Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Texas Virtual Academy 5

Posted December 15, 2015
The Texas virtual academy program has been a wonderful program and education for my son. This is his 3rd year, as he is now in high school. It is intended for students who can independently stay on track. A student who has the discipline to attend class connect sessions, and stay in communication with their teachers. My son went from being on a IEP , to now being completely released from any special ed program, to now on the A B honor roll. The vast majority of his teachers are very involved, caring, knowledgeable teachers. As a parent know what this process and education involves, maybe it's not for your child. But for mine, it's been a wonderful blessing.

Texas Virtual Academy 1

Posted November 10, 2015
Our daughter has been homeschooled following the K12 curriculum for 4 years in conjunction with several charter schools in California and Hawaii. TXVA is by far the worst experience we've had with this program. From the extremely long, difficult (borderline ridiculous) enrollment process (I never had to enroll my daughter in public school before opting to homeschool her, as I had to do in Texas, or draft a letter stating that she is under no disciplinary action), to TXVA "locking" my daughter's curriculum and sending her to "remedial" classes when she took a test more than 3 times to improve her grade, even when she mastered the subject the first time, TXVA is a complete mess. The daily schedule was crowded beyond words with numerous Class Connect Sessions, which are a waste of time, additional "busy work", filling of forms, weekly work samples in some convoluted format, and miscellaneous "red tape"/"administrative"/"standard testing" work. There was no room for learning. After a couple of stressful days, and realizing that TXVA would be a very onerous school to deal with and would take away the joy of learning and flexibility afforded by homeschooling, we withdrew my daughter from TXVA. What a relief!! We are now homeschooling independently, using Khan Academy, K12 materials and Study Island. Our daughter is almost done with the Algebra I curriculum and enjoying every day of school! At the end of the school year, our daughter will take the Stanford Online Test and the Iowa Test of Basic Skills, which are a much better indicator for school success and broadly accepted nationwide, v. the "STARR" tests that TXVA pushes into oblivion. Don't enroll!!

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted November 10, 2015
Each day is packed with at least 4 Class Connect Sessions, which are a waste of time for students who (like my daughter) are advanced and know the subject. They are all mandatory, even if they don't contribute in any way to the student's learning. There is also a ridiculous amount of quizzes and paper shuffling (from printing, work samples, etc). Learning comes last, as long as all the "administrative/red tape" requirements are met. Stay away from this school!

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted November 10, 2015
The teachers are more concerned about fulfilling "administrative" / standardized testing requisites than in advancing our children's education. TXVA is the right school if you want your child to be discouraged about learning and schooling.

Texas Virtual Academy 1

Posted October 05, 2015
As someone who currently struggles with the amount of work given and a lack of responsive teachers, I can clearly advise anyone considering this for their child to GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. Save your self/kids the stress and unneeded work; choose a private home school.

Grateful to: Parent

Posted October 05, 2015
I'd like to thank my parent for their constant involvement in not only making sure I have a great education, but taking the time to read the sections of the textbooks to teach me things my teachers refused to educate me on. (Most topics)

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted October 05, 2015
With the mandatory "class sessions" that require you to download a file every day to connect to the class, an unbelievable amount of printing and scanning daily, and atleast 3 of my own personal classes giving me upwards of 7 (yes, seven) quizzes a day, I can very clearly state that yes, despite being advertised as a more approachable/organized "public school", it has too much work and causes myself, and other students to stress constantly.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted October 05, 2015
Having to persistently complain and contact teachers about what you'd think would be simple solutions really does help me learn what persistence is. Grit? No. Determination? All the determination I've gained is that of my learning coach (my parent) and watching them as they stay determined to actually accomplish anything with K12's system or contact anyone within the school as to why teachers refuse to use the very contact system put into place by K12.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted October 05, 2015
In all honesty there hasn't been an opportunity for me to learn anything other than how to print and scan paper assignments- despite this being an 'online school'. Improve communication between teachers and their pupils and then come talk to me about whether or not I've learned anything from them.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted October 05, 2015
As stated before, this school has little-to-no credibility or responsibility whatsoever. With a lack of student-to-teacher communication and a clunky/outdated system, this school could care less if your student passes or fails.

P O Box 292730, Lewisville, TX  75029
Last modified Texas Virtual Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Texas Virtual Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 56 reviews. Top