Ira Cross Jr Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 787 students

Living in Killeen

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $78,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $670.

Posted April 27, 2014

My son attended Ira Cross for one school year. It was awful. Before we moved to TX he was a B student. After one year at this school, we returned to NY and the teachers here informed me that he missed the equivalent of 2 school years. He fell so far behind and the curriculum was so behind. He is finally caught back up. As for the blue line and the whacked out nature of how they handle children.. You're better off with a different school. This was an awful place.

Posted May 24, 2013

Can't wait for the school year to finish by far one of the worst schools. My son loves to go to school until he was enrolled in this school. Since he's been at the school his attitude and his grades have been dropping. We have done parent teacher conferences because he never brings graded papers home beacause i dont know if hes doin better unless i see graded papers to make sure hes in the right path an when I asked the teacher she said she would be sending some out soon. The following week. When she did she sent home probly a total of ten papers from last year I've even given her the benifet of a doubt an checked my sons desk, and bag when I went to see her and didn't find nothing also since my son has been sucker punched and elbowed in the face for no reason the teacher use resese as social hour so kids had to go tell the principal never called me I found out when school was over I can go on and on this school I thank god school year is almost over

Posted August 4, 2012

I pulled my daughter out because I was asked to send extra clothes for her to school, and the other children were stealing them, including her jacket and hat during winter. One kid actually cut my daughter's shirt while it was on her. She was in pre-k which in this district is a glorified daycare. I put her in school because I wanted her to learn how to read, write, spell, count etc. When I asked the teacher when she would learn to read I was told it is not allowed due to the curriculum. The staff forgets to notify you of your children's lunch account and if it is low on funds they will actually take your child's lunch from them at the register and give them a peanut butter sandwich, and if your child asks to call their parent they are refused until the teacher returns after lunch. I have spoken to the principal's several times about this issue and I was told it is school policy. This school also has the highest rate of homeless children.

Posted March 7, 2012

My son went to this school from pre-k and most of kinder but we had to move. I have no idea what the parent below me is posting about - they have OBVIOUSLY never gone and had lunch with their child. I spent many many hours with my son having lunch with him - and it's SO loud you cannot hear yourself think in there! The kids chat and play and enjoy one another, but I don't know about the bus thing. Also, to address the "no recess" thing, the principal has rules in place for the kids, they can't go outside when it's over 80, and below 45 - which I think is reasonable for their well being, comfort, and safety, even though at times, it never drops below 80 in the region, just let your kids play at home. The teachers are wonderful - they communicate and are ALWAYS willing to listen. The male VP is so kind and GREAT with the students, I adore him. They have EXCELLENT family nights to get parents involved in learning with their kids (reading night, game night, math night). The ONLY issue I had with the school was a lack of field trips. To me, field trips mad school MORE exciting, and my son only went on one in 2 years. I loved the teachers, staff, attitude, and compassion.

Posted February 25, 2012

about to move and my daughter goona go to this school......im concerned cause i didnt sign her up for a military school... yeah education is important but social skills are as well ....no talkin during lunch....what the heck is that ....no talkin on the bus.......no wonder why my daughter hates school ,......how u even supposed to make friends.....when i was a kid it was on the bus or at lunch and reeces .....and so far from the schools shes been to down here it seems they only hav reeces once a week ...if .....i can understand why she comes home with that miserable face

Posted December 12, 2011

I have worked at this school and one of my children attended this school over a year ago. Ira Cross is really a great school. I always enjoyed how friendly the staff was and how professional the administration was. I felt appreciated and was commended on my hard work. There was always something positive going on that the children and staff could attend. I did love the TEKS pep rallies. This is truly a great place to work and/or send your children too. Ira Cross Jr. Elementary, you will be missed.

Posted July 18, 2011

I AM A GRANDPARENT AND A THREE YEAR VOULTEER. ITS TRUE THERE IT ALWAYS SOMETHING AFTER SCHOOL AND DURING SCHOOL TO HELP THE KIDS WITH THERE SCHOOL WORK ARE JUST FOR FUNNY.

Posted November 5, 2010

By far one of the best schools in the KISD district. I understand why they are have been accredited as one of the best in the district. I do not believe our kids will ever get a better PUBLIC school education like Ira Cross. Being a army family we will move alot and I am nervous that we won't find a school as great.The teachers are nice and really have a passion for what they do, the school offers alot of activities for the kids, and the kids absolutely adore the principal and assistant principal. My kids have learned spanish and portegues and alot about music in just 4months.and they have went from below avg to proficient in their work.

Posted November 22, 2009

I have a child that is now in 4th grade... She has been going to this school ever since pre-k... I think this school is a good school for my child because the teachers spend almost all of there time teaching kids... I dont like where i pick up my child and drop off my child its to small.... They should relocate it... Somewhere else.. My child teacher is a very good teacher she teaches my child everything she needs to know... When my child comes home she tells me everything she learned and did that day.... It just amazed me how smart she is.

