Lancaster Middle School

Public | 7-8 | 988 students

Living in Lancaster

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $98,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $840.

Posted August 1, 2007

LMS's only disadvantage has been the parent participation. The academic programs are there for any child to succeed, the extracurricular activities are there and the people that want to be on the PTA board are there. It is up to the parents/voters to come out and show support for the needs of our children. If we have too many children in this building and not enough teachers, we only have ourselves to blame.

Posted July 30, 2007

I am a former 8th grade student at Lancaster Jr. High school and now a Freshman at Lancaster High. I myself agree with some of the parents about behavior problem at the Jr.High. Some stutdents go to school to learn and stay focus. There are plenty of teachers that do their job and teach the students. I was also on the National Jr. Honor Society and a Dancer. The more extracurricular activities keep the students focus on their school work. Because the rules are 'No Pass No PLay' therefore they will try their best to pass.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 1, 2007

The administrators do nothing about the kids that are struggling to learn and can not due to consist interruptions. It seems the kids that act the worst get the best respect from the teachers and administrators. Way too many projects given to students at a time. Afterschool programs are needed for the schools. I am thinking about removing my child and placing her in another district. If tax dollars pay for education, then we are they going to start

Posted April 22, 2007

I don't know how many kids they have but, they have a lot. It has to be over 1300 students. Anyway, my child id experiencing success because I am active. There are a few teachers that should not be there but, the majority of them care about students. The discipline is better and my kid can learn is a safe environment. The teachers and Principal meet with me when I schedule an appoinment and they get back to me soon. I went to the first PTA meeting and all the parents complained. This is my 3rd child in LISD and I'm one of the many happy parents.

Posted January 31, 2007

Lancaster ISD is the worst school district ever. My son has not had success in any area. They moved the Jr. High to the old high school and it is falling apart. Every time I am there to make an inquiry about my son I have a long wait or no answers. The school rules are ridiculous, they focus on things such as the hair style a child has and if the child wears a suite on Wed. The expectation that a child can go all day without talking is crazy. What happen to the days when at lunch you can sit with whom you want and talk. Lunch is too short and children should be allowed to step outside to have a breath of fresh air when in a stuffy old building for so long. I think things could be a 100% better for the amount of taxes I pay

Posted December 29, 2006

this school could not be any worse
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 3, 2006

My daughter has been at the Junior High for the past 2 years. She's never passed any part of the TAKS test and I don't see where they did anything to improve that. I agree that the teachers attendance is poor. Even though in some classes she was supposed to have a regular teacher she continously had subs. This affects the children's learning. They spent a lot of time worrying about the right color belt or things of that nature and suspending kids for those infractions. The classes were filled with kids who were unruly and disrespectful. A lot of times regardless of what you've tried to instill in your child they see these kids getting away with that behavior they figure it's okay to do the same thing. My child was allowed to be out of class 5 times in a row and I was not notified at all.

Posted June 23, 2006

My son attended Lancaster Jr High for both 7th and 8th grade much to my regret.This district is in the worst shape as far as academics are concerned.

Posted March 20, 2006

The quality of academic programs in Lancaster is improving as the district is striving to meet and address student learning. Extracurricular activities for any school has never been and shouldnt be of concern when preparing students to meet the challenges of a progressive society. What does concern me within the junior high school is the lack of parental concern, involvement, and support for student learning. There are a larger number of parents who are concerned and involved in their child's progress however, as usual the bad overshadows the good. The smaller number of students whose parents uphold their children in every act that they do has caused a spoiling of the rest of the apples in the bunch. Helping all students to be successful means the community coming to together (parent, teacher, child, church, and others) to steer and guide the child not the system.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 17, 2006

Lancaster Junior High is an excellent school. The teachers are commited to student achievement. It is difficult for school to achieve greatness because you have a fraction of the student population who sole purpose is to disrupt the learning process because they have no desire to learn. Every rule that principals tried to enforce is met with great resistance despite the fact it is in the student handbook. It is a disgrace to see parents who feel it okay for their childern to disrupts others from learning.

