Bad
Good

Wonderful so far. We just moved to the area and my daughter loves this school.

This school has turned around in the past few years, and the staff does an excellent job preparing students for Middle and High School. I have seen excellent schools in other states, known as some of the best, and this school ranks up there!

I am watching closely and suggest more parents do the same. I have two adult children and am now raising my third child in kindergarten. The principal has a darkness to her and I'm not talking about her complexion. My child's teacher has had many absences this year and is always behind on curriculum. I don't believe this is a reflection of all the teachers there, and most are upbeat and friendly. The overall agenda is bizarre, pushing college to a strong arming degree is plain scary. Bottom line, listen to your children, mine does not go to school willingly and does not look forward to it.

Great kids, but unprofessional Teachers! Teachers yell at the children and uses inappropriate discipline with the children. The Teachers seem to lack a sense of care about how this affects the kids. I think there needs to be a lot of change in this school. I have picked my kids up crying not because of a child bullying them, but they felt like the Teachers were. There is a lot to be said about that. When are grown ups going to behave like grown ups? It would be nice if the teachers had better standards and a lot more class.

The students are sweet and eager to learn. Average parental involvement and support. Some great teachers with positive and enthusiastic attitudes but also many who snap or yell at the kids. I think the teachers could challenge the students more -set the bar higher. The principals do a decent job of staying on top of things. Everything is in great shape with top of the line electronic devices in each classroom. The PTA was very effective and well run. They were definitely trying to do as much with the money that was raised for as many students as possible. The library is growing but has ample books for the students. Overall it is a cheerful and good place for kids to learn and I think it will continue to improve.

Winkley Elementary has it's pros and cons. The environment is clean but the system lacks tip top professionalism. The principal has not implemented a professional dress code for her teaching staff, she does not respond to parent inquiries, and at the beginning of the year exhibited poor planning such as teacher to student ratio out on the playground. I came to the school to find three classes of students with one teacher, and around 6 little boys climbing a 6 ft fence which dropped off into a very deep ditch. Not smart or safe for the children.

I was really not at all pleased with my child's teacher. She failed to communicate with me when my child was not accomplishing the assignments at school. It was not until I received the graded 52 assignment in the go-home folder was I even aware there was a growing problem. I am an involved parent and when I speak with a teacher and she tells me my child is very bright but fails to inform me there is a problem I do not understand. The counselor is the the only one I felt I could turn to and even then nothing really worked out. We will be there next year but I will even more closely monitor the teacher. Even more so than usual. Secondly, the PTA was ineffective. The leadership spent more time engaged in gossip and less time working to promote the school. Sad.

My children are new transfers from Dripping Springs ISD and we started mid school year at Winkley. Everyone has been great and on the ball. I have heard nothing but happy storties from my kids and so far, we are really happy! I look forward to '09-'10 school year.

I am a grandparent and previous teacher from this school district. My grandson started kindergarten at Winkley last year, with very difficult home situations. His teachers were compassionate, the office staff was diligent about special needs he had, and he thrived in the Winkley environment. My granddaughter attends kindergarten there this year, and she, too, is blessed with a wonderful, caring, compassionate teacher whom she adores. What a wonderful way to begin their school years!

I transferred my son from another school in LISD last year and I was very pleased with this school. I found the teachers and staff to be very caring and professional. I will be returning my son to this school again this year.

Last modified William J Winkley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.