Laredo, TX
Students enrolled: 3,059

Posted September 25, 2011
Used to teach here. Classes are devoted to passing the Texas state tests. Little academic preparation beyond that. Some students go to UT and A&M due to Texas' top 10% law, yet few few survive. A minuscule minority go to prestigious schools thanks to affirmative action and similar programs, largely because non-Laredoan/TAMIU teachers push them and write rec. letters. Counselors do a terrible job, have no knowledge of college admissions standards, ask for rec. letters the day before they are due,etc... The students successful at gaining admittance to real colleges use the counselor at the local private school due to UISD's limited ability.

Posted March 31, 2010
As a teacher on this campus, I can attest to the fact that our faculty works for goals of excellence that include long hours of planning and tutoring and trying. The teachers are dedicated and able to make the changes for more successes. We need more parental involvement and a way to bring parents into the support of academics , but it is difficult when most of our population is the first to graduate high school and certaintly the first to go to college. We do, however, have a very effective college prep program that is getting more students to college and universities beyond our most hopeful dreams.

United South High School 4

Posted April 19, 2009
School culture is positive. Very hard working administrative team, most teachers are veterans, some first year but limited. Counseling staff promotes AP program, pursues college admissions and scholarship applications vigorously. Special Education department is extremely proactive. Students are well behaved and community service oriented. School receives many compliments on their behavior when they travel, attend conferences or competitions. Drugs and violence are not rampant, however there is a strict zero tolerance policy and administrators do not turn a blind eye. Those students who break the rules will receive just consequences. Many extra curricular activities available.

Posted January 28, 2009
United South High School provided my child with the best possible fundimentals possible- He graduated as a AP- DAP graduate and left with many accomplishments thanks to the staff at United South- My son now attends Brown University and is doing wonderful in which he thanks most of his teachers for the preperation. If you see alot of great dissmisal of this high school- Do Not pay attention- Visit the school first hand= Most comments are from people in the city who just go by 'reputation'. Times have changed just as people and staff.

Posted October 11, 2008
Lots of crime, dismal academics,many inexperienced teachers, administration bullies the teachers and is constantly dealing with problem students

United South High School 5

Posted January 27, 2007
Well all I have to say is that I know students from this high school who are at or got into Harvard, Georgetown, Brown, UT, Stanford, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, USC, UCLA, UofH, Princeton, and more of those prestigious schools. So don't be turned off by the bad ratings you see on this page. This high school has a great staff and administration; if the school kids are bad and their scores as well then it's the parents' and the kid's faults. They're the ones who don't pay attention or put in any effort into doing anything. Let me tell you that those who do they make it big.

United South High School 4

Posted September 30, 2005
I'm a former student, I believe that United South High School is a great school. I now appreaciate all the help my teachers gave me. If it wasn't for them I would have not been prepared for Texas A&M University.

Posted March 31, 2005
When I moved to Texas, USHS was the first school I attended. It was very disappointing that this school could not provide textbooks to students due to tax money problems! I couldn't understand/believe why we didn't have textbooks. Another issue were advisors, she couldn't 'advise' me with college choices. I had to figure everything on my own without any guidance what so ever. Oh can't forget the drug issues...too much drug trafficing in this school (teachers knew who they were) but then again its a border town.

Posted March 12, 2005
This school has problems. State test scores are abysmal, as are SAT scores. No books are given to students unless parents specifically request them (most don't).

Posted March 06, 2005
I wonder about this school. Children are not given textbooks to take home, and never have homework. Some classes are conducted in Spanish. How can they learn English better this way? The school has had armed sherriff's deputies in the halls at the end of the semester to prevent gang fights. One day there were kids with baseball bats at the front gate at the end of the school day, and there are always police there.

4001 Ave Los Presidentes, Laredo, TX  78046
Last modified United South High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
United South High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top