A G Elder Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 589 students

Sweep tile

Posted October 16, 2013

This administration isn't well equipped to handle students with special needs. They are too strict and the students suffer immensely because of this. My child attended this school for several years and it really put them off of school and learning. They were constantly punished for things out of their control, for things they needed help with. The administration never listened to our needs. They were rude and insensitive. We moved into another district and the difference has been night and day. My child is happy and their grades have improved greatly. I only wish we could've moved sooner, for the sake of my child.

Posted October 15, 2013

This is the 3rd year my kids have been going to school here and I love everything about it. The teachers are all wonderful, everyone of them know all the kids and I honestly feel they treat them as one of their own. And the administrative staff couldn't be better! Reading the few negative comments I was shocked, but I then realized it was from the prior principal/administration. I'm am very happy with the education and treatment my kids are receiving at Elder Elem.

Posted February 7, 2011

I was shocked to read the awfull tings posted on here about Elder....but when I realized it was in '07 that they were submitted I understood. My children have been going to this awesome school since '08-'09 school year and LOVE IT!!!! I have never seen my children so excited about their school until they came to Elder. The teachers are magnificent and the environment overall is awesome. They have learned a lot and I can see them getting better and better in every subject. I'm thankful we moved here and will not move my chilren out of this school. Thank you Elder staff for all your hard work and dedication to our children!!!

Posted August 29, 2007

We have been at this school for many years now, and finally the changes have been made that will make this a much better place for our kids! The two administration problems that were holding it back are gone now. We can hold our district superintendent accountable for this. Thank you so much Mr. Dane, you did a great deed! It is a new dawn for elder elementary school, and we can't wait to see it soar! The Babbitt family

Posted July 9, 2007

I could not be happier with the 2006-2007 school year. The overall staff at this school is amazing. My son's first grade teacher should have won an award. She went above what is in her job describtion. She cares about every child, spends time with every child, and works with every child that enters her classroom. He was also involved in music, art, running club, copmuter lab, and really excelled in his reading. I could not be happier with the new reorganziation of the Parent Group to Kids First. They made me feel very welcome, and answered every question I had this year. Thank you to all of the Kids First Board Members! We had yet another very happy and successful year at this school and can't wait to have both my children attend next year!

Posted June 29, 2007

I completely agree with the negative comments about A.G. Elder Elementary. I am a former educator from Elder; the key word being former! It was a very negative environment overall. If you have a GT student (or special ed), look to other districts. One will not find what they are looking for at Elder!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 27, 2007

Until JISD appoints new administration to this school, Elder will continue to be an inadequate place for our children to attend. One can bring up the school's test scores, but should the TAKS test be the indicator of our children receiving a great education? A great education is more than test scores. Shouldn't our students be exposed to more than just learning how to pass the test? There is very little that addresses the individual student at Elder, and even less that addresses advanced students' needs. Group mentality is all that this school addresses, and it is devoid of individualism. Any of our other elementary schools are better than Elder ... far FAR less complaints, and MUCH happier students! A VERY Unhappy Parent at Elder

Posted December 5, 2006

I have found Elder Elementary to be a safe positive place for my kids. The teachers are great. They work with me to make sure my kids educational needs are met. I am kept informed of things with a weekly newsletter. They also have a website. Elder acknowledges my kids academic success as well as their good character. They promote positive character building through character training and it is reinforced with what they call a brand. It is a sticker, and my kids where it proudly. They have access to classes such as music, art, science lab, computer lab, P.E., math lab and library on a weekly basic. My kids have boosted their confidence in reading through the schools A.R. program. The school also teaches my kids about goal setting. My kids have experienced the benefit of reaching their goals at Elder.

Posted November 15, 2006

I was socked to read these negative comments about this excellent school. My son attended this elementary when we lived in Joshua. I also worked at this school which has excellent leadership. Ms. Crow always puts children first. She is a motivator, positive leader, and a focused champion of children. Joshua is blessed to have a quality administrator like Karen Crow. Elder Elementary is a school that has positively formed a foundation for numerous children. One can only hope that someday there will be more excellent schools like this one. When I taught at this school there was an excellent PTO who was actively involved and supported by the leadership. I do not know what the change has been, but I do know Elder is comprised of a high level of quality educators.

Posted November 9, 2006

Kids First! Great teachers and great leadership. Their test scores speak for themselves. The school principal makes every child and parent feel important and valuable.

Posted October 8, 2006

A.G. Elder Elementary School is the worst school I have ever been involved with. Although there are many great teachers at Elder, the problems lie with the administration...and they are huge problems!

Posted September 19, 2006

My son, Kevin, just started Kindergarden at Elder this year. He loves it. The teachers are wonderful and very nice to the children and Miss Crow, the principal, is one of the best principal's I have ever know. She takes such a special interest in the kids and she is such a loving and wonderful person. My son thinks the world of her. She is Always were the kids can com talk to her and interact with her, which I think is so very important. The Kindergarden program is very good also. It is interactive and lets the parents get involved in their child's education. I am very happy to be sending my 1st born son there and will be wonderfully happy to send my 2nd son there in 3 years.

Posted May 24, 2006

A.G. Elder has a very political atmosphere. Administration neither supports the PTO, nor wants parental involvement in general. Some of the teachers are wonderful though! Sadly, they don't have a functional GT program. There is plenty for students who are behind though (tutoring, etc...), anything to make that rating! Like most public schools, they strictly teach the test (TAKS) from 3rd on up. There is a music program for all grades, choir for 3rd grade up, and band for 6th only. There is no art program at all, which is very disappointing. If I had it to do over again, I would NOT choose Joshua ISD for my child. Other elementary schools here may be better (there are 5), but A.G. Elder Elementary just doesn't make the grade!

Posted August 9, 2005

My child went to school at Elder from K-4 and had good times, except for 2nd grade. My son is the youngest of 4 and that year was the worse. If you have any problems Ms. Crow is a great mediator and will be there for you.

Posted July 31, 2005

A.G.Elder is a wonderful school. My three children have learned alot and the teachers are great .They take time with the child and treat each child special.My children and I love our school.

Posted November 19, 2004

My son attends this school and loves it!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

72 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

72 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

58 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

58 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

66 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

65 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

63 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

All Students94%

White91%
Economically disadvantaged91%
Proficient in English93%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students82%

Proficient in English89%
Non-migrant88%
Non-Gifted87%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian 0% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

• Mr Lance Cathey
Fax number
  • (817) 641-2951

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now