United South High School

Public | 9-12 | 3059 students

Posted September 25, 2011

Used to teach here. Classes are devoted to passing the Texas state tests. Little academic preparation beyond that. Some students go to UT and A&M due to Texas' top 10% law, yet few few survive. A minuscule minority go to prestigious schools thanks to affirmative action and similar programs, largely because non-Laredoan/TAMIU teachers push them and write rec. letters. Counselors do a terrible job, have no knowledge of college admissions standards, ask for rec. letters the day before they are due,etc... The students successful at gaining admittance to real colleges use the counselor at the local private school due to UISD's limited ability.

Posted March 31, 2010

As a teacher on this campus, I can attest to the fact that our faculty works for goals of excellence that include long hours of planning and tutoring and trying. The teachers are dedicated and able to make the changes for more successes. We need more parental involvement and a way to bring parents into the support of academics , but it is difficult when most of our population is the first to graduate high school and certaintly the first to go to college. We do, however, have a very effective college prep program that is getting more students to college and universities beyond our most hopeful dreams.

Posted April 19, 2009

School culture is positive. Very hard working administrative team, most teachers are veterans, some first year but limited. Counseling staff promotes AP program, pursues college admissions and scholarship applications vigorously. Special Education department is extremely proactive. Students are well behaved and community service oriented. School receives many compliments on their behavior when they travel, attend conferences or competitions. Drugs and violence are not rampant, however there is a strict zero tolerance policy and administrators do not turn a blind eye. Those students who break the rules will receive just consequences. Many extra curricular activities available.

Posted January 28, 2009

United South High School provided my child with the best possible fundimentals possible- He graduated as a AP- DAP graduate and left with many accomplishments thanks to the staff at United South- My son now attends Brown University and is doing wonderful in which he thanks most of his teachers for the preperation. If you see alot of great dissmisal of this high school- Do Not pay attention- Visit the school first hand= Most comments are from people in the city who just go by 'reputation'. Times have changed just as people and staff.

Posted October 11, 2008

Lots of crime, dismal academics,many inexperienced teachers, administration bullies the teachers and is constantly dealing with problem students

Posted January 27, 2007

Well all I have to say is that I know students from this high school who are at or got into Harvard, Georgetown, Brown, UT, Stanford, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, USC, UCLA, UofH, Princeton, and more of those prestigious schools. So don't be turned off by the bad ratings you see on this page. This high school has a great staff and administration; if the school kids are bad and their scores as well then it's the parents' and the kid's faults. They're the ones who don't pay attention or put in any effort into doing anything. Let me tell you that those who do they make it big.

Posted September 30, 2005

I'm a former student, I believe that United South High School is a great school. I now appreaciate all the help my teachers gave me. If it wasn't for them I would have not been prepared for Texas A&M University.

Posted March 31, 2005

When I moved to Texas, USHS was the first school I attended. It was very disappointing that this school could not provide textbooks to students due to tax money problems! I couldn't understand/believe why we didn't have textbooks. Another issue were advisors, she couldn't 'advise' me with college choices. I had to figure everything on my own without any guidance what so ever. Oh can't forget the drug issues...too much drug trafficing in this school (teachers knew who they were) but then again its a border town.

Posted March 12, 2005

This school has problems. State test scores are abysmal, as are SAT scores. No books are given to students unless parents specifically request them (most don't).

Posted March 6, 2005

I wonder about this school. Children are not given textbooks to take home, and never have homework. Some classes are conducted in Spanish. How can they learn English better this way? The school has had armed sherriff's deputies in the halls at the end of the semester to prevent gang fights. One day there were kids with baseball bats at the front gate at the end of the school day, and there are always police there.

Posted March 2, 2005

Not a great school. Unlike every other school I've heard of or experienced, students aren't provided with books to take home unless parents specifically request one. Consequently very little homework is given, with predicatble results when students get to college. Lots of pregnancy, gang activity, drugs. New principals every year or two. Almost all teachers are locals and graduates of less-than-distinguished local college,so little intellectual diversity.

