Willow Springs Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 969 students

Posted yesterday

My son loves being at this school and I can see how fast he is learning and how he loves to go to school everyday!

Posted October 3, 2014

Willow Springs is an awesome school! My kids have excelled there. My son is now in all Pre-AP classes in middle school! My daughter is reading and learning at a high level! The staff and teachers are always friendly and helpful! It deserves a much higher rating than a 2 out of 10! It is at least a 6 or 7 out of 10 bar none!

Posted June 27, 2014

BEST PLACE I'VE EVER WORKED! Awesome admin and staff! Things are turning around at WSES. A difference is being made by a great staff who cares :))
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 22, 2014

This school has been the biggest disappointment since moving here. In my child's case they have a great teacher. However, she is faced with too many students that do not know how to behave, so most of her time is wasted trying to get them to behave which takes away from the students who are really trying to learn. Also, students are not allowed to talk during lunch at this school because the teachers cannot control the noise level. Recess is short and the days are long. On top of all of this there is a lot of bullying going on. It makes for a long, grueling day for children. I hope they are able to correct these issues. My children will not be returning next year.

Posted February 24, 2014

This is my child's second year attending here. I have been incredibly pleased! My child's teacher, Ms. Kunz, has been fantastic! She keeps us updated on everything! The principal has been so kind. We haven't had a single negative experience in dealing with any of the staff. Our child is excited to go to school each and every day. We really couldn't ask for a better school. It is incredibly disappointing to see some of the ratings. Please do not go off of the negative ratings though. Sadly, so many people do not have feedback until it is something negative. We really enjoy the area we are in. We're a short distance from the school. They do a phenomenal job at keeping traffic flowing even being near a very busy neighborhood. The neighborhoods surrounding the school have been quiet since we've lived here, and the kids friendly. The staff makes it a point to greet each and every student and parent each morning.

Posted February 23, 2014

Willow Springs has had trouble in the past. But, that was in the PAST! It is under new leadership and has improved immensely. Willow Springs MET the standards for last year's STAAR test and will continue to do so! Willow Springs offers excellent opportunities for children to learn. It has opportunities for parent to become engaged in their child's education through volunteer opportunities, PTO, and a parent liaison. I am the parent of a 1st grader who attends here now and a 7th grader who attended here when it had issues. If given the opportunity to change schools when my 7th grader was at Willow Springs, I would have jumped at the opportunity. Now, I wouldn't want to change schools at all. Mrs. Pennington, the principal, is an outstanding leader who completely understands the needs of an elementary school. She is a leader who leads by example. She is always concerned about the well being of her staff, students and their families. She goes above and beyond to see to it that the needs for success are met. Please understand that the low rating on this website is primarily based on the PAST issues. No one can please everyone, but it definitely deserves a much higher rating now!

Posted November 26, 2013

avoid THIS SCHOOL if you can , no homework , kids out of control , and allot of teachers,don't seem bothered by the lack of curriculum,fights, pants being pulled down cutting backpacks w/scissors, kissing in bathrooms, just do your research.

Posted September 3, 2013

I just register my kid in willow spring,and Iam looking forward for a great year for him,the reviews are not great ,but i'll put my effort and will get involved to help get things better.my first impression when I enter...well fisrt of all they need to clean the hallways better,there is an unpleasant smell.Also they are not very organized and I think they need more people to help ,later I will be posting in regards teachers,office staff,etc

Posted August 28, 2012

The staff has been increibly welcoming, polite, and helpful. Our daughter seems to be very enthusiastic about her "new school." We were a bit hesitant to send her here given the previous ratings and school's performance. However, there is a new principal is charge this year. They seem to be off to a fabulous start! They had a welcoming orientation prior to "Meet the Teacher" night for the pre-k group. That was wonderful for the parents to be able to see where their babies would be going. We were very happy about that. "Meet the Teacher" night is a bit busy. That would've been a bit overwhelming first school experience for these young children. They seem to take security very seriously with the children - 100% ID check which as a parent I appreciate tremendously. I've seen nothing but smiles from the kids. Looking forward to a super great year for our daughter!! The school is also very diverse which we can appreciate!!! What a wonderful learning opportunity to be with children of all different backgrounds!!!!!

Posted August 13, 2012

2011-2012 I had both of my girls in this school. Pre-K and 4th grade. Pre-K was good (could've been better) but 3rd and 4th was horrible. Our oldest is quite smart, but gets bored REAL fast of the subject once she's learned the subject. The teachers would tell us that they would challenge her, but never did. They made her sit and be quiet while everyone else finished their work since she was done. She did this for a couple of weeks and then quit all together because she was bored. You could NEVER get in to talk to the principle, but you could talk to the VP. Not that that did any good. Yes, We understand your concerns and we promise that we'll address these issues. Yet nothing again would be done! I am SO glad that neither of my girls will attend this school again! A few of the teachers taught my girls discrimination and I am NOT okay with this!

