1,598 students|Life School

Bad
Good

My daughter attends Life School at the Oak Cliff campus, she started in third grade and just finished seventh grade. The academic standards are too low to prepare our children to be leaders. The children receive homework in one subject when they do have homework. If my child has math homework, then she won't have English homework, and there's generally no homework on the weekend. This is supposed to help the students perform better in their subjects but it's not rigorous enough to prepare them for a sound H.S. education, and it doesn't arm them with skills necessary to excel in higher education. Also, Life School Oak Cliff has a high promotion rate because children move to the next grade no matter how poorly they perform in class and the Staar exams. My daughter was never taught how to write cursive and doesn't know how to effectively take notes because 99% of the written lesson is given as handouts, and only one teacher checks their notebooks for neatness and organization. This school came highly recommended to me and I support their mission to nuture students into self-disciplined, responsible citizens that excel academically. However, I'm not confident that these noble principles will be realized when there's been at least three principals in five years. My daughter had a science teacher that couldn't teach her class because the children wouldn't behave and in his exasperation he called them "turds". This same teacher was moved to another class mid semester and replaced by another science teacher who shortly announced that she was leaving to be a stay-at-home mother because her students " get on her nerves" --- and she left before the term was up, and no one taught science for weeks and the children watched movies. This charter school may be better than many DISD schools but it's severely handicapped due to lack of commitment by leadership.

My child is not challenged enough. There were so many behavioral issues from other children that it overshadowed the learning experience. Also the teaching staff could use improvement and training. There should be an advanced curriculum challenging student and teachers that actually enjoy teaching.

5 years ago, this was the place to be! The last two years, new principle and ALL of the great teachers relocated. I have three children that attend and sit up with my kids until 10-11 at night doing homework. I am literally RETEACHING my children their daily lessons night after night and day after day. My children have never brought home Fs. I cant do this, the teachers dont return my requests for phone calls when i sign their planners, tutoring is by "invite" only (seriously)!They expect them to read daily but there is barely time to eat after hours of sitting and RE-TEACHING them their lessons. This school is great if you're a housewife with one child and always considered homeschooling when you're child leaves their dayschool. I feel terrible for the single parents with jobs who cant afford to become a classroom teacher in the evenings

MUY MAL...la escuela no le da a los maestros los materiales qu necesitan para ense ar como por ejemplo sus gu as de maestros , no les dan papel para imprimir por lloconsiguiente no les mandan tarea a casa.. Aunque los ni os est n mal en sus grados y no sepan nada les ponen calificaciones buenas ...porfavor pi nselo dos veces NO PONGAS AQU A TU HIJOS....definitivamente no la recomiendo .....hay maestros muy buenos haciendo su mayor esfuerzo pero la qu no sirve es el sistema de la escuela..

MY SCHOOL IS LIFE SCHOOL OAK CLIFF MY GRANDSON ATTENDS HE HAS BEEN THERE SINCE KINDERGARTEN AND HE IS NOW IN THE FOURTH GRADE. I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE TALLY SYSTEM THAT THE SCHOOL HAVE IT IS NOT THE CONTROL OF THE STUDENT. THERE IS TEACHERS THAT LOVES WRITING TALLIES AND ONLY GIVE THEM TO CERTAIN STUDENTS. I WAS SITTING IN A CLASSROOM FOR OBSERVATION AND A STUDENT WHO PARENT IS A TEACHER WAS WARNED SEVERAL TIMES BUT WAS NOT GIVEN A TALLY OR WRITE NAME IN A TABLET FOR A TABLET. I ALSO NOTICE SOME OTHER THINGS THAT I DID NOT LIKE.

The staff at this school are crazy. The staff would not allow me to pick up my five year old son early from school, for a scheduled MRI, because it was against the school policy for students to leave early. My son's MRI was scheduled for 3:15 and the staff would not release him 15 minutes early so he could make it to his appointment on time. That is totally unaccecptable for a parent to be denied access to their child. I spoke to one of the staff via phone and explained the situation and she told me that she could not let him leave early because she would have 800 parents lined up trying to pick up their kids early from school. At the same time that i was on the phone several parents were in the office withdrawing their children from the school. I too will be removing my kids from this school first thing tomorrow morning. If you want to be treated like this than you go ahead and take your kids to Life School the Oak Cliff Campus. This is school is definately not for me!

This term I found that the teacher and Dean of Discipline didn't have a handle on serious discipline issues. For instance, my daughter was being bullied by three girls. I made the teacher aware. It occurred again, and this time my daughter was slapped in the face! The teacher told the girl to apologize and that was the end of it! No parents were called no one asked my daughter how she felt, no punishment, nothing. I went to the Dean of Discipline who assured me that she'd take care of it. There was no suspension and the bullying started up again a couple of months later. On another occasion, I spoke to an Assistant Principle about one of my daughter's teachers being unresponsive to my notes in her planner, over a period of several weeks. The Assistant Principle took notes and my contact information reassuring me that she'd look into the matter and follow up with me. She never contacted me, and I heard nothing else about the matter. I'm am doubtful that my five year old son will be safe there, and I'm currently searching for another school.

When my kids first inrolled in Life School 13 years ago, I was very impressed with the school. However, over the years, it has fallen into disgrace. They have allowed previously fired teachers and principles to return in academic positions. They have dismissed teachers that cared about the well being of the children just because they did not "fit" into the strict discipline that they try to enforce. They is a line between discipline and destruction of a child's well being. I am very sad that this school that started out with a great idea has fallen so far.

Life School has an excessive tally system. The teachers are not consistent with homework or newsletters. Also, the school's technology and library is outdated. The front desk person is generally rude and the teaching staff lacks diversity.

Life School isnt a good choice for your children. I've been attending Life School for 3 years now. The first year was great, but i started to realize Life School cared about the Tally/Dresscode system more then the students education. Its not that the students are rude and disrepectful, we just think that we are to old to be getting tallies/dresscodes in highschool, and majority of our teachers now are substitutes. The only thing that is keeping me at Life School is the sports, cause Life School is all about sports! -Student of Life School-

Last modified Life School Oak Cliff is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.