PK-6|Private

Bad
Good

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

My son has ADHD, OCD and anxiety. They did nothing for him.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

They just want students to sit still and be quiet

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Apparently my child had homework. I was never told. The directors reaponse was that they sent paper work home.

This is a terrible place. My son was expelled with very little warning. They called a few times but never spent more then two minutes on the phone. The director is condisending and will speak down to you. They have restrictions on everything. They want children to sit quietly and do nothing. There are way to many kids in the classrooms and parents are not allowed to go back to the classrooms. The day my son was expelled they said he was pushing other children for no reason. When I questioned him he told me the other kids were stepping on his fingers. I asked why he didn't tell the teacher and his response was, they don't believe me. Save yourself time and get away from this horrible place.

South Shore Montessori is the best decisions we could have made for our eight month old son. We did extensive research of daycare a and private schools in the area, and South Shore Montessori was head and shoulders above the rest. We were initially planning to wait until our son was a little older to enroll him, but we are SO glad we did not wait. His teacher is warm, nurturing, and has years of experience. She is also well trained on the developmental milestones her children are embarking on and facilitates their learning and work each day. When I drop my child off, I know he is nurtured and appropriately stimulated. That kind of peace of mind is not found everywhere. As well, the culture of the school is very collaborative. Teachers and parents work together to ensure the child's needs are being met. SSM worked very diligently to ensure my sons nap schedule was met, even though it differed from the other children's. My son is younger than the other students in his class, and has different needs than all the other students--but the staff and teachers respected his needs and my input, and ensured those needs were met. Other day cares or private schools I have toured are much more focused on what is easiest to manage, not necessarily what is best for the student/child--which means the group needs often trump the individual needs. I am delighted that this is not the case at SSM. I am thrilled I have found a school (not a daycare) that my child can attend from infancy to kindergarten which will meet his changing social and educational needs. I would highly recommend SSM to anyone looking for a nurturing environment, quality care, and an excellent education for their child.

I am a parent of two children whom attend SSM. I have a 1 year old and a 4 year old and could not be more happy with the decision my husband and I made in placing them at this school. My husband and I value education and character greatly. Both of my children not only are receiving a top notch education and building integrity, honesty and responsibility daily, but they are also learning to be independent, creative, self-sufficient, positive, happy people. My oldest is definitely on the "high energy" side. The Montessori method allows his brain to truly delve into the concepts he is learning at a pace that allows him to retain and be successful. I love hearing my son at the age of 3 correct me when I called a ball a circle, in which he replied, "no mom, it's a sphere." I love when my husband was talking to him about cocoons and he helps to teach us that it is also called a "chrysalis." He could also tell you anything you would want to know about from metamorphosis & photosynthesis to Van Gogh art work to Tchaikovsky's music to the purpose of Diwali and Chinese New Year. Within the four walls of the classroom, I have witnessed more love and compassion for my children than I could ever ask for. The nurturing environment is what gets my children excited about waking up every morning before going to school. I love that both my youngest and oldest feel safe and I know that they are safe every day when I drop them off. If you are reading this review in search of a possible child care facility, please know that I am writing this wholeheartedly. As an educator for 13 years, choosing a daycare for my family was one of the most difficult and emotional journeys. As they are for most of us, my children are my world and I want the absolute best for them. I am confident in the decision my husband AND I made in placing them at SSM. I drive 30 minutes every morning to have them attend this school and would not change it for the world.

When my oldest daughter was 3, she and I spent a couple of days "touring" different day cares. I was put off by all of them until we came upon South Shore Montessori in League City. SSM is an amazing place for children to learn - not only reading, writing, science, math, etc. but manners and how to get along with others at a young age. We eventually sent all three of our kids to SSM for their pre-school-1st grade education. My kids weren't perfect but with the guidance of the director and her wonderful Montessori trained staff, they all thrived in the SSM environment. When they eventually went to public school, they were more than prepared with the skills they brought from SSM. My husband and I agree that SSM is probably the best thing we ever did for our kids and would recommend them to anyone anytime.

The director was cold and condescending. The staff was not very good at communicating. Neither the director nor the staff seemed to care about giving information or answering questions about their policies. Parents are not encouraged to participate or even visit or observe. My son attended this school for a year in pre-K, and was constantly separated from the other children in a table in the back of the room because he was not in a constant state of quiet stillness, as they expected him to be at 4-5 years of age. The teacher's solution for his inability to remain quiet and focused the entire day, was to suggest that I have him analyzed by a psychologist. I pre-paid for the year, so I did not have problems with decisions to expel my son. However, the experience made me wish I hadn't paid at all. My son left this school with a very low self esteem. They make it seem as though your child is receiving a high-class education, but underneath is only arrogance and damaging judgement, without the foundation of culture or intellect. Ignorant people putting their noses up in the air, does not a good school make.

Communication between school leadership and parents needs drastic improvement. Very average school with average educational results. Would not recommend to any parent expecting top level education or any parent with a child that needs extra attention or has special needs.

This is an amazing school with wonderful teachers. Both my children have gone to SSM since they were infants. My children are allowed to explore, grow, be creative and develop at their pace and become their own person. The teachers are kind, compassionate, knowledge, and truly care about their students' success. I'm amazed at the "work" my children do - learning the foundations of math and science, understanding empathy and compassion, feeling empowered, and expressing creativity. Montessori may not be for everyone/every child. Parents have to understand the Montessori language to appreciate what the teachers/students are accomplishing. Some parents find it hard NOT micromanaging and confuse this with lack of communication/expectations. With 2 kids and almost five years at SSM, I have never seen or heard of a teacher or director acting inappropriately or making a decision not in the best interest of the student and/or other students. I greatly recommend SSM to anyone looking to put their child in a safe, nurturing and learning environment.

Last modified South Shore Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-6