No rating

Kemp Primary School

Public | PK-2 | 416 students

Posted January 18, 2014

Every year now, for many years, I have watched Kemp schools decline in the education they offer, and especially the special education programs.

Posted May 13, 2013

The leadership @the Primary is unprofessional,& inconsistent. Changes aren't welcome. PTO has been run by the same group for a couple of years. Parents weren't informed when positions were being voted on,&the same group voted themselves in. Attendance policies r inconsistent. Even if u have notes from the doctor you'll have to go in front of a committee if ur child has too many absences. My child is ahead, &when I requested more work,I was told "It wouldn't be fair to other kids for my child to get ahead &she would be bored next year if she got ahead."If ur child has any special needs this is not the district for u. There's no accountability,&the children r not receiving the adequate help. The district cut the dyslexia program &the Speech Therapist is part time.There is a non certified assistant in the program that helps, but there's no accountability. If u have no choice & ur child has to attend Kemp,stay on top of ur child's education.You're ur child's best advocate. Education is their future, & it's imperative that they get the best. Given the choice,I know many parents who would definitely move their child into a better district. And many are next year.

Posted July 9, 2012

There are some great teachers here but they are held back by the leadership. The principal is horrible. He has no idea what creates a good school. In the morning, just try to get past the cafeteria with your child. It isn't going to happen. You are not even allowed out of your car after school to pick them up. The school "opens" at 7:20 but the drop off doors are locked until monitors come out around 7:30- 7:35. The communication is HORRIFIC. There is little parental interaction with teachers because of all the rules. A simple parent teacher meeting has to include the principal. They don't even offer standard parent/teacher conference days. Last year they forget several times to send notices home for early release days. They act like a small community where every one should already be in "the know" so why bother to inform parents. The city's water & power randomly goes out. So there are times the kids are in school with no running water or electricity. The worst, is the special education program if your child is special needs RUN. Your child is going to pay everyday by never improving. There are a few good teachers here but everything fails because of their incompetent leadership.

Posted September 21, 2010

I agree with you 100%!! We moved here in january and you would think that the school would welcome parent interaction with open arms!! My child and I both are still having a hard time trying to fit in around here. The school my child went to was VERY kid friendly and the that school put the kids and what was best for the kids first. It was more geared towards children.

Posted May 4, 2009

I enrolled my child in Kemp Primary this year and I love it! I know my child is safe and happy when she's at school. The principal is very visible and always puts the students first. Mrs. Lowe has started a parent book study this year to help include parents and share information about how important it is for parents to ready with their children. I'm sad Mrs. Lowe is leaving.

Posted September 27, 2007

My daughter is also in Kindergarten, she has been learning so much. Her teacher is Ms. Wiley, I believe she is a wonderful teacher. But I do not like the way I am not allowed in my child's classroom. They preach for us to be so involved and then we can't even go in the school?

Posted September 6, 2007

My child is in K. Unfortunately the new policies enacted this year restrict parent face time with teachers, do not allow us to go to class w/the child in the morning, and do not allow us out of our cars in the afternoon. All communication is made my appt. only so parents don't 'disrupt' learning time. I would be more inclined to rate this school higer if we parents were allowed the simple courtesy of being treated like we also have the best interest of our children in mind instead of being treated like outsiders who are keeping the math scores low on the TAKS, all while the school is preaching for us to get involved. How when we don't seem wanted inside the school? Quite a contradiction between words and action in my opinion.

Posted July 5, 2007

I think this school is a wonderful place to be.

Posted December 11, 2006

There are some excellent teachers at the primary. Get involved and get to know the teachers! This campus is great about allowing parents to request a teacher... take advantage of that! There is a very strong emphasis on reading.

Posted February 16, 2005

I think my daughter has learned alot this year, she's only in kind. but she already knows alot. Her teacher (Ms. Langford) is a great teacher! She knows how to handle the kids and every time I see her, she is really involved with her students. Parent involvement is o.k. but I think I could be a little better. As with any school.

Posted May 26, 2004

It's a great school with great teachers, the teachers here are caring and there involvement in the learning of the children are there #1 goal. The parent involvement is great but, always can be better.

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Source: Texas Education Agency

• MATT STEVENSON
Fax number
  • (903) 498-2136

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now