St. Joseph Catholic School

Private | PK-5

Living in Killeen

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $78,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $670.

Sweep tile

Posted November 23, 2013

St Joseph has quickly gone downhill and the 50% drop in enrollment over one year is a great indication of the decline of the school. The problems exist from the top leadership down to the classroom level. The school is run by a retired principal who does not have the modern capability to effectively run the school. The majority of the teachers are the friends of the principal who have come out of retirement for "easy extra money". Fundraising and begging are a priority over the education of the children. One school term an entire grade level did not receive report cards or have any assessments. In addition, the restrooms are always out if repair and there is mold in the school.

Posted September 23, 2013

My child has been attending St Joseph since pre-k. I am pleased with the discipline and structure the school enforces. The teachers have been caring, attentive and focus on character building. They teach children to think through their actions and decisions and take responsibility for consequences in both social and academic settings. They truly aspire to their mission statement and encourage children to live up to their Tiger traits. I would like to see more productive use of on-line tools. It would also be nice if more research was done into ways the school could obtain funding from federal programs and results were posted through school website.

Posted September 24, 2012

I thought this would be a great place for my children, but I was wrong. To sum it all up at once my children are now in a different catholic school down the road and they are behind on everything. I hate to say it but i really just wasted money send my children here. They would have learned more at a public school. If I could give no stars i would.

Posted March 26, 2012

Great Catholic School. It doesn't get any better than this. Teachers are caring, loving and very devout. This school is a great value and I recommend it to everyone. I cannot wait until my grandchild is old enough to enroll her.

Posted February 3, 2012

I am not very pleased with this school. I would like to think that since I am paying for my child's education that she would receive better than she would get at a public school, but that is not the case here. The school is disorganized, used outdated teaching methods and allows the students little opportunity to be creative. I see favoritism, intimidation, and scare tactics used everyday on the students. The principal is more interested in fund raising and catering to the "higher ups" than she is concerned about the students. There is so much disappointing factors about this school, it's hard to try to list them all in this short amount of space. Few positive aspects are the small student to teacher ratio, importance placed on religion, and the wonderful ladies that manage the after school care program. I wish I had more to say.

Posted February 1, 2012

I have three children in the school for at least three years starting with PK4. There is no finer school than this. The quality of education, student to teacher ratio, and overal educational atmosphere for learning is unparrelled. I would highly recommend this school to any and all parents who seek a higher, more personal learning environment.

Posted December 3, 2011

St. Joseph Catholic School is aweful, the principal should be fired , the PreK 3 teacher last year could not speak English and the Pre-K 4 teacher argues with the children like she is a child herself and uses shaming as a teaching method. So glad to see others have had similar experiences. I also want to add that the teachers and principal have no clue about classroom management and use draconian methods to break children s self-esteem. No spirituality at this place, does more to steer folks away from catholicism.

Posted October 18, 2011

The school is awful. The teachers are so disorganized, and not professional. The school favors certain students. The principal is not professional and does not care about the well-being of the students. Please do not waste money on this school. This school is worse than a public school.

Posted May 17, 2011

This schools is horrible if you have a split family. They only catered to the Mother of my daughter. They were rude and dishonest to me about my daughter's records. The teacher wouldn't return my emails concerning my daughter. When I came to pick-up my daughter early from school one day the Principal tried to withhold my daughter from me. I had to inquire my attorney whom had to threaten the police to force them to release my daughter to me before they would surrender my daughter. Such behavior from the school was traumatizing to my 4year old. I would never recommend this school to anyone.

Posted November 5, 2009

This school is not that great! The Pre-K3 teacher is an educational aide 3. She is not qualified to teach a child and she has a very nasty attitude. If I pay this amount of money for my child's education, I would expect a qualified teacher in the classroom

Posted March 28, 2009

My kids have both attended St Joseph's Pre-K program. The pre-K teachers are outstanding and very loving with the children. Overall I am very satisfied with the school. I only wish where more opportunities for children who are above average in their academic abilities. Some things (fundraisers, PTC, etc.) are a bit disorganized but these things do not have any bearing on the quality of the education the children receive. My children will attend this school as long as we live in the Killeen area.

Posted February 14, 2008

My son was in second grade when we first enrolled him. He was currently at Clarke Elementary on Fort Hood when we pulled him out. I have never been happier then when my husband decided to put our son at St. Joseph. (Believe me when I say Clarke was a nightmare from the staff to their teaching, where to my husband had had enough) I can't see anyone not liking this school. I do however have to admit I hate their uniforms. Coming from Catholic schools all my life, I wish they would dress it up a step.

Posted September 18, 2007

Our child has been attending st.Joseph since pk-3 and we are very pleased with her progress and knowledge. Staff is great, teachers wonderful.

Posted March 13, 2006

Exellent program for K-kids. Overall would strongly recommend.

Posted August 10, 2005

Our child went to this school for one year and it was ok not exactly what i expected from a private school.

Posted October 19, 2004

Do not waste your money going to this school. You get the same low standards of education as you get from a public school for free. They don't care about the students. They just want your money. I took my daughter out of public school to go to this school for higher standards and did not get what I paid for.

Posted September 9, 2003

St. Joe's is a loving caring school that takes [care] of the whole child including their spiritual needs. Being a military family, we felt welcomed completely. You couldn't ask for better, faith and family and a great education in a school!

Two or more races 10% N/A
Asian 7% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Austin

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2901 E Rancier Ave