Degan Elementary School 3

Posted February 26, 2014
Very disappointed in the Principal Leadership and communication process. Non professional, ill prepared for conference, delay in response, little to no regard to the handling of a child, parent, teacher, principal relationship. Paperwork, Code of Conduct, Instructions not communicated in full but in piece mill. Also very disappointed in the communication process with a seven year old second grader. Non encouraging and basically put down. Takes little to wonder why our edicaional systems are failing our children. Let us pray!.

Posted November 12, 2013
I have two children at Degan and have been pleased with the school. My children have teachers who care and take the time to get to know them. The new principal this year has been amazing and attentive to the needs of the staff and children.

Degan Elementary School 1

Posted November 11, 2013
Unfortunately this school is staffed with teachers who need to find new career paths. If you do not LOVE children and want to contribute to their lives in a positive and enriching way then teaching is not for you. Belittling students is never OK - especially not in front of other students and teachers. The mistreatment students receive from the teachers is almost worse than what they get from other students. The new principal, Mrs. Stuart, seems more interested in "fixing" things that aren't broken than actually making any positive impact in this school. If you have a choice in schools I'd pick somewhere else.

Posted November 11, 2013
We are thrilled with Degan elementary, especially under the new leadership of the new principal! Before, teachers worked tirelessly to help their students achieve. Now, teachers work tirelessly and with JOY to help their students achieve, and the positivity is contagious! The new programs implemented - Eagle Time and Club Fridays - give both students and teachers time to explore and challenge themselves. And Eagle Shuffle is exactly what Degan needed to be proud of itself again! The recent Mad Scientist Night was a huge success, and we look forward to what is in store next. To get a glimpse, follow the teachers and administrators on Twitter, and you'll see an energy and enthusiasm that is unmatched in education. As a teacher myself, I can see why the Degan faculty is enjoying their new leadership, and that excitement all funnels to the place it should go - the students.

Posted November 11, 2013
I feel very lucky as a parent to have my child at Degan. This is my sons last year and it will be sad to leave. Every year the teachers have gone over and beyond and I couldn't be happier. The Principals are very involved and are always there to help when needed. I have also been very happy with the GT program that my son is involved in and has been for several years. The PTA is working hard to have more activities throughout the year and I have seen a big improvement. Degan is a great school to be at and involved in!! Degan staff we parents thank you for all that you are and all that you do everyday. Our children wouldn't be as happy everyday as they are. Thank You Degan!

Posted April 13, 2012
I do agree that I have never seen the principal but I am so grateful for the assistant principal and the wonderful teacher's here. I have also learned to take the conduct forms with a grain of salt. I see it as a reminder to be aware of your actions. But my son has severe adhd and is dyslexic...all of which they helped me tremendously to diagnose and set a course of action. My husband and I graduated from private schools so our first experience with Texas public schools has surpassed our expectations!

Degan Elementary School 2

Posted March 09, 2012
each class, every week misses most of lunch time for eating. they rotate the classes each week as who comes first or last. The last class has minutes left to get through the line & eat. I sat with my child on most days of the week, every week & always, always - there were a group of children who literally had only 3 to 5 min. to try to get their school lunch down. the school refused to do anything about it. Kids rarely had much recess - 15 to 20 min. was the norm. we were there grades 1-5

Degan Elementary School 4

Posted November 23, 2011
We've had a great experience with this school: a challenging G/T program with a PHENOMENAL facilitator, caring teachers who go above & beyond with caring, respectful discipline, friendly, helpful office staff, & good extracurricular programs with strong student involvement. Any concerns we've had have been addressed & resolved within a short time frame. Several staff members are themselves graduates of the Lewisville Independent School District, which says a lot about both the school & the district. I'd describe the overall atmosphere at Degan as relaxed, caring, & friendly, yet disciplined & respectful to students, teachers, support staff, & parents.

Posted April 10, 2011
We had a great expereince with our son attending K-5 at Degan. Every year we had a great teacher, very hands on and always available to talk with how our son was progressing. We were involved as parents as volunteers and on PTA Board and had a good experience. We had occassion to work with the staff, principal & VP and always received help and answers. We really enjoyed our years at Degan with our son.

Degan Elementary School 1

Posted January 09, 2011
This is our 1st experience in a public school. There is too much emphasis on basic skills in preparation for the TAKS & too much emphasis on teaching students "life lessons" and not academics. Students are rewarded, i.e. a 6 weeks party, for good conduct, but no in school reward for good grades. Due to the extreme structure I don't feel they accept differences in individual student personalities. Students receive a reduced conduct grade for leaning on the wall, yawning and stretching in class, or "getting ready" to talk. I believe students should be disciplined, but it should be age appropriate and meaningful to the student. There is little to no differentiated instruction. The principal hides behind the teachers and in her office. When we requested a meeting with her, we were directed to the Asst. Prinicipal, who is EXCEPTIONAL. I volunteer on a weekly basis and wouldn't know what the principal looked like if I passed her in the halls.

Degan Elementary School
1680 College Parkway, Lewisville, TX  75077
Last modified Degan Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Degan Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top