No rating

Berne Academy

Private | PK-8 | 31 students

Living in Lancaster

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $90,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $980.

Posted September 16, 2014

Berne Private school offers a good learning environment, school clubs, art and great teachers. The curriculm is grade level based, which you won't find in public schools. With that being said, your child will not be pressured into learning lessons they have not been prepared for.

Posted November 7, 2013

I am a longtime parent of a student that attends Berne Academy...In my opinion this school is to be congratulated on their excellent leadership and quality of education...I have seen vast improvements in not only my daughter, but other students as well. Yes the classes have multi grade levels. However, thist type of teaching improves the multi-level of understanding of the curriculum that is being taught at this school. The students are challenged and promoted to higher education each year to each grade at this school. I have no concerns with the teachers. I feel that they highly qualified to do their job...I would recommend this school to anyone looking for an enviroment of quality teaching you will not get in public school.

Posted November 6, 2013

My daughter has been going to Berne Academy since Pk, She has just went in to the 5th grade. had to move and put her in a public school, And found out they had to put her back in 4th grade because she is not up to Texas Standards. I never knew this cause her report cards were always A. I was so upset that all the money I put out thinking she was getting a good Education was all a lie. To me this school is money hungry and has sub pare teachers. This has hurt my daughter.I would not recommend this school if you want your child to get a good Education, I think someone need to find out what is going on at this school. And another thing each teacher is at least teaching 3 grades in one class that should tell you something. I hope this School gets turned in.

Posted June 2, 2011

My son attended this school for just under two years. This is the worse school I have ever dealt with. Throughout his time at Berne, he was being bullied, picked on and teased. The staff "pretended" to be doing something about it, but I later found out that was not true. When he began to act out because of it, he was always blamed for the incident and most of the time the only student to be punished. I never understood how he could be an "A/B" student, when he was always being kicked out of the classroom. Now I know! When my son left, he was unable to look a word up in the dictionary on his own. A 4th grader, who could not use a dictionary! I was constantly in contact with his "teacher" and the principal and believe wholeheartedly, I was being misled about my son's education. I would NEVER recommend this school to any parent. If your child is attending this so-called Christian academy, you'd better have him/her tested for aptitude. You might be surprised at what it reveals to you. My son is now being homeschooled - a 360 degree change in his eagerness to learn, his knowledge base and his enthusiasm. It's very challenging, but he is really learning now!

Posted January 7, 2011

I have 2 kids that attend this school 8th grade and 11th this is there 3rd year at the school and I think it's worth every penny.....LOVE IT!

Posted September 11, 2009

Five star the christian atmosphere prayer in school amen

Posted March 13, 2009

this school rockz my socks!!!!!!!!! im a junior......and my life had a major turn around once i hit Berne......! from a troubled adolescent........to a well-qualified teen, who knows no other way to go but smart! ayyyeeeeeeee (haha) no but seriously i love Berne and all the teachers.........from the office secretary to the lunch lady........this school changed me, and i wouldn't have it any other way!!!!!!!! -high school volleyball girl (captain!)- thanks Berne.......Love you all!
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 29, 2008

My son is a studnet, I recommend this school to every parent. We love the shcool, enviroment, teachers, and staff. My only regret is waiting until his high school year to enroll him.

Posted August 7, 2007

My son has attended Berne for one year now. My husband believe this is was the best decision we made. The teachers are caring and supportive of all the children. This school provides excellent teaching along with a strong christian qualities.

Posted June 28, 2007

Our daughter attended this school for 8 years. The experience was wonderful for her. When we had to place her in public school, her skills were far beyond what they were teaching thanks to her years at Berne. The teachers & staff openly welcome parental involvement on field trips, in the classroom, on the playground, at sporting events, etc.. While other schools seem to want the parents to stay out, Berne always welcomed us in. The school has a family enviornment. Teachers are open to trying different teaching styles to fit each student's learning style. In our experience, they were also very caring. I would recommend this school to anybody who wants their child to learn in a safe, caring environment.

Posted May 26, 2007

My daughter has been attending this school for 6 years. She loves it here. The academic program is top quality. The extra curricular activities are outstanding. The level of parent involvement is way above average. Teachers care about their students and parents. Well established stable, Christian evironment. I love the smaller ratio of children per grade/per classroom. The teacher is able to give one on one special attention. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted April 12, 2006

I am very happy with the over academic quality of Berne Academy and it's great teacher to student ratio. I also like the fact that the grades are combined to allow tutoring by older students, with the old one room school feeling. I do wish there were more extracruuicular activies available.

Posted September 6, 2005

As a grandparent with two grandchildren enrolled at Berne Academy, I am very pleased with the quality of instruction, as well as the all-important focus on spiritual growth that the children are given on a daily basis. The individual lessons, challenges for their academic acheivement levels, and continueal monitoring of their progress is rare in this age of overcrowding and resulting lack of one-on-one instruction in so many schools. Berne has provided an excellent education in a solid Christian environment. Classes are fun, challenging, well-maintained and orderly. The teachers show their dedication and professionalism, helping each student acheive to the best of his ability.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 29, 2005

This school has shown care and concern for individual students that we haven't found elsewhere. Teachers are very willing to help whenever help is needed and each child gets a lot of time alone with the teacher or tutor when they don't understand the lessons.

Posted August 26, 2005

Wonderful school...the principal and teachers are the greatest!

Posted August 26, 2005

This school is small and closeknit. Students receive a lot of clsoe personal instruction and get help whenever needed. The brighter kids are kept busy with more difficult levels of work. Open doors make parents feel welcome.

Posted November 11, 2004

Very small classes. The teachers are few and at times a non qualified staff member will teach. Because of the small 'family' type environment, some staff members will speak inappropriately to the children and often times give the children personal opinions on what they think about the child. 'Christian' is not the environment of the school often times you can hear the children using profanity screaming at the teachers. This school is more of a alternative type school.

Asian or Pacific Islander 0% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Korean
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • 3rd Place In Art & Academic Competion in San Antonio (2008)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Theresa Smith
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (972) 218-7372

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Supports home-based learning
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Uniforms
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1311 Johns Avenue