Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

This is our first experience with an online school and man I cant tell you how disappointed we are. I really don't think its the lack of teachers trying to do their job but the lack and skill set of the management. I have sent out serval emails to principal with no reply. The TXVA upper management is taking teachers out of there assigned duties and having them fill in for other schools. I have 2 children enrolled, one in middle and the other in high school. My high school student is able to keep up and keep her grades up but its been a real struggle. My Middle school student is having nothing but issues. The most recent one is, that her grades\assignments were not showing so apparently she was missing a lot of assignments but we were not able to see them missing. They had to reset her account then we were able to see them. This is just a small sample of all the issues we have experienced with this school. I really like the concept but it still has a way to go, will not be going back next year....

Enrolled my daughter for one semester because we where in the process of relocating, what a mistake, from teachers not showing up, to teachers being replaced, to sessions lasting 15-30 minutes when scheduled for an hour, to teachers claiming that the work was never uploaded. My daughter went from an A-B student, to Failing 5 classes. Don't enroll! On top of that it's nearly impossible to get any answers or customer service.

Lots of busy work, but no actual learning. The clubs are a joke. You aren't allowed to communicate with the other students and ClassConnects are a waste of time. The teachers are unresponsive and the principal is worse. Worst schooling experience I've ever had. -High School Student

The Texas virtual academy program has been a wonderful program and education for my son. This is his 3rd year, as he is now in high school. It is intended for students who can independently stay on track. A student who has the discipline to attend class connect sessions, and stay in communication with their teachers. My son went from being on a IEP , to now being completely released from any special ed program, to now on the A B honor roll. The vast majority of his teachers are very involved, caring, knowledgeable teachers. As a parent know what this process and education involves, maybe it's not for your child. But for mine, it's been a wonderful blessing.

Our daughter has been homeschooled following the K12 curriculum for 4 years in conjunction with several charter schools in California and Hawaii. TXVA is by far the worst experience we've had with this program. From the extremely long, difficult (borderline ridiculous) enrollment process (I never had to enroll my daughter in public school before opting to homeschool her, as I had to do in Texas, or draft a letter stating that she is under no disciplinary action), to TXVA "locking" my daughter's curriculum and sending her to "remedial" classes when she took a test more than 3 times to improve her grade, even when she mastered the subject the first time, TXVA is a complete mess. The daily schedule was crowded beyond words with numerous Class Connect Sessions, which are a waste of time, additional "busy work", filling of forms, weekly work samples in some convoluted format, and miscellaneous "red tape"/"administrative"/"standard testing" work. There was no room for learning. After a couple of stressful days, and realizing that TXVA would be a very onerous school to deal with and would take away the joy of learning and flexibility afforded by homeschooling, we withdrew my daughter from TXVA. What a relief!! We are now homeschooling independently, using Khan Academy, K12 materials and Study Island. Our daughter is almost done with the Algebra I curriculum and enjoying every day of school! At the end of the school year, our daughter will take the Stanford Online Test and the Iowa Test of Basic Skills, which are a much better indicator for school success and broadly accepted nationwide, v. the "STARR" tests that TXVA pushes into oblivion. Don't enroll!!

Amount of homework: Disagree

Each day is packed with at least 4 Class Connect Sessions, which are a waste of time for students who (like my daughter) are advanced and know the subject. They are all mandatory, even if they don't contribute in any way to the student's learning. There is also a ridiculous amount of quizzes and paper shuffling (from printing, work samples, etc). Learning comes last, as long as all the "administrative/red tape" requirements are met. Stay away from this school!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The teachers are more concerned about fulfilling "administrative" / standardized testing requisites than in advancing our children's education. TXVA is the right school if you want your child to be discouraged about learning and schooling.

As someone who currently struggles with the amount of work given and a lack of responsive teachers, I can clearly advise anyone considering this for their child to GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. Save your self/kids the stress and unneeded work; choose a private home school.

Amount of homework: Disagree

With the mandatory "class sessions" that require you to download a file every day to connect to the class, an unbelievable amount of printing and scanning daily, and atleast 3 of my own personal classes giving me upwards of 7 (yes, seven) quizzes a day, I can very clearly state that yes, despite being advertised as a more approachable/organized "public school", it has too much work and causes myself, and other students to stress constantly.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

If there were truly integrity and fairness being shown to students, I wouldn't need to call 'customer support' every time I had a question for a teacher.

Last modified Texas Virtual Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.