Killeen, TX
Before care: Yes

Posted October 19, 2014
I don't even know where to begin with the problems this school has. My child (preK)was sent to the wrong pick up. When I addressed this concern (a long with many others) the AP never once apologized or accepted any responsibility,but had told me that "it happens every year." I was shocked that they found this "normal". If you are misplacing kids in completely different pick up areas yearly then something is NOT right. I tried to have many of my issues hopefully resolved but after continued calling and promised phone conferences,that never happened, it was clear that the staff was not concerned with resolving the issues I had at hand with the school but instead pushing me aside. I withdrew my child and had her transferred. Best decision I've ever made! Stay away from this school.

Posted April 27, 2014
My son attended Ira Cross for one school year. It was awful. Before we moved to TX he was a B student. After one year at this school, we returned to NY and the teachers here informed me that he missed the equivalent of 2 school years. He fell so far behind and the curriculum was so behind. He is finally caught back up. As for the blue line and the whacked out nature of how they handle children.. You're better off with a different school. This was an awful place.

Ira Cross Jr Elementary School 2

Posted May 24, 2013
Can't wait for the school year to finish by far one of the worst schools. My son loves to go to school until he was enrolled in this school. Since he's been at the school his attitude and his grades have been dropping. We have done parent teacher conferences because he never brings graded papers home beacause i dont know if hes doin better unless i see graded papers to make sure hes in the right path an when I asked the teacher she said she would be sending some out soon. The following week. When she did she sent home probly a total of ten papers from last year I've even given her the benifet of a doubt an checked my sons desk, and bag when I went to see her and didn't find nothing also since my son has been sucker punched and elbowed in the face for no reason the teacher use resese as social hour so kids had to go tell the principal never called me I found out when school was over I can go on and on this school I thank god school year is almost over

Posted August 04, 2012
I pulled my daughter out because I was asked to send extra clothes for her to school, and the other children were stealing them, including her jacket and hat during winter. One kid actually cut my daughter's shirt while it was on her. She was in pre-k which in this district is a glorified daycare. I put her in school because I wanted her to learn how to read, write, spell, count etc. When I asked the teacher when she would learn to read I was told it is not allowed due to the curriculum. The staff forgets to notify you of your children's lunch account and if it is low on funds they will actually take your child's lunch from them at the register and give them a peanut butter sandwich, and if your child asks to call their parent they are refused until the teacher returns after lunch. I have spoken to the principal's several times about this issue and I was told it is school policy. This school also has the highest rate of homeless children.

Posted March 07, 2012
My son went to this school from pre-k and most of kinder but we had to move. I have no idea what the parent below me is posting about - they have OBVIOUSLY never gone and had lunch with their child. I spent many many hours with my son having lunch with him - and it's SO loud you cannot hear yourself think in there! The kids chat and play and enjoy one another, but I don't know about the bus thing. Also, to address the "no recess" thing, the principal has rules in place for the kids, they can't go outside when it's over 80, and below 45 - which I think is reasonable for their well being, comfort, and safety, even though at times, it never drops below 80 in the region, just let your kids play at home. The teachers are wonderful - they communicate and are ALWAYS willing to listen. The male VP is so kind and GREAT with the students, I adore him. They have EXCELLENT family nights to get parents involved in learning with their kids (reading night, game night, math night). The ONLY issue I had with the school was a lack of field trips. To me, field trips mad school MORE exciting, and my son only went on one in 2 years. I loved the teachers, staff, attitude, and compassion.

Ira Cross Jr Elementary School 3

Posted February 25, 2012
about to move and my daughter goona go to this school......im concerned cause i didnt sign her up for a military school... yeah education is important but social skills are as well ....no talkin during lunch....what the heck is that ....no talkin on the bus.......no wonder why my daughter hates school ,......how u even supposed to make friends.....when i was a kid it was on the bus or at lunch and reeces .....and so far from the schools shes been to down here it seems they only hav reeces once a week ...if .....i can understand why she comes home with that miserable face

Posted December 12, 2011
I have worked at this school and one of my children attended this school over a year ago. Ira Cross is really a great school. I always enjoyed how friendly the staff was and how professional the administration was. I felt appreciated and was commended on my hard work. There was always something positive going on that the children and staff could attend. I did love the TEKS pep rallies. This is truly a great place to work and/or send your children too. Ira Cross Jr. Elementary, you will be missed.

Posted July 18, 2011
I AM A GRANDPARENT AND A THREE YEAR VOULTEER. ITS TRUE THERE IT ALWAYS SOMETHING AFTER SCHOOL AND DURING SCHOOL TO HELP THE KIDS WITH THERE SCHOOL WORK ARE JUST FOR FUNNY.

Posted November 05, 2010
By far one of the best schools in the KISD district. I understand why they are have been accredited as one of the best in the district. I do not believe our kids will ever get a better PUBLIC school education like Ira Cross. Being a army family we will move alot and I am nervous that we won't find a school as great.The teachers are nice and really have a passion for what they do, the school offers alot of activities for the kids, and the kids absolutely adore the principal and assistant principal. My kids have learned spanish and portegues and alot about music in just 4months.and they have went from below avg to proficient in their work.

Ira Cross Jr Elementary School 4

Posted November 22, 2009
I have a child that is now in 4th grade... She has been going to this school ever since pre-k... I think this school is a good school for my child because the teachers spend almost all of there time teaching kids... I dont like where i pick up my child and drop off my child its to small.... They should relocate it... Somewhere else.. My child teacher is a very good teacher she teaches my child everything she needs to know... When my child comes home she tells me everything she learned and did that day.... It just amazed me how smart she is.

Ira Cross Jr Elementary School
1910 Herndon Drive, Killeen, TX  76543
Last modified Ira Cross Jr Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ira Cross Jr Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top