Maxdale Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 779 students

Posted May 29, 2014

I love Mrs. Peggi Nunley and Mrs. Kerri Baugh Fattig. They have always addressed issues and they love my kids. Every time I go to office, they know who I am and they help me immediately. Since my sons have started here, their speech went from 14-18 words to 100s of words. They can count, do ABCs, and have manners like crazy.

Posted August 12, 2013

Do yourself a favor and NEVER enroll your child in this program if you care about his academics or well being. My son has attended Maxdale Elementary since he was in Pre-K. He was in the TAG program and in the 2nd grade he was diagnosed with ADHD. The unprofessionalism of the staff tops the charts. They were more interested in policy and proceedures than the child itself. There was very little effort to work with my son on a personal level. It felt if he was more of a burden because he did not fit the "mold" My son is very intelligent, inquisitive and has tested well above his grade level and peers. He was also very verbal with his opinions and this seemed to not set well with ANY of the staff. He was issued an assault warning for making a slingshot out of pencil and rubber band and hitting a student in the head with a paper wad the size of a pea... this was only one instance of many. Needless to say we have moved him to Richard E Cavazos Elementary School. Their scores are much better, their staff nicer and overall seem to care about the kids. My daughter will start school next year and I vowed she will NEVER step foot into Maxdale Elementary.

Posted May 23, 2013

My daughter attended Maxdale for special needs pre-school while we were stationed at Fort Hood. We had Ms. Baugh and she was TERRIFIC! I did experience a little attitude from the office staff but I really think that your whole experience depends on what teacher you get.

Posted May 17, 2013

I really like Maxdale Elementary School because my grand daugther attend there and she is comfortable attending Maxdale. The staff has always been very polite to me. I do not live in Killeen, Texas but do visit often and have went to Maxdale Elementary School to pick up my grandchild to take to a doctor appt and was very pleased with the office personnel.

Posted November 1, 2011

I had my daughter spend one year and had enough. I volunteered A LOT in my child's class, but had a very difficult time with the office staff. I found it highly inappropriate to be showing movies so frequently (even during gym). Not only that, but ones I felt were not age appropriate or educational by any means. (ie: Come on... High School Musical for kindergarteners?) Lunch was pathetic. My packer could not eat until the whole table was eating. So they had to wait for the lunch line. By the time all the kids were sitting they had between 5-10 minutes to eat. I was not impressed with some of the teachers going down to students level of disrespect either. My daughter was exposed to issues with sexual abuse from another child and after talking to a teacher & admin about how concerned I was that things were going on at the playground I was told "Welcome to Killeen". Just shocking. Everyone was nice on a personal level - just the standard was very low... Maybe I should blame that on being in Killeen??

Posted October 10, 2011

Unfortunately we were just resumed to maxdale from willow springs elem. And I am very disappointed with the school! The teachers and aids seem friendly! As far as the cafeteria staff they are absolutely unacceptable. By the second day of school they were yelling at 4 year olds to remember a six digit pin number for their breakfast and lunch and when they ouldnt remember the pin trays were snatched from their hands and sent outside to another teacher or aid to get their Pins!!! I saw kids leave in tears! The office staff is so rude!! They have attitudes as soon as you walk in. They claim to be following policies yet they have not a clue what the policy is. They say that we (parents) shouldn't walk our children to class because we need to let them grow up, well that's easy tO say when your child attends the school you work out and sits in the front office with you all morning until it's time for class!!!! Not all students have older siblings to help them.

Posted July 18, 2011

My daughter, Jordan Anna-James Davidson-Frazier, graduated 5th grade and will soon be embarking on her 6th year in Middle School. Residing here in Killeen, Texas for the past few years, and having the opportunity to communicate with the educators at Maxdale. I found that many are passionate about what they do and the children they teach, in which reflects in the TAKS Scores, and the overall environment at Maxdale. Thank you, for teaching my child as will as the other children in attendence at Maxdale, you have broaden her furture. AFCMSVO/NAPSP

Posted January 26, 2011

Maxdale is a fantastic school. My pre-k son was evaluated and placed in their PPCD program. His teacher was unbelievably caring and they were in the process of mainstreaming him into a normal classroom with another wonderful teacher when we received PCS orders sadly taking us away from TX. We have since relocated to GA and still miss Maxdale greatly! The teachers there clearly care a great deal about their students. The prek teacher in the classroom my son was being transitioned to took pictures of every individual child throughout the day in school and emailed them to the respective parents to let them see what their child was working on. For a parent with a child who struggles with speech, I thought that was pretty amazing. My son and I could open the pictures she sent each day thus enabling us talk about his day. To me that showed a great deal of dedication students and their parents.

