PK-6|Private

Bad
Good

South Shore Montessori is the best decisions we could have made for our eight month old son. We did extensive research of daycare a and private schools in the area, and South Shore Montessori was head and shoulders above the rest. We were initially planning to wait until our son was a little older to enroll him, but we are SO glad we did not wait. His teacher is warm, nurturing, and has years of experience. She is also well trained on the developmental milestones her children are embarking on and facilitates their learning and work each day. When I drop my child off, I know he is nurtured and appropriately stimulated. That kind of peace of mind is not found everywhere. As well, the culture of the school is very collaborative. Teachers and parents work together to ensure the child's needs are being met. SSM worked very diligently to ensure my sons nap schedule was met, even though it differed from the other children's. My son is younger than the other students in his class, and has different needs than all the other students--but the staff and teachers respected his needs and my input, and ensured those needs were met. Other day cares or private schools I have toured are much more focused on what is easiest to manage, not necessarily what is best for the student/child--which means the group needs often trump the individual needs. I am delighted that this is not the case at SSM. I am thrilled I have found a school (not a daycare) that my child can attend from infancy to kindergarten which will meet his changing social and educational needs. I would highly recommend SSM to anyone looking for a nurturing environment, quality care, and an excellent education for their child.

I am a parent of two children whom attend SSM. I have a 1 year old and a 4 year old and could not be more happy with the decision my husband and I made in placing them at this school. My husband and I value education and character greatly. Both of my children not only are receiving a top notch education and building integrity, honesty and responsibility daily, but they are also learning to be independent, creative, self-sufficient, positive, happy people. My oldest is definitely on the "high energy" side. The Montessori method allows his brain to truly delve into the concepts he is learning at a pace that allows him to retain and be successful. I love hearing my son at the age of 3 correct me when I called a ball a circle, in which he replied, "no mom, it's a sphere." I love when my husband was talking to him about cocoons and he helps to teach us that it is also called a "chrysalis." He could also tell you anything you would want to know about from metamorphosis & photosynthesis to Van Gogh art work to Tchaikovsky's music to the purpose of Diwali and Chinese New Year. Within the four walls of the classroom, I have witnessed more love and compassion for my children than I could ever ask for. The nurturing environment is what gets my children excited about waking up every morning before going to school. I love that both my youngest and oldest feel safe and I know that they are safe every day when I drop them off. If you are reading this review in search of a possible child care facility, please know that I am writing this wholeheartedly. As an educator for 13 years, choosing a daycare for my family was one of the most difficult and emotional journeys. As they are for most of us, my children are my world and I want the absolute best for them. I am confident in the decision my husband AND I made in placing them at SSM. I drive 30 minutes every morning to have them attend this school and would not change it for the world.

When my oldest daughter was 3, she and I spent a couple of days "touring" different day cares. I was put off by all of them until we came upon South Shore Montessori in League City. SSM is an amazing place for children to learn - not only reading, writing, science, math, etc. but manners and how to get along with others at a young age. We eventually sent all three of our kids to SSM for their pre-school-1st grade education. My kids weren't perfect but with the guidance of the director and her wonderful Montessori trained staff, they all thrived in the SSM environment. When they eventually went to public school, they were more than prepared with the skills they brought from SSM. My husband and I agree that SSM is probably the best thing we ever did for our kids and would recommend them to anyone anytime.

The director was cold and condescending. The staff was not very good at communicating. Neither the director nor the staff seemed to care about giving information or answering questions about their policies. Parents are not encouraged to participate or even visit or observe. My son attended this school for a year in pre-K, and was constantly separated from the other children in a table in the back of the room because he was not in a constant state of quiet stillness, as they expected him to be at 4-5 years of age. The teacher's solution for his inability to remain quiet and focused the entire day, was to suggest that I have him analyzed by a psychologist. I pre-paid for the year, so I did not have problems with decisions to expel my son. However, the experience made me wish I hadn't paid at all. My son left this school with a very low self esteem. They make it seem as though your child is receiving a high-class education, but underneath is only arrogance and damaging judgement, without the foundation of culture or intellect. Ignorant people putting their noses up in the air, does not a good school make.