Posted July 24, 2009

i have had two children at ira cross. one is now at khs. the other is now in fourth grade. they both have had some good and bad teachers. my daughters third grade teacher was excellent. she saw my daughters weakness and strengths. she recommended my daughter read every night and take tutoring for math after school. on her taks reading perfect score every question right and math 37 out of 40. a teacher at is really involved with the student is always great. the office staff needs work. the principal who is it. did not see him this year. the female asst principal is the worst she has an attitude, mean and is very grouchy. she has some of the kids in fear of her and kids should not fear the leadership but should feel they could go to them at anytime.

Posted June 4, 2009

The 5th grade team is strict but fair! 5th grade teachers ROCK!

Posted May 18, 2009

I love this school they are the best around.

Posted October 13, 2008

We have been here a full calendar year and now have two sons attending this school. The amount of things that my Pre K student has learned amazes me everyday, and his teacher seems to be very caring and nurturing. My 2nd grader is also doing very well, especially in reading. His grades keep improving and he gets nearly all A's and B's. The parking/pick up situation is terrible. I have to get there no later than 2:20 to be able to park and school is not out until 2:45. I then have to pick up one son on one side, and the older son on the other. The side where older kids are picked up is not covered at all, and this is a big issue when it starts raining and getting cold. The office staff seems to be improving their people skills some thankfully

Posted September 27, 2008

I have two children, one is in third grade and the other is now at killeen high. i think my children have had good and not so good teachers there. i don't see the principal at all. the new drop off they are doing in front of the school i think is a mess. they need to go back and rethink that. the wait to drop off is too long. and if you need to go inside the school there is no park in front and go in. don't like the no pickup after 2:15. i try and schedule appt's late so that they don't have to miss much school, so i think that needs to be looked at by case basis.

Posted August 26, 2008

Ira Cross is an wonderful school for your child to attend. They are strict, they make the children walk on a blue but I feel that is because to keep their class together and not have them all over the hallway. They are teaching structure which our children need. The admin portion of the school really can use some help. For the most part, I have only had problems with one teacher but overall they all seem to have one goal in mind and that is to teach our children.

Posted August 21, 2007

This school has the worst administration I have ever seen. It seems that the principal is just on a power trip and will say what he thinks you want to hear. The kids here are not allowed to be kids. With a child in first grade, I know that he needs to have time to relax a be a kid all day. The school is run like a military camp. They are just little kids, not soldiers. I love my childs teacher but can see that she feels the pressure from the administration to be tough. I

Posted March 20, 2007

It is an excellent School with the rate in which they have your child reading and learning overall.However the semi-military attitude might be a bit much. Walking down the hall ,on the blue line, hands behind back, and mouths shut. In the lunch room they are being trained to be quiet and if they talk they are not allowed outside for recess the only time the child has to express him/herself. I am not saying allow them to just be loud and obnoxious but heck over half do not eat there lunches anyway, try focusing on that instead of forcing them to be quiet. I have sat and watched numerous times the staff focus on the child talking instead of trying to coax the child into eating the entire meal. After all, they do have the Food triangle plastered all over the cafeteria.

Posted September 4, 2006

This school is still growing,they try to make it strict but its not. They still have alot of things to work on. Especially if you have two kids in that school. Everyday I walk to one side of the school to the other because their in different grades.

Posted May 5, 2006

This is a great school. My children attended this school last year.The teachers are really dedicated. My daughter's teacher was great. We moved to a new school this year and when I had a problem with my daughter's new teacher, her previous teacher talked to me for an hour about it. My son had a Pre-K teacher who had them reading by December when my son hardly knew the alphabet at the begining of the year! Now he's in talented and gifted Kindergarten!

Posted July 16, 2005

Initially upon enrollment at this school I was highly disappointed with the quality of academic programs. After about a few weeks the issues I had had been resolved. I wasnt so disappointed. The availablity of sports and extra curricular activities at this school did concern me. I feel that it needs more activities for the students. because there aren't many activities within the school. From my standpoint I was very involved in my childs education and noticed quite a few parents involved also. This school is still in progress and with the proper programs and extra curricular activities can be even better.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

103 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

104 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

109 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

110 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

107 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

84 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

83 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

85 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students88%

Not special education87%
Proficient in English82%
Non-migrant80%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students70%

Proficient in English55%
Non-migrant56%
Non-Gifted55%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian or Pacific Islander 1% 4%

Beginning teachers 5%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Texas Education Agency Recognized Status (2007)

Special education / special needs

School start time
  • 7:30am
School end time
  • 2:45pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Special education
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Autism

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Manor Middle School