Winfree Academy Charter School (Ri

Charter | 9-12 | 273 students

We are best known for dropout recovery program.

Living in Irving

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $320,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,050.

Posted September 1, 2012

I have been teaching math since 2001, and I have taught math from grades 4th-12th. I have taught at 3 other schools besides Winfree. This is my 5th year at Winfree, and I can say this past opening week has been the best. The students now have new Toshiba Satellite Laptops in the each 40 person classroom. They have an assigned laptop to use throughout the day. We also are implementing our Award Winning Courage Program on this campus. We are offering a night school program from 5-9:10 pm for our older students who are working or have family requirements during the day, but still want to get their high school diploma. Each year we seem to get more and more students from Richland College who want to come to our campus to either complete their high school credits or to get their high school diploma while working on their Associates Degree. I understand every person has their own personal opinion or comment, but please understand that the opinion is just that. Please come to our campus to get an info packet, attend one of our Parent University Information Sessions. If you are a local business and would like to team up with some School of Business Prep Students, please see me.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 1, 2012

Winfree Academy has been one of the biggest blessings of my school life. The ability to do what you need at the pace you can handle, has been amazing. In my two years here I have been able to not only finish school, but also grow as a person. The teachers here are a God-send , honestly. They have been a critical part of my success. I will always think back on my time here with a smile on my face. I couldnt have finished without Winfree Academy.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 28, 2012

Being a former student I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone homeschooling would of been more efficient. The classes are over sized with a teacher to student ratio of 50:1. Most of the classes are online but there are about 16 computers in a classroom of 35-50. It is a self-paced program so most students sleep or do nothing. The classroom is so loud its hard to think because they allow you to talk about whatever you want and even some teachers will join the gossip or vent about there personal life to students. Another major problem is the teachers for the most part are a joke. When I attended there were two respectable intelligent teachers that were a good role model(science and history). I often found myself completing all the quarters (half semesters) and waiting a week to get a grade back meanwhile doing nothing but attending. There is no honors or AP classes so don't expect to be challenged as a matter of fact the curriculum has to be dumbed down when I repeated some courses from public school. The counselors stress to do the recommended plan but with the current system in place most students switch to minimum plan just hurting themself when they attend college.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 27, 2011

This school is what your child makes of it, they are not there to make friends they are there to learn! So if your child can not work at his/hers own pace with little help, they will not get far here!!! I had 1 daughter and 3 sons that went here! & its a ok place! not great BUT OK!!! They have kids who do drugs there, so what.... they have them at all schools!!!! its up to your child & what they choose to do!! I think its a good place if your child works hard, and gets the packets done, the faster they do it, they faster they are out of there!!!! GOOD LUCK!!! parent involvement ....only if they get in trouble(lol) other than that you need to just pop up at school...like I did and spy!!! (lol)

Posted October 3, 2009

This school has saved the education of my son and my friends sons. My son has health problems and he was losing a lot of time and PISD was threatening to prosecute him and this school has allowed him to move at his own pace, and when he is sick they do not bother us. My friends sons has drug problems and they are working with both, one doing exceptionally well and the other well we will see.

Posted September 24, 2007

This school has gone though many changes and all for the better,the dedicated teachers are always there to help and support.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted September 17, 2007

Winfree is different, students work a self-paced 4 hour day in the same classroom all day. The school day is very focused on academic learning and gives students the opportunity to accelerate their performance to suit themselves. Staff are truly motivated to help each student on a one on one basis. Students can learn in privacy, without being under the scrutiny of their peers. So many parents have congratulated and thanked the school for not only saving their childs education but in many cases their lives and futures. The school enrollment is kept deliberately small so that staff can know each student and their needs.The mission statement of the school really says it all 'To create a supportive, safe environment that motivates, educates and trains students so that they can graduate from high school prepared with the abilities needed for higher education, employment,and life.
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted March 27, 2007

My son attended Winfree in 2006 to make up 1/2 credit. Coming from Plano ISD this was far less of an educational curriculum than expected. My son did graduate and immediately upon completion from Winfree he left and went to the military. The issue I have is we never received his diploma which I feel, if he couldn't pick it up or was not part of the little graduation ceremony, then his diploma should have been sent to our home which it never was. The school is a joke, you really get no assistance and thats quite sad. My family relocated here from another state for the purpose of attending Texas schools because of the academic level in which is taught but Winfree is a true disappointment. Take pride in any student that comes to your school and represent for all schools in spite of the size. Do better Please.