Posted June 8, 2010

I have 3 kids who attend Maxdale. This is 5 years going. I am not a fan of the office staff. They aren't the friendliest. The turnover rate in principles and staff is crazy. Dropping off and picking up is a mad house and then add in the other parents who act like this is a highschool. People complain of parent involvement but don't want to get involved even when you ask for help which in some way if the school was more welcoming to the parents it would help. The school is strict with the kids with recess (they will take it before they give it), talking (not even at lunch 95% of the time). Most of the teachers are caring and do a very well job. There are a few who have been known to not be appropriate at the work place and shouldn't be there.

Posted March 9, 2010

We are a military family and my son went here K-5. At one point they did have to end the PTA because of lack of parent involvement. We now have a PTO that is very successful. It's a safe school with a very diverse student body.

Posted July 29, 2008

I think Maxdale is a great school as far as the teachers go. I think as far as the parent involvement goes it's terrible. There is no PTA at this schol and there has not been one since the new princible took over last year. The music program here is terrible, but has improved, and there are two many kids in PE that there is not much room for the kids to run around and play. I don't like the fact that the kids can not talk at lunch and more then half the time they forget to turn the cups to green so the kids can talk. I would like to see recess be required. These kids do not get outside enough.

Posted December 9, 2006

My son loves Maxdale and I am very pleased with the teachers and staff. You could not ask for a better school...everyone is friendly and willing to help. The teachers are superb in making sure the children are getting what they need out of each lesson. Being military, its sometimes hard to adjust to new surroundings, but they have been wonderful in helping my son fit in and feel welcome. I highly recommend this school to anyone moving into the area. Its a school who cares about the safety and well being of our children.

Posted March 3, 2006

My son goes to Maxdale and is in Kindergarten. They have high expectations for 5 year olds. My son can answer comprehension questions from a short story in a complete sentence. Students go to 20 minutes of music and 20 minutes of P.E. daily. Parents are pretty involved in book fairs and fundraisers. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted January 19, 2006

My son goes to Maxdale and I think it is a very good school. I think the teachers are nice and the office staff is extremely friendly are are willing to do what they can to help.

Posted January 19, 2006

I would like to add that my son is also in a special Ed. class at Maxdale and the review i read about special ed. not being what it should be there is untrue in my opinion i think they have a really good special ed. program.

Posted April 29, 2005

For the March 2004 posting: Accidents happen! I have 4 kids but I can't smother them and expect babysitters or school's to watch them and only them. The school should have an explanation, yes, but if it was an accident, what more can they tell you besides sorry? My daughter was stabbed in the hand with a pencil, on accident, by another little girl in her class, but I would never NOT recommend this school because of it.

Posted April 5, 2004

Maxdale is the best elementary school that my children have attended. Due to military moves, my children have gone to five different elementary schools. One of my children has been in special education and one has been in the pre-kindergarten program. Both programs are exceptional. My children have excelled beyond my expectations and the administration and teaching staff are superb. I hope we are able to stay here long enough for my children to finish school at Maxdale.

Posted March 20, 2004

At first I did not have a problem with this school. That is, until my son was injured due to teacher/aide negligence. My son is confined to a wheel chair, and somehow it was tipped over, resulting in him landing face first onto the asphalt. To date no one from the school has provided me with a reasonable explanation as to how this occurred. Unfortunately this is the only school in the district that provides the services that my child requires. If you have a child with diabilities I would avoid sending them to this school if at all possible.

Posted July 15, 2003

I taught at Willow Springs and then at Maxdale. Unfortunately, the military decided it was time to move on to another country. I am currently teaching in Europe. I just want to say that Maxdale is a wonderful school. The administration is awesome and the staff is terrific. I hope to come back to the Killeen area after our tour is over and will be looking forward to teaching for the K.I.S.D. Hopefully, Maxdale will welcome me with open arms. Keep up the super work.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

86 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

86 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

100 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

100 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

97 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

83 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

82 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

83 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students84%

Not special education91%
Proficient in English88%
Not migrant89%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students86%

Proficient in English63%
Not migrant63%
Not Gifted61%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 3% 4%

• BOBBIE EVANS
Fax number
  • (254) 634-6135

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now