Lampasas High School

Public | 9-12 | 1023 students

Posted December 28, 2013

This school is not one you want your kids going to. If your not sports, have a popular last name or fit into their mindset of what you have to be like then your nothing. The guidance counselors only help you if they believe you have a chance for a future, Teachers don't care much. I've had several teachers, and I was only there from 10-12 grade, who didn't care and let us do whatever. Don't sent your kids here if you want a bright future for them.

Posted August 3, 2013

Extremely Unsatisfactory.I have attended this school district for 3 yrs,grades 8-10 and is directly behind many of the reasons why i am dropping out and going to Job Corps to get my GED to get a head start on college.Their only primary concerns are Attendance,their beyond ridiculous dress code(which doesn't apply to people in sports/cheerleading) and sports(the sports teams here are a joke and win about a quarter or a third of all of their games).Everything else is a secondary concern,including grades/education.the food here is mostly sub-par and is expensive,almost all electives are agriculture/or related,only a handful of electives are available outside of agricultural field,most of the teachers are dumb/incompetent and play favorites with certain students(and even cheat for them)there are a few exceptions but rare,the town's general attitude is no different in the school system.they hate LGBT,military,non-protestant christians and ppl of any other religion,anybody who isn't white and conservative,and in general anybody who isn't born and raised locally.I fall under all of the above and had a really difficult time and the odds were always against me.PS i was a quiet loner.DONT GO

Posted July 16, 2013

Lampasas High School provides a solid, if unspectacular, education. The student body is too diverse socioeconomically to pretend it is an ideal college prep school. That being said, the kids in the top half of their class go on to college and seem to do okay. Teachers, for the most part, care about their students and communicate with parents who are concerned and make the effort. The current principal runs a tight ship and discipline is good if not perfect. Athletics are a mixed bag but overall there are plenty of opportunities for kids to participate. Band, choir, FFA, UIL Speech & Debate as well as an active Key Club service organization are among extracurricular activities. Two of my kids have graduated from LHS and I can honestly say that I felt they were in a safe learning environment and in this day and age that means something.

Posted June 4, 2013

My child attended Lampasas from 1-12 grades. She then after attended Texas Tech University and struggled with all her core classes. Her adviser said it was due to the poor education she recieved from Lampasas. She was in all AP classes and made all A's and B's. This school will not prepare your child for college. Attendance and State Testing is their main concerns.

Posted May 23, 2013

This school is absolutely dreadful. I've been attending LHS for two years now and it has been the worst experience of my life thus far. God forbid you aren't a part of the football team or the small sports and athletic department they do offer or you literally amount to nothing. The food is putrid and the school is packed like a sardine can 90% of the time due to all of the nonexistent funding we do receive going to the meat-head football coaches to support our terribly ungifted team. Technology is severely out of date and pretty much inaccessible to students. Lampasas High School honestly only cares about sports and attendance as you get lunch detention if you are late to class more than three times per semester. Attendance is unreasonable and put above any other factors on the 'Important List'. The teachers at the school are apathetic towards the students education and the connect between parent-teacher is virtually nonexistent unless they are old high school buddies or share the same football team. The students are ignorant and the base community is white supremacists only attending simply because it's required. I wouldn't allow my worst enemy to attend this sad school.

Posted April 15, 2011

We are a Military family and have been many places and this is one of the best schools my children have been to. I am so happy that we picked this small town school for our kids. My son graduated last year and is currently in college. My daughter is about to graduate and she is very prepared. The teachers are great. They know how to interact with the youth. Keep it up LHS!!!!!

Posted September 11, 2009

Our teachers are great and im learning alot. Academics are wonderful. The band has been a great experience. Our coaches are mostly hired right out of college and causes the school alot of grief. They make the players look bad with such poor coaching. Overall Lampasas High School is a great place.

Posted January 24, 2009

In my opinion, I don't like LHS at all. They are building a new high school, which will open this next school year, and my class with be the first to graduate. They are thinking of uniforms, and seniors can't have off periods, and no off campus lunch. At first I was excited for the new school, but now I'm not. They have been putting gates up all around the school now, because middle school gets to go to the current LHS, and it's closed in. There isn't enough space. And there's no courses to take at all, they are all lame. There's like 5 elective choices. And next school years, the seniors are just going to have a bunch of study hall classes because most juniors this year are only going to need 3 or 4 classes next year. LHS needs work, teacher wise.

Posted October 25, 2008

Personally, I think this school has just been getting worse over the years. Im a sophomore this year at Lampasas High and I have been attending LSID all my life. We finally are getting a new high school built for next years term but, in five or ten years THAT school will probably be too small. There is NO cool courses I can take that can prepare me for college. Like, they tell us that we have to take at least two years of a foreign language, but they only give us the choice of Spanish 1 and 2. So for the people that already know the language of Spanish has to sit through two years of a pointless class that they can be using for classes they want and need to take to prepare them for college. That's just the beginning..

