Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (6 responses)

The football coach shows favoritism toward children whose parents donate more money. The more money your parents have the more you get coddled and babied by the head coach. These football players bully and threaten other children, coach looks away. The athletics department is a joke here. They discriminate against children who aren't as fortunate enough as others.

Our oldest son graduated from the IB program at LHS last year. The IB program felt on par with a basic honors program at most other public schools, so that was very disappointing. Some teachers at school were good, but others went above and beyond to destroy opportunities for kids in everything from sports to academics. After hearing about the students assembling to protest against some of the teachers at the end of the school year, I think it was a good thing. Part of me thinks they went too far by making AP Meyers cry, but she shouldn't have treated those students like that. Then there was the news that LHS was unranked in Newsweek's 2016 list of top high schools in Texas! How a school that has an IB program that's supposedly up to standards but still can't get ranked it beyond understanding. Every sports program at LHS struggles with finishing the season with at least 1 win, but some of the sports seasons end with 0 wins and all losses. The campus looks nice, but that's not enough to persuade me to enroll our other children there.

My husband and I have been community volunteers here for years. Sadly we have watched the school and its students and faculty decay into what it has become now. In interacting with the students there used to be a sense of pride in them, but it seemingly has now been replaced by embarrassment. We noticed this change a few years ago and were hoping it would be temporary but it seems to have only gotten worse. We will not be sending our grandchildren to Leander High.

My childrens' middle school had larger class sizes and fewer administrative staff and fewer school counselors and still wasn't as mismanaged as this school. The administration does a terrible job of communication and lacks critical organization skills. My oldest daughters middle school told me they gave up after a week of trying to get in touch with Leander staff to verify they received some of her records. This was the middle schools second attempt since Leander said it "must have done got lost in the hustle and bustle". That should have been my first hint. I really think the school is trying as hard as they can, but bless their little hearts its just too much for them to handle. I'm hoping they will be lucky enough to get a lottery transfer to Vandegrift or Vista Ridge.

I can't take anything at this school seriously. Their academics are the weakest in the area, their sports teams are flat out terrible, and the students always look like they just got out of bed. And seriously what's with the participation ribbons in the trophy case? My daughters are so disappointed they can't transfer to VandeGrift or Vista Ridge.

This is the most depressing school I have ever been around. I wish there was another school I could transfer my daughter to.

Our family is very disappointed in the school's quality of education. Exceptionally low academic standards.

This school struggles to excel in anything. Both of my boys were so disappointed by their experiences that I withdrew them 2 years ago and enrolled at another school. They chose a sports program instead of PE credit at Leander. I didn't realize the sports program was so demanding. It wouldn't have been so bad except they lost every single game. It was so bad seeing the disappointed looks on the kids faces before the games even started! The education was mediocre at best. Both of my sons got 94% and above in their AP classes but did badly on the AP tests because they were tested over subjects that weren't covered in class. At their new school, they got 5's on both AP tests last year. The people and the school are really nice, but it is an incredibly low self esteem school. They need to win at something to get some confidence in their kids.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Firstly I do not recommend this school. I will say my son finished class with more information than he had to start with, so that's a start. The AP classes are ok but move at a slower pace than his previous school.

Amount of homework: Disagree

The homework load was normal in some classes and too light in some other classes.

Last modified Leander High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.