Kingwood, TX

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted August 18, 2015
There are a couple of nice and effective teachers, but the majority don't even seem to like children. The attitude, or malaise, displayed by these teachers seems spiteful towards all children and parents. In the middle there a few who try to be nice, just long enough to study for an administration position.

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted August 18, 2015
The homework, with one or two exceptions, did little to teach anything. It seemed like busy work with little purpose. I'd rather have seen more reading, which there was little of, or projects that applied the principles taught in class.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted August 18, 2015
There is absolutely nothing in place to teach these things. Again, show up, shut up, take the test.....if you do those things you will be a model student.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted August 18, 2015
They don't care as long as the kids shut up and do what they're told.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted August 18, 2015
They are too busy marching to class and taking standardized tests to do and real learning, much less anything compassionate.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted August 18, 2015
The school policies don't promote this environment. There is too much "zero tolerance" for any teachable moments to happen.

Bear Branch Elementary School 2

Posted August 18, 2015
BBE focuses a lot on standardized tests and following the rules. Very little emphasis on actual applied learning happens here. This is just one of many example - I went to an open house to see my child's work, meet the teacher, etc. I was shown a math worksheet on "stems and leaves." I asked the teacher to explain it, and she did. I asked her, because it didn't seem at all useful, how would one use it in real life? She said, "I don't know, they just told me to teach it." My child came to the teacher asking if there was anyone else by the bathrooms? He said that he heard a man's voice and was scared. What did the teacher do? She argued that there was no one there, but NEVER sent someone to make sure no person was in the school! I've caught the administration telling lies, and caught the teachers violating state policies. They tried to make up excuses, until they found out I was a teacher. As a teacher I am very disappointed in this school. A lot of rules, a lot of testing, very little learning, and even less caring.

Bear Branch Elementary School 5

Posted March 25, 2013
BBE is an awesome learning environment for my son. I also like that the school encourages parents to participate throughout the year.

Bear Branch Elementary School 4

Posted February 21, 2013
We have been at BBE for 4 years now, my son is about to move into middle school. The teachers have been great, we had one cranky teacher but she has since left the school. Most of my complaints have to do with low funds (lack of field trips, music, computer and art programs are not full year, small and not enough classrooms). There are 28 kids in my childs classroom, it's way too crowded. Two formal parent/teacher meetings a year, in my opinion, are not enough. There are always things a school could work on to improve and I do think BBE is trying. The PTA has a lot of ways to get parents involved in the school. One big way I feel that the school needs to improve is the principal and school counselor. When I tried to reach out to them, neither of them were willing to speak to me unless my child was a trouble maker or had serious learning problems.

Bear Branch Elementary School 5

Posted July 24, 2011
My child has been at BB for 3 years and starting his 4th. We've had awesome and concerned teachers. I've had interaction with several teachers and love them all. Most of the critical reviews are old and we don't actually know what the child was like. I have a friend whose child is high strung and won't listen to authority. Does that make the school bad? No. It means you want to school to cater to your child.

3500 Garden Lk, Kingwood, TX  77339
Last modified Bear Branch Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bear Branch Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top