Posted December 15, 2004

As a former student of USHS I have no complaints. I am very proud to have graduated from this school and am happy to say that they did prepare me for what I am now, a teacher. It disappoints me to hear about all the negative things from parents and other students from this school. As a teacher now I realize that education does start at home. Parents if you think the school needs improvement then it does, but do something about it. Be a parent volunteer and get involved with your student and their school. Remember that it takes a community to raise a child. One person can't make a difference, but everyone together can. And about the gangs, drugs, and everything else let me tell you it's everywhere. We can't runaway from it, but we do need to face the reality of it. Go Panthers!

Posted December 9, 2004

Iam proud to say that I go to this school were I successed in all my subjects.

Posted October 24, 2004

I recently graduated at the top of my class from this school. I attended the magnet program and, at the time, thought I was getting a decent education. Now, I'm at UT, and find that everyone else had trig at their high school, and it wasn't even an option at USHS. My UT classmates had a number of science and math classes in HS that I would have jumped at if they were only offered. I had one or two decent teachers, but they weren't from Laredo, and now they are gone. Also, none of my classmates passed a single AP test outside of spanish. I can only hope that my kids go somwhere better than USHS.

Posted October 20, 2004

I have worked at this school, other schools, and currently teach in the education department of a northeastern state university. My fellow faculty members here are aghast at the student academic performance, the emphasis on state tests at the expense of college preparation, and adminstration/teacher turnover, as well as the acceptance of student behavior that all too often crosses the line into criminality. Add this to the rates of drug use (often on campus), gang membership, pregnancy, and the real 'noncompletion' (read droput) rate, and one sees how the school loves to play up the very few that go onto elite colleges. I have taught some of these children, and they are not the norm. There are some fine, dedicated faculty at this school, but the administration uses the economic status of the students as an excuse for general academic achievement that is sub-mediocre.

Posted October 19, 2004

I am a proud parent of a junior at this school. I can honestly say this a great school and has recently been under great control. My daughter has been doing excellent and is at the top of her class. I get very distracted when other parents say it is an awful school and critic the administration. Lately, I can say they have been doing a spectacular job. They want the best for the students. They have been pursuing the best for the student s sake. The offer tutorials and extra learning programs aside of class. They really work hard to help our children learn. The school also has a great sports program. With this, the students want to do even better in class so they can be able to be a part of their sport.

Posted October 5, 2004

I am not a parent but a student of this high school. I have read the comments posted on this website and yes during the past two years things have been a little chaotic around our campus, but now we have a great staff and an even greater principal. As a student from United South I can tell you that this school not only prepared me for college but also for the future. I am now applying to Harvard, UCLA, and UT. Just to name a few. I know what you must think, I have to grade this school high only because I belong to it, but trust me I don't have to. I love this school and I know I will come back to thank all the administration for their excellent support and help.

Posted September 29, 2004

Our school is really progressing. Our principle and staff are doing their best to keep us away from gang-related or any fights around campus. We also don't have any dances or movies during class to distract us so us students should also understand that school hours are for learning and not just to have fun.

Posted April 22, 2004

Private schools are awful, they don't let students interact with other people as well. Therefore, I suggest that the parent which just appointed that United South High School was an awful place for studying, I would say to keep his/her words to themselves, since as a personal parent of a student from United South, I can definitely say that my child, a senior, is an excellent student who is now prepared to leave Laredo to go to one of the best universities in the United States and it is all thanks to the scholarships that she received. So, with all respect I encourage you to watch carefully how our school is advancing.

Posted April 15, 2004

Awful place for education. Even AP students have low SAT scores(600-800). Lots of crime on and off campus. New principals every couple of years. Most of the decent teachers leave after a couple of years. Much of the class time is wasted on dances, pep rallies, TAAS/TAKS testing, movies, etc. Dropout claims are wildly off the mark. The census states that less than half of this zip code has a HS diploma, yet USHS says that over %95 graduate. Faced with this choice, my child is going to a private high school.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

695 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

696 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

629 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

619 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

620 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

614 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

625 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

All Students94%

Economically disadvantaged96%
Special education72%
Limited English proficient (LEP)77%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

505 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

602 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

441 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

635 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

684 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

407 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

474 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

349 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

659 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

451 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 5%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Fax number
  • (956) 473-5599

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options