Lancaster High School

Public | 9-12 | 1748 students

Living in Lancaster

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $90,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $980.

Posted January 31, 2011

I can't believe some of the remarks being made about my school. A lot of great things are happening here and I want to make that clear to all of the people viewing this website. I'm proud to be a member of the Tiger family!

Posted January 8, 2011

this school is great it has great teaching techniques its in a good environment and the staff is great so if you want your children in a good school where they will actually learn then send them here

Posted January 6, 2011

Based on the experiences of my daughter during the first half of the 2010-2011 year, along with the encounters I've had as an involved parent with her teachers and the administration, I am impressed with L.H.S. She is excelling there! This is our first year in Lancaster schools. In doing my research, I read all of the comments on GreatSchools.com. I contacted district officials with any questions or concerns I had and always received a prompt response. I checked to see if the course offerings at the school were similar to those at her previous high school and they were. I even attended a few school and district events with my daughter during the latter half of the '09-'10 school year to get a better feel for things. After doing all of this and hearing the opinions of parents with kids attending L.H.S., we decided to give the school a chance and it was definitely the right decision.

Posted December 31, 2010

The delimma that I am facing is this..My daughter is going to be a sophmore for the '11-'12 school year and her education is above all THE most important thing to me..I understand LHS is a work in progress, but what does that do for the current students?? The one's who have the weather the storm..How are the extracurricular arts (Choir, Orchestra, etc.) advancing? The plan is to move to TX and she is to attend LHS, but sacrificing now is not what she needs to do to enhance her future..The negative comments are unfortunately outweighing the positive, which makes the decision a little difficult..Hopefully I get a better grasp when I speak with the administration, and can put my concerns at ease about the school..For now, LHS (students, staff, and admin) do what you have to do..Just KEEP MOVING FORWARD!!!

Posted May 9, 2010

I'm the parent of a child at Lancaster High School. Despite some of the earlier comments, my child has had good teachers and is excelling academically. To just negatively generalize all students attending this school is wrong. My child and many others are well-behaved and doing the right things to succeed. Parents, put yourself in your child's shoes for a moment. If you were a student and read comments that devalued your hard work and commitment to obtaining a good education, how would you feel? My definition of a great school is one where the administration and teachers care about their students. From personal experience, I've seen that at LHS.

Posted April 27, 2010

The students are out of control & the teachers are just there to get a check. In my 7 years in this district, there has only been 2 teachers who made a difference in my kids lives. My kid is sitting in a spanish class where the original teacher quit & the sub does not speak spanish. I walked in the class one day & the students were calling role while the sub appeared to be just BSing around. Homosexuality if a way of life. Regarding the other postings about this school that says they are from the parents....I don't believe that crap. I can't think of one parent that I've come across in 7 years that's pleased this district. As far as PTA meetings, I've joined & never received any info about it and has never gone to a meeting.

Posted April 18, 2010

To echo the sentiments of parents who responded earlier, I'm pleased with this school.

Posted March 29, 2010

I'm a Lancaster High School student and my experience has been a positive one. The bottom line is that students who come to school wanting a good education will get one. Throughout my time here, I have had very supportive teachers. There are rules and some of the policies are strictly enforced. For those of us who follow them, it isn't a major issue. I have relatives who attend different high schools where order has completely broken down to the point that all students' education is negatively impacted. That is not the case at LHS. Our school has a great future ahead of it.

Posted March 26, 2010

I am not to please with Lancaster High School or the Lancaster ISD Staff. Being a student coming from from Irivng ISD I was not able to adjust to the enviornment. I basically felt like a student transferring to a school in Crenshaw CA. The principal Roosevelt Niven is more concerned about diciplince and seems as if he doesnt care about us the students. To be quite honestly I feel as if I am a money bag walking around just to put a quick dollar in some of these teachers pockets. I rate LHS a 2 out of 10

Posted October 19, 2009

I attend Lancaster High School and I am very pleased with this school. I have great teachers who care about their students. Although some people continue to make disparaging comments about LHS or look down on the students who go there, it is not a bad school. I'm proud to be a member of the Tiger family.

Posted September 15, 2009

I attended Lancaster High School my whole 4 years of high school. I feel that the school district as a whole needs reorganization. I have never came face to face with such rude, unorganized people. From the principal on down, this school justify the thought of 'schools in the hood, performing lower than schools in the suburbs' because these such a lack of encouagement. The school seems to focus more on disciplinary issues than academics and encouraging its students to be all they can be. I would never sent my children to this school because I would not want them to go throught what I went though.

Posted June 4, 2009

I am an involved parent at LHS and I feel we are making good progress in educating children. Communication is key when the outcome is learning and parent involvement. There are some very devoted teachers and staff members at our school that I feel really put 'Children First'. Let's stay positive and have open and honest communication via email or phone with our teachers and staff. It takes all of us working together to make sure all children achieve their highest potential.

Posted May 1, 2009

i currently go to LHS and i believe that there should be more parent involvement and more teachers taking responsibility for what and how they teach. the students need to become more interested in their work. I also think we should be changed to a performing arts school. there are so many talented children at this school but they just dont know how and when to express themselves.

Posted April 11, 2009

I am a mother of three kids in Lancaster schools. My oldest son attends Lancaster High School. I agree with the posts made on February 19, 2009 and April 2, 2009. As an active parent, I have witnessed the improvements that have been made recently. The good things that are happening at this school rarely make the headlines while anything negative gets blown completely out of proportion. Those stories are then seized upon mostly by people outside of the district who use it as a way to bash or unfairly stereotype all Lancaster students. An overwhelming majority of LHS students are good kids doing all the right things. I am satisfied with the education my son is receiving at LHS. He attends a state-of-the-art campus with the latest technology, has a wide variety of activities and programs to choose from, and my experiences with his teachers have been favorable.

Posted April 2, 2009

TAKS scores will not be back for the High School until May!!!! I am sure that our students will prove all the 'haters' wrong. I challenge the pessimistic people who, most likely, have not even been on our campus to witness the outstanding things happening at LHS. Can you imagine someone telling you child they are failures and there is no way they can make it in life? that is what you are doing to the students at LHS when you bad mouth and attack the school. Don't assume everything you hear is true. Get informed of the facts - then talk!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 30, 2009

I hated going to Lancaster High until this year, now we have a challenging program (IB). I enjoy what we go through at this school and I know that it will better my future. I encourage any parent who wants their child to have the best future to enter them into the IB program at any school that provides it.

Posted February 19, 2009

LHS has continued to make progress this year. We have great administrators who care about our students. There are also excellent programs and course offerings for highly motivated students. Lancaster is a nice community with a high school bursting with potential.

Posted December 1, 2008

I am really disappointed in the new High School. All The schools use to be recognized schools and now they are low preforming schools. I feel when you have Problems with the top administrators it filters to the bottom. The teachers are unprofessional, there diction and speech is worst than street thug lanuage.

Posted September 17, 2008

Lancaster is an improving district, the administration is really improving, it's growing pains.

Posted April 1, 2008

I believe in the leadership and staff at this school, trying to provide the best education we can for the children in our care. it takes a long time to turn a big ship, but the commitment is there.
—Submitted by a teacher

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

461 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

465 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

368 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

361 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

360 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

358 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

378 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

373 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

372 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

375 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students88%

Hispanic100%
Economically disadvantaged96%
Special education70%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

381 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

418 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

349 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

413 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

406 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

360 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

360 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

366 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

411 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

359 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 9%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

200 East Wintergreen Road