Communication between school leadership and parents needs drastic improvement. Very average school with average educational results. Would not recommend to any parent expecting top level education or any parent with a child that needs extra attention or has special needs.

This is an amazing school with wonderful teachers. Both my children have gone to SSM since they were infants. My children are allowed to explore, grow, be creative and develop at their pace and become their own person. The teachers are kind, compassionate, knowledge, and truly care about their students' success. I'm amazed at the "work" my children do - learning the foundations of math and science, understanding empathy and compassion, feeling empowered, and expressing creativity. Montessori may not be for everyone/every child. Parents have to understand the Montessori language to appreciate what the teachers/students are accomplishing. Some parents find it hard NOT micromanaging and confuse this with lack of communication/expectations. With 2 kids and almost five years at SSM, I have never seen or heard of a teacher or director acting inappropriately or making a decision not in the best interest of the student and/or other students. I greatly recommend SSM to anyone looking to put their child in a safe, nurturing and learning environment.

I wrote a review of this school in October of 2013. It is somehow missing from this site now - ? So I'll post my opinion again... My son was quickly & coldly kicked out of this school, in the same manner it seems as several other reviewers. He was 3 years old & attended for two months. We had one parent teacher conference where they indicated that his attention span wasn't where they needed it to be. They expect 3 year olds to sit & work quietly by themselves for 15-20 minutes at a time. Well, newsflash: not all 3 year olds are capable of that! Two weeks later came a second meeting where we were told (cold as ice) that he would only be allowed to attend the school until the end of the month - 5 whole days! I was crying & so distraught, these women having convinced me that there was something wrong with my son. My husband saw right through them though & was happy to send him elsewhere. And here we are, a year later, our son is thriving and has had excellent behavoir reports at his new preschool for 12 months now. In conclusion, if a school only gets rated 5 stars or 1 star & nothing in between, you might wonder if there's a weird situation going on there.

I tried several other daycares in the area and my other older child attends public school. The difference in education and care for the children are great when compared. My son has attended since he was 2 yrs old and is now in 2nd grade. The Director and the teachers have been partners in raising my child to be a compassionate, organized, and curious student. My son loves his teachers and friends. He's excited to go to school and to work on his next goal. His teachers focus on learning about the child and tailor their instruction to meet his style of learning in a very nurturing and caring way. I always recommend the school to my friends and colleagues in the area.

SSM is a complete joke. They came highly recommended from a trusted source but as mentioned in previous comments, their administration is very cold, and their communication is beyond lackluster. With zero communication nor even a single attempt to set forth a plan to positively remedy some negative behavior from my child, his primary teacher and the director made the decision that my child was no longer allowed at their school on his 5th day attending the school. When discussing this decision face to face, both the teacher and director spoke in a persnickety tone. There were several inaccuracies in the details given that led to this abrubt decision. They also informed us that 3 days prior to the decision that my child injured himself but for some reason did not tell either parent nor fill out an incident report as they should have. Our initial shock in being blindsided with the news has quickly become relief. It was a blessing in disguise to get my child out of SSM as soon as he did as their staff is clearly not capable of teaching, nurturing, and being a positive influence on the development of my child. Recommendation: stay far, far away from SSM.

This is a small, but outstanding Montessori school. It closely follows Montessori teachings and allows a more tailored education for your child. The curriculum covers all areas. There's art, music, cultural and practical life units. Most lessons are hands on and taught in smaller groups, all while instilling a real sense of independence and accountability. The staff is very knowledgeable and caring. The director has over 25 years experience. The classroom teachers are Montessori trained and take supplemental training yearly. The small size and the fact that many of the kids go through the grades together, really give it a sense of community. All the staff will know your child by name. It is an excellent private school for all students but the personal attention really sets it apart. I would highly recommend it.

Last modified South Shore Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-6