Heritage Elementary School

Public | K-4 | 638 students

Posted August 5, 2013

Heritage is a very good school. My daughter had an awesome year last year and we are looking forward to another great year.

Posted April 3, 2013

We have had nothing but good experiences with the school. Our child's teacher is wonderful and communicates with us regularly via email. She has gone above and beyond to help our child succeed academically and socially. We are so grateful for her. We also really appreciate the guidance counselor for all that he does to help students. He has been a wonderful role model for our child. Any complaints about the leadership at the school are likely about one person whose communication style could use some improvement. She comes across as hesitant and confrontational, but when asked to explain more she is usually cooperative and more patient. Teachers are staff are still learning, too, and we need to support them in that process just as we support our children.

Posted March 7, 2013

I had all 3 of my kids go thru Heritage. My oldest one is in high school now and is top of his class. The other two are on their way to be academically successful as well. Demographics have changed a lot for this school over the years. The district probably could invest a little more on the school. There has been tremendous growth in the area. Overall teachers and specially administration do a good job considering the lack of resources. We were lucky enough to have some great teachers, many of them who are still there. Yes there are some bad apples that try to take advantage of the system, for the most part it s all good people at the school. I guess that is true of every school/work place. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted March 3, 2013

The teachers at HES are fabulous! But the principals are HORRIBLE. In every meeting I've had with them, they've been disrespectful and rude to and about the teacher--I couldn't believe it! They never smile and act like this is just another meeting for them and I don't think they even care about the kids...just something else they have to do. They act like they don't even like kids too and are not friendly. I love my child's teacher and know she is doing the best for him. I just wish the principals would at least act like they cared and wanted to help my child.

Posted December 8, 2012

We've had a great experience with HES! I have 2 kids there and LOVE the teachers they have and have had. I even have positive interactions with teachers they do not have. Both my husband and I have earned our college degrees and value the type of education our children receive and we have not been diappointed with HES. All of my childrens' teachers have done an excellent job at keeping us informed and following up on any questions/concerns we have ever had. I do feel that the principal could be more of a prescence in the school. My interactions with her are somewhat superficial. But I've never had any reason to meet with her personally as there have never been any pressing issues or concerns. The PTA has had issues in the past. I do believe your volunteer experience there is what you make of it. Just like any other place,You can choose to not get involved in the drama and the gossip. I will say that this year things have calmed down quite a bit with the prescence of a male PTA president. Overall, I've been happy with HES as well as my children and if given the choice, i wouldn't chose another elementary school.

Posted November 19, 2012

Heritage is a great school. This is my daughter's first year and I have no complaints. My child is learning in a wonderful environment. The school keeps you informed in various ways: emails, call outs, written notes

Posted August 13, 2012

From the principal to about 70 percent of the staff they are not engaged with the quality of education or students. Thank goodness we've moved, now my child will be going to a better school. HES is considered a C+ school

Posted October 7, 2011

What an AWESOME school!!! My child has attended HES for the past 2yrs and has had an amazing experience. The teachers at HES are wonderful and truly love their profession. HES PTA is wonderful as well. These men & women donate so much of THEIR free time setting up school events that bring the staff and parents closer together and helps create a perfect team for the students. I won't want my child anywhere else!!!!

Posted September 18, 2011

This would be a great school if it had a different principal. She never looks anyone in the eye and seems to only care about how the school looks and not so much about individual students. Most of the teachers are caring. The PTA was great the last few years, but this year they are not very welcoming or helpful. They were rather rude when I asked about getting a shirt for my daughter. So glad it is our last year there.

Posted July 5, 2011

All of the staff work very hard to ensure the students are given opportunities to succeed at different topics and skills. The school provides a good balance of physical education, art and music classes for every grade level. They have a good Gifted and Talented program. The parents and community get involved during several events throughout the year, including an annual, week-long 4th grade class trip to a nature center where the kids can get some real-world learning. The school could improve a little on more timely communication and student release organization.

Posted May 12, 2010

Overall, this is a good school. My child has learned a lot while there, and really enjoys going to school. I am comfortable with their safety and discipline policies, there are a lot of extracurricular activities (thanks to the PTA). That being said, there are a number of teachers that do not even speak to parents (won't even make eye contact!), and do not greet the children in the mornings. These teachers act as if they do not want to be there, and that this is merely a job to them. If you do not love children, you are in the wrong profession! I feel that relationships between the teacher and parents is very important, as well as a loving caring touch when dealing with young children. The parents feel alienated, and the children are treated like cattle. My Mom and Mother-in-Law commented on the way the teachers ignored them, also.

Posted March 7, 2010

Heritage lacks leadership and trust between administration, parents, and teachers. Although my child is happy there many parents are not happy with the communication. The PTA has been wonderful this which is a change to years in the past. There is not much parent involvement and that is partly due to the principal not being welcome to the help of volunteers. The only thing the school really has is good teachers and rich traditions for our children. It could be so much better with the right leadership.

Posted December 17, 2009

Heritage is an excellent school my little one is in kindergarten and he loves his teacher he loves going to school too. He is learning a lot and everybody is so kind. I'm so happy to have my kid in this school, specially because is my first time school expirience, I really appreciate everybody for a great job!!!!

Posted April 1, 2009

Heritage is a wonderful school. Most of the teachers love this school and love my children even more. When I walk into the school I feel warm and welcome. While it may be true that some teachers act as if they do not want to be there - that is not the case for the majority. They go above and beyond the call of duty to make sure my children are loved, feels secure and gets the best education possible. What my children are learning is AMAZING. Mrs. Johnson has made some wonderful improvements to the physical environment. You could not ask for a better place to send your children!

Posted March 25, 2009

I have 2 children that attend this school & even with the principal change and the rapid growth, I believe this school lacks cohesion. There are some great teachers here, however, communication between teacher's & administration is absent. Some teachers look like they don't want to be there. Some will not greet you. Some just look mad & unwelcoming. Still waiting for the principal & asst. principal to get it together.

Posted June 24, 2008

This school is pretty good, but is going through many changes due to a rapidly growing district and changes in the school's administration. It seems more organized, but communication is still lacking from it's prinicipal. She just doesn't seem all that friendly or communicative.

Posted October 25, 2007

My child really enjoys his teacher, however as a whole the school needs more structure and better communication.

Posted September 5, 2007

This school has the best teachers and principal, they are very thoughtful and they have high expectations for our children.

Posted February 8, 2007

The art program and librarian are amazing!

Posted December 28, 2006

Heritage is a warm friendly school. The PTA is great and very helpful. My children are so comfortable there.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

98 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

100 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

149 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

146 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

146 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students88%

Limited English proficient (LEP)94%
Proficient in English93%
Non-migrant94%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students83%

Non-migrant74%
Gifted/talented81%
Non-Gifted72%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian or Pacific Islander 10% 4%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4001 Thompson Road