Posted March 27, 2007

Caring environment. This school provides lots of support services for studuents and families.

Posted January 23, 2007

Winfree is a life saver. Without this school my student would not have graduated. She is now in college and very successful because of the help we received at Winfree!

Posted November 27, 2006

Winfree Richardson is awful.Parent involvement is limited.Trying to visit w/some of the teachers is impossible. Do not send your child to this school as I've learned it's clearly about money. The longer they keep the students there working on subjects they've already passed but can't go on until they've completed the box the more funding they receive.

Posted September 28, 2006

Winfree does not provide the services it promises for the students. They do not grade papers in a timely manner so that students can progress to the next level. They have not provided the assistance to pass the TAKS test that they promised. The special education teachers do not provide any services. They finally contacted my son about his 504 plan at the end of the school year.

Posted August 3, 2006

My child has been at Winfree for 3 semesters. The principal works hard to build relationships with the students - he is out in the parking lot greeting students and parents (very friendly and concerned about the students. The office staff, guidance counselors go the extra mile to help these kids (they know each student and are concerned). I would strongly encourage improvement here: - large shortage of textbooks and copier paper. - Computers and programs sometime take weeks (at school start) to work. - No report cards mailed home, progress reports. accurate grade reporting (credits). - Many teachers unaware what my child was working on. (very disappointed with Special Ed.) The best way to contact teachers was to come to school, then they paid attention. My child didn't fare any better academically here than at Plano schools. This is self-paced program (self-motivation required!) More School Funding Needed-Shame on Texas!

Posted April 20, 2006

Worst educational experience by far. Winfree Academy is rather force their students to change school than admit their mistakes. Quality of academic programs - poor Availability of extracurricular activities - none

Posted December 22, 2005

This is one of the worst schools my child has ever attended,that's the reason i took my child out.There is no supervision and it seems all the students do what they want. They talk to teachers very rudely,walk out of class whenever they want and use so so much profanity.I hate how things are 'ran' at this school. I would advise parents to check around for other schools don't choose this one at the richardson campus.Those kids and grown kids are bad!the teachers aren't too bright either.

Posted October 28, 2005

So far the school has been a blessing for our daughter. Even though there have been a few incidents between other students with that worried us our daughter has had fewer confrontations than she did at Armstrong Middle School. No school is going to be perfect, but Winfree has offered our daughter a good option and the teachers (especially math) have been great!

Posted September 8, 2005

This school is great, it made my sun so proud when he got through school with ease .. Gosh its relieves me too know I found a great school for him.

Posted July 30, 2005

When I got pregnant at 16, I thought I had to drop out. The teachers here gave me the resources and support to finish. Not only did I finish (second in my class!!), I am now a Junior in college with a 4.0 in TWU's Nursing Program. Without Winfree, I would have been another statistic.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 20, 2005

This school is horrible. We were told it was a wonderful, safe school where students work at there own pace. They lock the bathrooms to prevent drug use, sex and destruction. The police patrol the outside in cars, on foot and on bicyles so the kids do not destroy neighboring buildings and property. Everything I have visted the kids are screaming, yelling, cussing and not working. My child tells me daily of arrests, fights, kids telling teachers to go F themselves. The school refuses to take any responsibility and calls to the principle only got a promise of a return call, but no call. We found if we move my son before the end of the year he gets not credit because of the pace system.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

44 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

54 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

63 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

58 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

57 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

55 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students82%

Hispanic84%
White88%
Economically disadvantaged88%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "AEA: Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "AEA: Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "AEA: Academically Acceptable".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

6 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

7 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

8 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

8 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

6 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

5 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Limited English proficient (LEP) 8%N/A17%
Source: TX Education Agency, 2013-2014

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Richardson ISD
Plano ISD
Dallas ISD
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 7%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Arts & music

• Community college courses
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses

• RICK PANTER
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Fax number

• School-sponsored trips to college campuses
  • Computer

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code