Posted September 10, 2008

If I had a chance to do it all over again I would have placed my children in a different school district. Every year I tell my children things will get better and every year I feel like I have lied to my children. My kids ties to friends is the only reason I kept them in this school district.

Posted July 27, 2008

If your looking for a school that can prepare your child for higher learning this is a good school. If you want a school that handles diversity well than this is not the school for you. If your child is interested in softball or volleyball this school is not for you. We have the poorest run programs in the state of Texas. We do have great programs in soccer,tennis,basketball,golf,and band.

Posted June 15, 2008

This will be my 2nd year at LHS, and honestly, i think this is a horrible school. Teachers don't care about you. Unless your in sports, that's a huge thing here. If your're not in sports, your NOTHING. Teachers here are rude and very disrespectful. A few of my teachers this past year told my class that we weren't capable of doing anything on our own. They don't teach very well, at all. SOME teachers do help you out, and try their hardest. But, its a select few. Content Mastry is a place for anyone to go if they need somewhere to go, so it's not fair who those who actually need to go. There's almost no course selections. They are taking so many classes out. And when i got here last year, they were completely rude to me. It's not a place i'd let my kids go, ever.

Posted May 29, 2008

Too much emphasis on attendance, little interest in actual teaching. Open campus at lunch time encourages tardiness, and other infractions like smoking, etc. Out of Touch withstudents

Posted April 23, 2008

The work or lack there of in this school has, if anything, stopped any potential higher learning I may try and accomplish. Moving from a bigger school i did expect there to be a slight change in pase but not to such a slow and meaning less point. I have for the most part just revisited on things i have learned in the past not alowing me be properly preped for collage. If you are thinking of bring your children to this school and wish for them to complete anything other then high school dont wast your childrens time.

Posted February 25, 2008

This school is definitely 'below' average. My son is in the 9th grade this year and I have never seemed a school that the teachers seem to have no concern for the children education. In the past, I have tried several times to contact my son s teachers by email and telephone to no avail. I had to call the principal to get a teacher to return my call. One teacher knew that my son was having academic problems in her class but she never notified me about it and failed him with a 37 GPA for the six weeks. It wasn't until I called her concerning his grade that she stated she has over 100 students and don't have the time to notify every parent. My husband and I have decided to move our son to another school district. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted August 1, 2004

We have three children in three Lampasas Schools, soon to be four in four, and last year was their first year in this district. All in all, and so far, Lampasas Admin and Teachers appear much more 'real' than the ficticious power attitudes of many surrounding districts. As parents, knowing that our children can 'relate' to their Teachers as representing real people with real lives of their own and aside of the school system is a very natural importance of representing true life. To have our children home after school is just what we expect. It's our family time and there is much work to be completed overall in the few short hours after school. It is here that the Lampasas Schools do not constantly and consistently intrude or infringe upon the family as do some representing a system that is never full.

Posted July 30, 2004

Outragious is the only word to describe the registration process for this school. My daughter comes from a much larger district and it has never taken 3 hours to accomplish. Unorganized stations and extremely slow processing were the main problems. I am thoroughly concerned with the quality of teaching due to this lasting first impression.Some courses were not available at all or were full. As a new student and a 9th grader, my daughter was treated like vermin to be pushed to the side. She does not deserve this kind of treatment and should be given the same oportunities as students already enrolled in the district. This school had very few helpful employees and needs to rethink current registration procedures. For any parent new to the system be ready to stay 3 hours or more since all students are required to appear on the same day.

Posted July 8, 2004

LHS is a decent school surrounded by a mostly rural area. The teachers are generally academically sound, but they are politically quite conservative. Critical thinking is not encouraged here. Still, they are quite solid on the three 'R's' and rate above similar schools in the state. The reason for this probably reaches Fort Hood, TX which is close by and injects a lot of students into the district. This brings diversity in culture, race, and a somewhat more urbane parent and student. This school receives our grade of 'B-' for its overall curriculum.

Posted April 19, 2004

When I attended Lampasas in 1996-2000 it was very unsatisfactory. The teachers were great and helped as much as they could, but class sizes were large. All students who needed help couldnt get it. Many graduating seniors could not read, and it went unnoticed because they were unsure how to get help. The dress code was ridiculous, standards are understandable but there seemed to be none. Sports were the main and sometimes only concern. The books were very outdated when I attended, some from the early 80's. Parents needed to get more involved with their children. Many were disrespectful and knew their parents were influential people in the small town and they did what they wanted. More parental guidance would do a great deal to make the school a safer, enjoyable place. I do hear the new principal has done some very good things. It may be better now.
—Submitted by a former student

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

263 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

259 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

237 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

232 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

232 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

229 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

237 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

235 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

234 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

238 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students95%

White99%
Economically disadvantaged97%
Special education87%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

209 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

258 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

233 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

290 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

296 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

246 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

195 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

270 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

Algebra I

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 6%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

207 West 8th Street