Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I couln't agree more with some of the reviews from 3 years ago, things hasn't changed... Not friendly for outsiders, unexperienced teachers and front desk can be rude sometimes... Not very happy with this school :(

Develops character: Agree

Generally speaking, I think this school is as good as any other. The only thing I see for time to time is the typical "they are more concerned about their test scores then their kids" syndrome. They have great scores and they want to keep it that way. I can attest that the level of knowledge they expect from these kids is WAY more than a lot of other schools/districts....and certainly WAY, WAY more than what was expected of me when I was in elementary school...25 years ago I know but still...math is math. Educationally, my biggest complaint is that they don't teach phonics. Ironically, if you bring it up with a teacher they will say they do teach phonics but they don't....if they did your children would't have 10 memory words every week. Also they are starting in on the common core like math and half the time I don't even know what his worksheets are asking for...in 2nd grade math. It's a little ridiculous.

I would agree that Bonnie Holland is a great school - and thanks to it being located in a very affluential part of Katy, the school always has everything it needs and top of the line technology etc. The reason it ranks so high in test scores, in my opinion, is because of it's diversity. This area of Katy draws lots of international families - many of them move into the Holland school zone JUST for this school. These kids tend to test extremely well across the board and it helps the overall averages at this school. Now that's not to say that American students aren't also doing well, but if you were comparing apples to apples - Holland to another elementary school in another comparable part of Katy with lesser scores, I guarantee the difference would be found in the demographics. That said, my only real complaint about this school is that they purposely mix the kids up every year so that they are rarely in a class with another student they know. My son is in 2nd grade and has yet to develop any long lasting friendships because he has different kids in his class every year...and again, there is lots of diversity at this school which can also be a challenge when making friends. Hard to become life long buddies when you don't share a common language.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Both of my children attend Bonnie Holland. The teachers at this school are very experienced and loving. You can tell they love their job and they put their heart and soul into it. Parent communication is great and I always know what is going on. The school is "hard" because Katy ISD is an excellent district and Bonnie Holland is full of very bright and very hardworking students. I like that the students are challenged and that the teachers want them to succeed.

We absolutely love this school! The teachers and staff are friendly and helpful. My son was sick for several weeks before he was diagnosed with a form of arthritis and the teachers and staff were a huge help and very supportive. My kids have done nothing but excel! I do agree with one poster that the PTA is constantly asking for money, it does get a bit excessive, but I chalk it up to it just begin a part of the area we live in.

This school is excellent! We have moved to Katy from San Ramon CA which is known for quality schools in the Bay Area. The difference between Holland and the school that my daughters used to go is much. If Holland is a 5 start, the prev school must be a two or 2.5 star! We have moved to the US in 2012 and English is not spoken at our home. My both daghters (one 3rd grade. the other K) cought up with the language so well through the EOSL program. They have also developed a lot in math and science. They did an enormous development last year and it is going on this year. We have not experienced any racism (delibarately or not) from the school crew, nor from the children. They are all supportive and kind. Both my kids attended summer school and were counting down to go back to school this fall again!!! My younger daughter used to go to Pre-K last year from 8 to 10:45 and she has spent the rest of the day up to 5:30pm in Montesorry day care. I can tell she got more skills during the short time in the school rather than Montesorry. My kids love their last year teacher and still go and visit them time to time. It is a good school with beautiful people working there. Thank you!

We moved to Katy for the schools. We have found a gem in Bonnie Holland. There is an infectious spirit and energy throughout the halls. The staff is highly experienced and dedicated to their students and professional growth. Most staff members are veterans with many years of teaching experience. As previous posters may not know, the district sets the guidelines for passing and failure. The principals and teachers do not. They are trained professionals who do their best to meet the needs of all of their students. I have two children who attend the school. They absolutely love their teachers and principals. We have had a great experience throughout their K-5 education. As a parent, I know that my children are in the best possible hands at Bonnie Holland.

Moved here from out of state where my daughter was an A/B student, came here and her teachers wanted to fail her. The math program is far behind other states but reading is at grade level. The school is not friendly to outsiders, if your kid did not attend Kinder there you are not welcomed in the club. The school is very nice looking, clean, and fairly new. The PTA is constantly asking for $$ and the programs put on by them such as the breakfast with Santa and mediocre. Glad to say we are now is a different school and are very pleased.

Not a great school. It is harassing parents because they want to keep up their exemplary rating. Instead of helping students it is harassing students. I can not force first grader to excel beyond his limits. I hate this school like anyting

BHE is a stellar school with a disciplined, caring staff. Our daughter is currently a 4th grader and has attended BHE for the duration of her scholastic career. Never underestimate the positive spirit youth brings to the teaching profession! An "A" student in another district WILL have to go through a time of transition in order to continue on the same path. Our older children began in KISD though we relocated to Orange County, CA with my husbands employer for a few years. The parents there were upset because midway through the year their students were being given a number grade for courses instead of a check, plus, or minus. GIVE ME A BREAK! Ultimately being a "B" student in a structured environment that is EXEMPLARY far surpasses being an "A" student in a subpar environment. As parents we must ALL realize that educating our children ultimately is OUR responsibility. There is always room for improvement in any classroom though BHE is mostly a well oiled machine with dedicated parents. Additionally, before anyone COMPLAINS they may want to revisit their own educational inequities inclusive of proper GRAMMAR as well as SENTENCE STRUCTURE!

Last modified Bonnie Holland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.