worried bc it was pretty challenging, but she has caught up and is doing a wonderful job in her Kindergarten class! Both of her teachers are very kind and work hard to help the children understand what they are being taught. She is getting a private school education and is so smart! I am so thankful that Universal is giving her the chance to learn so much in kindergaten. Children have a high capability to learn even more advanced curriculum when given the chance, and I know that my child is being challenged in many ways, growing, and learning a lot. Thank you Universal!!

Posted March 13, 2004

I just cannot say enough nice things about Universal Academy! I am amazed at the staff and parent involvment. It is so great to have your child in a classroom where all the parents care about education just as much as you do! The curriculum is outstanding. I love the philosphy that the kids are sponges and if you expose them to things that they will learn them. Yes, you will need to spend some extra time with your children and on their education but isn't that what helping our kids become successful is all about?

Posted March 13, 2004

My grandson is a kindergarten student at UA. I am amazed at the education he is receiving and all he has accomplished in 6 short months. He is far ahead of his public school peers in reading, spelling, phonics, math, science etc. It has amazed me. The staff at the school are not only friendly, but also very supportive of each child and seem genuinely happy to be there. I have another grandson who is starting kindergarten next year and we can only hope he gets to go to UA. What a fabulous school and such a blessing that our 2 grandsons can attend this fine school. We hope it stays around for the next 13 years. Thank you UA Staff!!!!!!!

Posted March 12, 2004

This is our first year at UA but the school has made a big difference in our girls life. It was once a struggle to get to school and it is now what they want to do everyday. The small classes are wonderful, the teachers are wonderful and the way they teach the kids makes every child excel. The PreK program is outstanding! Our family is very glad we discovered this school.

Posted March 12, 2004

This is our first year at UAFM. We have children in various grade levels. It was our below standard experiences in public school that brought us here. The moral, academic, disciplinary climate at UA exceeds our expectation. Our children have excelled academically in an environment that has given them that opportunity via a challenging curriculum and caring, exceptional teaching staff (in all grade levels). I believe with the anticipated funding that UAFM will receive from private investors/grants, this school will be held in highest esteem as a model for its quality education and for facilitating an environment that produces exceedingly well-behaved, well educated, children (from a multitude of ethnic and religious backgrounds) that exhibit exemplary character. The admnistration goes up and beyond the call of duty to show their care and concern for our children. We couldn't imagine ever returning to anything less. Mrs. & Mrs. Rauch

Posted March 11, 2004

I am the parent of three students at UA, two of whom are in their third year at this school. If you are interested in a disciplined, yet loving environment that emphasizes academic and personal excellence, this is the school for you. Terms that are rhetoric elsewhere have real meaning here. Students truly are taught and challenged at their own level. There is real diversity in the ethnicity of the student population. Not canned, or spun diversity. Everyone gets along, enjoying the differences and the sameness of others, and honestly respecting each other. I am so thankful to have UA we enjoy the best of all worlds in this charter school. Between my three children, we have experienced a total of 9 years in expensive private school programs, and 4 years in the public schools. UA certainly outshines these other alternatives!

Posted March 11, 2004

My daughter went to a private Pre-K and learned numerous aspects of life, but since my daughter has been enrolled in Universal Academy, she has excelled beyond belief. I whole-heartedly recommend UA for any age.

Posted March 11, 2004

Our daughter transferred to UAFM a few weeks into the school year from public school. In the few short weeks she was in the public school she brought home homework one time - she was to identify the letter B and tell me the sound it made. She was not being challenged at all. She is a bright kid who gets bored easily when her mind is not kept busy. LISD was not keeping her busy. For the first time in years we were having problems with her behavior at home and had no clue what to do. Thankfully we got a call from UA saying that a space had opened up. we snatched her up as quickly as possible and moved her to UA the next day. She was nervous and scared but after talking with Ms. Blackmon for a few minutes she was excited and jumped into the classroom activities with both feet. She came home that night with homework and a spelling list. She loves it at UA. We love it at UA.

Posted March 10, 2004

We are extremely happy with Universal. We send all three of our children to the school. We feel that they are way ahead of their peers that attend flower mound public schools.

Posted March 10, 2004

As a parent of eight children I have a greater experience with a variety of school types than most. Each child certainly has unique and individual needs that some schools are better equiped to manage. I will summarize my experience with UA by saying that I am most impressed with: 1)the professionalism and intelligence of the administration, 2)the warmth and love that the teachers show the children, 3)the high code of conduct and moral values that is promoted, and 4)the academic values portrayed by the school uniforms. With such a miniscule source of funds compared to the public school system UA has excelled in providing, in my experience, a very high level of well rounded education. My child loves going to UA and has developed such a love of learning as a result of his experiences there. That's probably the most valuable compliment that a school could get.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 9, 2004

We transferred our daughter to UA last year with 12 weeks left in the school year. We wondered if we were making a wise choice. After three weeks at UA, we knew me made the right choice. Our daughter has grown tremendously since changing schools. We currently have a child in Kindergarten and in Pre-K also. Our child that is in Pre-K is doing more than our daughter ever did in Kindergarten. The teachers are devoted, educated and love their students. Every school has areas to grow in. I see UA problem-solving and trying to make a difference. We chose Universal Academy. It was the best decision we ever made.

Posted March 9, 2004

Our son is in 4th and our daughters are in the Pre-K program. We couldn't be happier. Our son was in the inaugural class that attended the Irving campus. He's an advanced student and UAFM allows him to move ahead at his own pace. When we moved into our new neighborhood with the 'exemplary school' we considered moving him. Then we looked at their curriculum - they were 2 years behind where he was at UAFM! Our daughters are learning things in Pre-K that their brother wasn't introduced to until late kindergarten at the neighborhood elementary school. But the girls are learning these things because they want to - they certainly aren't forced. What's the point in having your kids repeat info. but not understand it? That's never the case at UAFM. Thanks to Diane Harris, Janice Blackmon and Leslie Young!

Posted March 9, 2004

This school has been through more than its fair share of ups and downs and yet it still never ceases to amaze me how much the teachers and administration care about the education of the students. The teachers go way above the call of duty. The kids take pride in their work and their school. You can find fault in anything and some folks are quick to point out the bad instead of focusing on the good, and working together to achieve the goal-the best education possible for our kids. I committed 4 years ago to take advantage of this opportunity for my kids to learn from the best, and I don't intend to change my mind because a few sourpusses say the glass is half empty. I say it's half full! Soar Eagles Soar!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

87 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

87 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

37 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

37 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

14 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

10 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

10 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

Black or African American100%

U.S. History

World Geography

World History

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 88% 4%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Limited English proficient (LEP) 12%N/A17%
Source: TX Education Agency, 2013-2014

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 2-year college 8% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 92% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation UT Austin
UT Arlington
Brigham Young
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 19%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Japanese
Spanish
Tagalog
Urdu
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • State Distinctions 6 Stars (2014)
  • State Distinctions 3 Stars (2013)
  • Exemplary (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab
  • Robotics club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Diane Moshier
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (972) 393-5657

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
  • Direct instruction
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
  • Individually guided instruction
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Computer animation
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

6 out of 10students were accepted for the 2014-2015 school year.

Students accepted for the 2014-2015 school year
1175
Applications received for the 2014-2015 school year
1998

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
UT Austin
UT Arlington
Brigham Young
College preparation / awareness offered
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
SAT/ACT prep classes