Posted July 14, 2012

We've only been through pre k and kindergarten and so far I'm happy with them. The teachers we have had so far are great!! The principle is awesome, you can tell he loves and cares for the students!! I see him e dry morning and afternoon when dropping off and picking up. I've spoken with him on several instances and he has addressed the problem every time!! We are going into 1st grade and a new student into pre k. Looking forward to another great year!!!

Posted May 29, 2012

I immediately pulled both my children out of WSES. The TAG program is non-existant (was told that my TAG student would not get the gifted education she was entitled too, and that I should just move her up a grade so she doesn't get bored... within the first 2 weeks at school, I transferred her to another elementary school in KISD that did have a TAG program). The principal runs for cover when a parent requests to see him, and the office looks at and speaks to parents like we are an inconvenience. Parking/pick up is unbelievable, with the admin not doing anything to direct horrible traffic (was almost hit a few times trying to cross parking lot due to parents blatantly parking at the "no parking" signed curb). Even after Killeen Police have been called several times, admin stands by and tells us "parents will do what they want - we can't control them". Another occasion, it took admin 4 days to clear an active wasps nest at the pre-k pick up door, even as we were dodging active wasps swooping down at us while we grabbed our children and ran. I just PRAY that my daughters in-district transfer is approved again next year. I would rather home school then have my children attend WSES.

Posted April 27, 2012

I was a student at this school many years ago and I would like to know if my teacher still works there or anyone knows Mirian Jacob if anyone could help me please please please let me know thank you ...

Posted January 24, 2012

I have 2 daughters going to this school. I give one star since the pre-k seems to be a great class for my youngest. My oldest is in 4th grade and this school is so unorganized. I hope come next year neither of my girls will have to attend this school again.

Posted May 6, 2010

We are a military family, much like most of the other families in this area. We moved here from GA. My daughter went to Willow Springs for a week before I withdrew her and put her in a wonderful private school. When she was at Willow Springs she had some adjusting to do, remember we did just move her 1000 miles away from everything she knew. She was in kindergarten. She was misbehaving and acting out a little but most schools understand that it is her adjusting. No, not this school. I had a parent/teacher meeting her 6th day into being in this school for her behavior. The teacher actually sat there and told me that my daughter needed counseling. They didn't even give her time to adjust. Plus she was already reading, that's how far ahead GA schools are. They were learning the letter B in January at Willow Springs.

Posted July 14, 2009

My son has gone here for 3 years. We moved and my son has adjusted to the new school at all as he has PDD. The principal has helped wtih getting him transferred back to WSES. Although I wish they would help more with getting him the therapy he needs for his PDD. He needs in school therapy. I will have to go to other people to make the school help him this year. Good school though

Posted January 20, 2006

I am truly happy that my child is a student at Willow Springs. There are a few things that I would like to see happen. More extracurricular activities for the Kindergarten class. The P.E. Room with central air and heating.Also there have been a few occassions that I have not felt as though the office staff was as attentive as they should of been. I should feel at ease with all the staff and I can't say I feel that with the front office staff. Parents are involved in many of the activities and programs. We adore all of our childs teachers. Her home room teacher is wonderful. When we pick our child up she always has a great report about how much she learned or what she did that day in her classes. The fact that she can tell me what she learned says alot to me.

Posted March 1, 2005

The tag program is great. Ms Anderson the thrid grade tag is the best that they come. This year in 4th grade it seems to be the total oppisite. This is the first year my child has dreaded going to school every day. However on the positive side the principal and school counsler are wonderful and have been a big help. If only every teacher was a Ms Anderson, then all the kids would have the best of the best and the stuff going on this year would not be happening.

Posted July 23, 2004

my child is attending this school. it is very advanced teaching wise. before my child came to this school, he was at a cicero school bearly being teached anything,like 2+2=4. When he transfered over to Willow springs school they were teaching division and fractions. The teachers took there time and teached him well and he is now a honor student. He was also struggling to read, not anymore. great school

Posted May 19, 2004

We've had 2 children at this school for 2 years. It has taken 18 mos to get the schools attention that my children were in accelerated classes prior to enrolling here. As a result, I now have 2 children losing interest in their education at school, but are still eager to learn at home. Make sure you are heard when you need to voice your concerns. It shouldn't take kids being literally 'bored to tears'...

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

136 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

137 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

121 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

121 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

117 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

109 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

111 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

114 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students75%

Limited English proficient (LEP)14%
Proficient in English67%
Not migrant65%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

All Students64%

Proficient in English59%
Not migrant57%
Not Gifted57%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".

Asian or Pacific Islander 2% 4%

• DENISE PENNINGTON
Fax number
  • (254) 519-5606

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now