League City, TX

South Shore Montessori School 2

Posted December 22, 2014
Communication between school leadership and parents needs drastic improvement. Very average school with average educational results. Would not recommend to any parent expecting top level education or any parent with a child that needs extra attention or has special needs.

Posted October 22, 2014
This is an amazing school with wonderful teachers. Both my children have gone to SSM since they were infants. My children are allowed to explore, grow, be creative and develop at their pace and become their own person. The teachers are kind, compassionate, knowledge, and truly care about their students' success. I'm amazed at the "work" my children do - learning the foundations of math and science, understanding empathy and compassion, feeling empowered, and expressing creativity. Montessori may not be for everyone/every child. Parents have to understand the Montessori language to appreciate what the teachers/students are accomplishing. Some parents find it hard NOT micromanaging and confuse this with lack of communication/expectations. With 2 kids and almost five years at SSM, I have never seen or heard of a teacher or director acting inappropriately or making a decision not in the best interest of the student and/or other students. I greatly recommend SSM to anyone looking to put their child in a safe, nurturing and learning environment.

South Shore Montessori School 1

Posted September 24, 2014
I wrote a review of this school in October of 2013. It is somehow missing from this site now - ? So I'll post my opinion again... My son was quickly & coldly kicked out of this school, in the same manner it seems as several other reviewers. He was 3 years old & attended for two months. We had one parent teacher conference where they indicated that his attention span wasn't where they needed it to be. They expect 3 year olds to sit & work quietly by themselves for 15-20 minutes at a time. Well, newsflash: not all 3 year olds are capable of that! Two weeks later came a second meeting where we were told (cold as ice) that he would only be allowed to attend the school until the end of the month - 5 whole days! I was crying & so distraught, these women having convinced me that there was something wrong with my son. My husband saw right through them though & was happy to send him elsewhere. And here we are, a year later, our son is thriving and has had excellent behavoir reports at his new preschool for 12 months now. In conclusion, if a school only gets rated 5 stars or 1 star & nothing in between, you might wonder if there's a weird situation going on there.

Posted September 24, 2014
I tried several other daycares in the area and my other older child attends public school. The difference in education and care for the children are great when compared. My son has attended since he was 2 yrs old and is now in 2nd grade. The Director and the teachers have been partners in raising my child to be a compassionate, organized, and curious student. My son loves his teachers and friends. He's excited to go to school and to work on his next goal. His teachers focus on learning about the child and tailor their instruction to meet his style of learning in a very nurturing and caring way. I always recommend the school to my friends and colleagues in the area.

South Shore Montessori School 1

Posted August 23, 2014
SSM is a complete joke. They came highly recommended from a trusted source but as mentioned in previous comments, their administration is very cold, and their communication is beyond lackluster. With zero communication nor even a single attempt to set forth a plan to positively remedy some negative behavior from my child, his primary teacher and the director made the decision that my child was no longer allowed at their school on his 5th day attending the school. When discussing this decision face to face, both the teacher and director spoke in a persnickety tone. There were several inaccuracies in the details given that led to this abrubt decision. They also informed us that 3 days prior to the decision that my child injured himself but for some reason did not tell either parent nor fill out an incident report as they should have. Our initial shock in being blindsided with the news has quickly become relief. It was a blessing in disguise to get my child out of SSM as soon as he did as their staff is clearly not capable of teaching, nurturing, and being a positive influence on the development of my child. Recommendation: stay far, far away from SSM.

Posted March 17, 2014
This is a small, but outstanding Montessori school. It closely follows Montessori teachings and allows a more tailored education for your child. The curriculum covers all areas. There's art, music, cultural and practical life units. Most lessons are hands on and taught in smaller groups, all while instilling a real sense of independence and accountability. The staff is very knowledgeable and caring. The director has over 25 years experience. The classroom teachers are Montessori trained and take supplemental training yearly. The small size and the fact that many of the kids go through the grades together, really give it a sense of community. All the staff will know your child by name. It is an excellent private school for all students but the personal attention really sets it apart. I would highly recommend it.

Posted January 15, 2014
One of the single best decisions that I have made for my daughter was to enroll her in a Montessori program at age 2. She has flourished under the skilled hands of her Montessori teachers, becoming an accomplished scholar and fine person. She enjoys teaching and giving to others. She is a self-starter. Thanks to her Montessori teaching, in large part at South Shore Montessori, she is strong and well-rounded. She began the Science Magnet this year and continues to shine in my eyes. She misses her teachers and friends at South Shore. She knows that they had a critical part in building the foundation of who she is a student and as a person. She and I will forever be grateful. Her brother continues to attend and loves it.

Posted December 11, 2013
At the time I enrolled my children, experiencing much fear and anxiety about whether they were ready to leave my care at the tender age of 18 mos, the Director/Owner Suzi Howe instilled in me the confidence that they were indeed in good hands and today they still are! South Shore Montessori has provided my children with a solid, high level of academic preparedness that will round out their natural ability and that will lead them to their full potential in life. The teachers and staff are a group of caring, nurturing professionals that are dedicated to seeing each child grow and develop into the leaders of tomorrow. These are the teachers that will go the extra mile for each individual student and then some. South Shore Montessori has a long history of excellence that is reflected in their core values, academics and parent teacher interactions. My son and daughter will take with them a strong sense of community and social responsibility but more importantly a warm sense of family for the rest of their lives.

Posted December 06, 2013
South Shore Montessori is the most amazing way to start your child out in this world. 26 years ago, my daughter attended Kindergarten at South Shore and now her son, who is 3, is enrolled in the school. My daughter is now 31 and is a teacher in CCISD. I attribute her love for learning and life to her beginning education at South Shore. She learned to love learning and to love others. She learned discipline, about the world and how to cooperate socially. When she was having difficulty finding quality care for her son, she called the amazing owner, Suzie Howe, and asked her if there was an opening for his age. Thankfully, there was! Today, her son is learning about the arts, math, science and music....but so much more! He is learning about the world and how to live. Yes, he is only 3, but this is he most critical time for learning. There is order at this school. There is respect and the teachers have a true respect for the students. I cannot tell you all enough about how amazing this school is. Our entire family makes sure that our son/grandson is able to go to South Shore Montessori. His life will be better for it and we are thrilled to have this blessing in our community and life.

Posted December 01, 2013
Our experience with South Shore Montessori dates back to 1996. We were new to the area and needed daycare for our two-year-old daughter. The school was close to home, the staff seemed professional, and, as we toured the facilities, the children in attendance appeared to be well cared for in a clean, safe, and friendly environment. Over the years, it was clear our daughter was right at home in a very special learning environment shaped by a loving, dedicated, and caring staff. Our daughter had the same teachers and almost all the same classmates for ten years. Now a freshman at Stetson University and recipient of a Presidential Scholarship, she will tell you that it was at South Shore Montessori where she learned how to communicate and solve problems; and, that it was at South Shore Montessori where she learned to set goals, work toward achieving them, and help others along the way. We now have a second daughter at South Shore Montessori in the same trusted hands that served our first daughter so well. South Shore Montessori School is an amazing place. The consistency and personal touch of its director, teachers, and staff has made an indelible impression on our entire family.

South Shore Montessori School
201 South Shore Boulevard, League City, TX  77573
Last modified South Shore Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
South Shore Montessori School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top