Public charter
Lewisville, TX
Students enrolled: 5,999

Posted April 24, 2015
My child suffered from severe migraines and the schools could not find a proper placement for him. TXVA was a God send for us. He Loves his teachers, the curriculum, while intense, is simple to follow, and I am able to have some flexibility to deal with his medical condition. I cannot say enough good about this school. I love being his learning coach, and am better able to understand what his strengths and weaknesses are educationally than I could in the brick and mortar school. I think it is not for everyone, but for the motivated parent and child, it is ideal.

Posted April 23, 2015
Our son and daughter logged on and completed/passed all the work/assessments on their daily assignment list each day. Many times, the next day, the same assignments would appear... the ones they had just completed and passed the previous day, so they had to redo them. There were so many computer glitches and issues that I pulled both of them after about a month. The school gave each child failing grades, regardless of the fact that they passed each days assessments. Apparently, the grades are based on percentages completed, and the computer wasn't assigning the correct amount of assignments each day (or making them repeat assignments). This was all acknowledged by the teachers. I spoke with higher ups and they are, so far, unwilling to change the horrific grades even though it was their system that messed up. Very unacceptable!! Sounds like a lawsuit to me.

Posted March 27, 2015
Very difficult to navigate their online system and impossible to contact technical support. Teachers just reference any problems back to technical support, with no ownership or interest in helping to solve problems.

Posted March 11, 2015
The curriculum itself is fine, but when it is piled on by class connects, work samples, extra testing, and study island my daughter was spending upwards of 12 hours a day on school. She became incredibly depressed, agitated, and eventually she shut down completely. The home room teacher told her to concentrate on ols lessons first and worry about the rest afterwards, then the next week she would send my daughter an email demanding to know why she'd not completed the extra work and tell her to concentrate on that. It flip-flopped for over a month before I finally had enough and told my daughter to work ahead in some subjects to complete them early and free up some time to concentrate on the subjects she had a harder time with. I got the idea because that is how my college courses are set up. Needless to say, she excelled and finished 3 subjects almost completely. Then her teacher called and accused her of cheating saying that she had done too much work. She told my daughter she had until the end of that day to provide written proof of all of the work she had completed. That is the point where I decided to pull her out because I'm tired of the teacher bullying my daughter.

Posted December 15, 2014
I just started this school this year and I was not prepared for what was coming to me. And as soon as I went to this school and looked at the classes I knew I wouldn't like it here. There is too much to catch up with and dealing with depression does not help because I constantly feel unmotivated and there's no one to help kick in that motivation no counselors or teachers to help boost you up , I've actually felt more depressed going here than going to Public school. This is far more the baddest school I've been to since Dobie middle school. And the work is hard to do.

Posted November 27, 2014
Our experience with this school has been disappointing on many levels. The materials are not organized an an intuitive way and we ran into many technical issues with our PC operating system (which was brand new). We ended up having to purchase a Macbook to get all the website features to work properly. The system does not seem to be very forgiving from a technical standpoint. Secondly, our representative provided us erroneous information about when my daughter needed to return to Texas from California to take the STARR test. I wasted $900 on airfare as a result. They never offered to reimburse me for their error. What made us decide to eventually leave TVA was their unwillingness to help my daughter take the STAAR test remotely. TVA continued to tell us that the TEA does not allow this, despite clear evidence to the contrary. I provided them information documenting how TTUISD has been doing this. I also gave them a name of a person at TEA who I spoke with that told me any virtual school can do this is they follow TEA guidelines (which were very easy). They evidently thought it was too much trouble and were unwilling to go the extra mile for my daughter.

Posted September 08, 2014
For those who are saying the 5 Star ratings are fake, I assure you they are not. We started K-12 4 years ago. My daughter has Autism Spectrum Disorder, Dysgraphia, Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Ehlors Danlos Syndrome, a heart defect, and was being bullied constantly. She had been harassed, verbally and mentally abused, and the staff and teachers did nothing to help. She had to be put in therapy and after they observed what was happening, they recommended the K-12 program to us.It seemed overwhelming at first. I was scared to death but to my surprise, the staff and teachers were right there every step of the way. She was able to work at her own pace and gets extra help in classes she needs it in and advances in those she doesn't. I can not tell you how amazed I am at the difference the k-12 program has made in my child. My once bullied, sad, struggling daughter is now a member of the NJHS, president of her Girl Scout troop, President and Founder of the Sweet and Sour Lemonade Club (benefiting Alex's Lemonade Stand foundation), a past committee member for our local Relay For Life, and is trying to become a mentor to new students at TXVA. I highly recommend TXVA.

Texas Virtual Academy 3

Posted June 06, 2014
2 yrs experience 9th - 11th grd 1) Some highly experienced teachers. They can only tell if kid is engaged if the kid is communicating with them via email, instant message, phone, etc. Will bend over backward if the communication is there but kid is struggling. Will not if they see no evidence of communication. 2) My kid is ADHD so the workload has been extremely tough on him. He works 7 days/wk. 1st year had to be on top of him, used software controls on his computer to prevent distraction. Getting better as he matures. 3) Insanely bad Learning Management System software. Seven concurrent subjects where the teachers trying to help the kids by giving them detailed weekly learning plans but style of each document plan are different and needs consolidating. 4) The learning material quality is very high indeed. I always know exactly what he is learning and know what he is weak in and what he is strong in. Problem is the number of subjects is limited. For example no AP classes in Studio Art. 5) Social interaction is taking a hit. No working in teams, discussion boards are not a good substitute for face to face. overall okay but need to supplement with outside social.

Posted May 31, 2014
I trusted my child's education with this and am very disappointed. After juggling 8 classes, assignments overlapping, teachers constantly emailing and requesting assignments at the same time was crazy. Math teacher was very rude when reached out for help. If you are doing assignments for one class how can you read emails and attend live sessions at the same time. My child spent more than 10 hours a day on lessons and project. Now because of math cannot attend graduation ceremony. If a large number of students are failing math then there is a problem with the program and teacher. I wish we had continued with public school because this was a poor choice. Face to face contact is better. I hate I trusted this program with my child's education. A very frustrated parent.

Posted May 23, 2014
Well my child is in TXVA, I will start by saying it's not for everyone!! The work is not simple! It may take you lots of time to get the hang of things and learn how to communicate and be successful! Communication is the key word!! Once you figure it out and learn the ropes it sure makes things a lot easier and well worth it in the end. I say that the 6 hours a day may be for some but I'm sure it's not for most!! I know my daughter may at times put 8,10,12 hours a day depending on what is needed for her to get things done and do well!! So you have to be welling to do what it takes to stay on track and parents have to stay involved and support them! It is a great opportunity for many that can manage the independence and work load. This is not an easy way out, you will put in many long hours of schools the same as regular school in most cases many more. I have to say the teachers are great and the program and school support has been a good! We are grateful for TXVA! Looking forward to the rest of high school with TXVA

Texas Virtual Academy
1800 Lakeway Dr, Lewisville, TX  75057
Last modified Texas Virtual Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Texas Virtual Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top