Posted October 30, 2014
Universal Academy requires teachers to be more knowledgeable then other districts I ve worked for unfortunately everyone hired does not meet the rigorous standards that UA demands. Our teachers team teach, meaning even though my major was education, my masters is in mathematics and I am given an opportunity to teach an elementary grade level math, while my counterpart has a strong english language background and teaches english. Our other two teachers are strong in social studies and science this teaching method is setup so students don't have different teachers daily. At UA you have a team of 4 teachers daily based on the strongest subject daily. Due too exceptional high standards and expectations of UA teachers, along with a rigorous three week training, all the teachers in training with me may not meet UA expectations. Therefore teachers may leave or be asked to leave because UA stands on it principles of educating ALL STUDENTS. Those teachers are not professionals and teaching is not for them. If you are a true teaching professional you will love working here, if you are not, because we put STUDENTS FIRST you could be asked to leave.

Posted October 26, 2014
I agree it sounds good ACES for UA students But imagine this your pay 25$ per semister and sign your kids as per the class they want and then the school switches them around on a weekly rotation . In short u pay for per month and then do not get what you sign up for ! That's the irony. Not to be disrespectful to anyone but it's a shame and a farce .

Posted October 23, 2014
UA Coppell has an ACE's program, that allows students to receive a well rounded educational experience. It allows students to participate in subjects that interest them. This program is in addition to the rigorous academic program offered at the school.

Posted October 17, 2014
My child gave the G/T test in June and we are still waiting for the results.Now they have different teachers to teach a subject and a group of 4 classes follow the same pattern.School says that the students of all these 4 classes are at same level.I am shocked since my child is much advanced than the kids in other 3 classes.I am not under estimating any kid and I do believe each kid has his own pace to learn but then why do they claim they have advanced classes for bright kids.My child was in a advance class last year too.If they do not depend on the test results for grouping kids why do they take test at the first place?I loved the school last year but cannot say the same this year.If the same continues I might pull my kid out before the end of the year.

Posted October 17, 2014
Teachers and students move from one class to another.No organized pattern for the students in the class.It's a mess particularly with the change in school's principal.The school lacks proper communication with parents.School is downgrading for sure.

Posted October 16, 2014
COMING FROM A TEACHER: I would NEVER send my child here. Unsatisfactory "gym" and "cafeteria," there is no kitchen you must send your child with lunch or have it delivered. Staff members loose children or put them on the wrong bus, and switch the teachers and students around regularly, one day they may have this teacher and take this class and the next day is totally different. Your first grader could end up in a class with fifth graders. Emotionally challenging for the students. School is always is a state of disarray and confusion.

Posted October 03, 2014
The administration hires the majority of its teachers from alternative teaching certification programs, so most of the teachers at UA Coppell have absolutely no classroom experience; and the administration places many expectations upon teachers that cannot realistically be met with the poor training that new teachers receive (teacher turnover rate over the past several years has been about 50%). At teacher training, the teachers were instructed to lie to parents about this being their first year teaching. The school offers a "Gifted and Talented" program called ACES in which P.E. teachers, fine arts teachers are required to teach subjects to children in which they have no certified expertise. Last year, the administration had teaching aides (who are not certified teachers) teaching kindergarteners for as long as four months. Today, the school moved several Coppell teachers to UA Irving (and for elementary children, it is traumatic to suddenly lose a teacher). Teachers were not supposed to tell their students that they are leaving. Also, I see that the "parents" who are posting glowing reviews of UA use a lot of terms that the administrators have used to market the school.

Posted September 05, 2014
Universal is unlike any other school in the area!!! Accelerated learning, Gifted and Talented program, Golf, Young Inventors programs and much more. This school received the States highest academic award in both 2012-2013 and 2013-2014. The school has expanded it's facility and it's student base. Universal Academy has a proven record of academic success and truly focuses on the belief that "All Children are Gifted and Talented". As a parent I know my child is being prepared to achieve Global educational success.

Posted May 01, 2014
MY son will be in 5th grade fall 2014 and wanted to be on the swim team which is sad because I had to tell him he can not be a part of it since there is no swimming pool at this campus so the pack kids on a bus everyday for swim practice with no assigned seats so my 10 yr soon could be sitting next to a 15 or 16 yr old 9th grader. There is a huge difference between a 10 yr old boy and a 16 yr old boy or girl for that matter. This is not set up age appropriate and these facts were not given to me until I asked. Patents ask the questions because this Academy does not volunteer information.

Posted April 30, 2014
This school is more like a daycare then a school. Education is very important to our family, so this was just not a good fit for our family. Also, not all the kids get to go on field trips, it's like a lottery so if your child gets lucky enough to get picked they are so excited but if they don't get picked they are devastated!

Universal Academy - Flower Mound
1001 E Sandy Lake Rd, Irving, TX  75062
Last modified Universal Academy - Flower Mound is a Charter school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Universal Academy - Flower Mound Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 114 reviews. Top