Posted January 10, 2006

This is my daughters second year at the Jr. high and I must agree that some of the students behaviors are sad however, as far as the staff goes, I have had no problems at all. When I visit the school, they are there in their classes, provided me with the information I need and maintained professionalism and this includes the principal. Teachers have responded to my emails concerning my childs progress etc. I am very pleased with the progress that they are making toward moving our students academically. I stand right beside Dr. Lewis in what he is trying to do for this district as a whole and it is going to take time and patience.

Posted September 22, 2005

I am considering transfering my child to this school, I do not have any information.

Posted August 20, 2005

I am delighted that this forum exists to share experiences and concerns. I relocated from the west coast and I have been greatly disappointed with the unprofessionalism of staff within the LISD Administrative Department as well as the previous principal of the junior high school. I have communicated with the principal and several instructors and I was disheartened by their lack of knowledge or willingess to share information on basic procedures. Most importantly, the childish gestures displayed (i.e., rolling of the eyes, smacking lips or body posture)while speaking with them. The discipline system is a joke. Should the on-site officer (who tries to intimidate parents), issue citations to the 'professional staff'? My property taxes are too high to accept such unprofessionalism.

Posted August 20, 2005

I feel like crying on a constant basis because I have subjected my children to this so called 'academic program.' I have a 1st grader, 4th grader, a 8th grader, and one who attended the high school. And although I feel the whole district could use a all new administrative staff the Junior High School has been the worst in every conceivable way. The children are unruly and disrespectful. Which is ironic because the main focus of the district seems to be 'disipline,' no matter what the Superintendent proclaims. Some of this may stem from home but a larger part can obviously be contributed to a lack of instruction from some of the unprofessional teachers. This would make sense because the principal seems be totally incompetent. Also, I can count on both my hands how many times my child has had homework from last year till now. Sad for our children.

Posted August 6, 2005

My child attended this school for the last two years. I was very disappointed in the school staff. The teachers absenteeism was just as high as the students. There was little to no homework assigned to my child. I spoke with the assistant principle on several occasions and found him to be very unprofessional. The discipline of the students seemed almost non-existent. My overall view of the school is very poor. My child will not be attending LISD every again. I am willing to sacrifice and pay for private school to help ensure her a proper education.

Posted April 23, 2005

My son is a Eighth grader,AP student. The overall staff is very unprofessional. The principal isn't involved in the day to day running of the school. There are the good teachers and there's the teachers that are just there to make a paycheck. The extracurricular activies includes band, dance, ROTC, Football, basketball, and track. I'm a regular visitor at my son's school.

Posted May 22, 2004

Lancaster Junior High is a wonderful school for parents to consider a place where their kids can get an education I know for a fact cause I'm currently a student who loves the education that has been taught to me and the other students also. The school has wonderful teachers, Principals, and staff. Our school is safe, clean, and knowledgeable. No parent can talk about this school until they have sat down in the classroom , walked the halls or even helped out and I'm not talking about sending some brownies with there kids. I'm talking about those who participate in school programs and PTA meetings those are the one's who can say something negative about the school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 18, 2004

Lancaster Junior High is the worst school that I have ever encountered. The Principal and administrative staff are constantly changing, even during the school year, and are very unsupportive of the students and the teachers. The retention rate of teachers is very low and interferes with student learning ability. I believe this is a direct result of the administration and its lack of leadership and control over the school. The discipline is outrageous and the students are so disruptive in class that it is impossible for children to achieve a good education. There are numerous safety issues as well. I believe this school needs to be investigated to evaluate its adherence to policy rules and effectiveness. I would never recommend sending your child to this school district.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

372 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

369 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

369 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

347 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

347 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

350 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

351 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students81%

Limited English proficient (LEP)100%
Proficient in English98%
Non-migrant98%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

449 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

446 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

447 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

397 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

335 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

394 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

396 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

All Students75%

U.S. History

World Geography

World History

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Unacceptable".

Asian or Pacific Islander N/A 4%

• Block scheduling
Fax number
  • (972) 218-1677

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

School culture