Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Southridge Elementary School 5

Posted November 20, 2015
My son has been going to SR EM for 2 years now and we have had a very pleasant experience. Both my son's teachers Mrs.Smith & Mrs. Miller have been amazing with communication with the parents (my husband & I). I feel that the office staff as well as the nurse are very active and have been proactive in keeping up to date with communication. We always get all the paper works, grade reports and PTA is pretty active as far as I can see. Unfortunately I can't help due to having a 3 year old at home and a new baby on the way. My son really enjoys the interactions and learning experience. He's exceeded emotionally & socially. He's doing surpringly well in reading which makes me happy. He's had some companies about some of the other kids being mean or lying or not listening to the teacher and how the whole class would get penalized for 1 or 2 bad apple's but I've explained to him that as long as your not one of them then your okay. If someone bullies you or is mean to you then you need to tell your teacher or myself and we will address it, but then that wa kindergarten and they are all learning at that age. Overall I'm a happy parent, my son's happy here and excelling and actually looks forward to going to school. I couldn't ask for more. Thank you South Ride teachers and staff. You guys do a tough job as should be appreciated more, not sure why schools ratings are low though.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 20, 2015
Yes, Mrs. SMithun in Kinder and Mrs. Miller in 1st grade have both been exceptional in my son's education and development.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted November 20, 2015
They are very proactive as far as the teachers and staff I've dealt with. It's comforting as a parent to see that level of engagement from educators.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted November 20, 2015
I like the homework policy, there are some schools that have a no homework policy and I'm not keen to that. Kids need to be challenged at home as well so that remember what they learned in school. Wheny son bring home homework and we sit down to do it, he tells me that he's done similar work at school, so I tell him then this should be a refresher. It's good to build this at a young age so they are prepared when going into middle and high school where they get a lot more homework.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted November 20, 2015
Yes, I've seen my son motivated to excel and be competitive to do better. Hes always happy to report that he's moved up to Blue or Purple.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted November 20, 2015
Definitely, the teachers I've engaged with have been friendly and engaging. My son respects his teachers and those around him. He's learned those things in school.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted November 20, 2015
My son has learned to share, respect others, wait his turn. This makes me happy that he's not in an environment where he's upset all the time or emotionally depressed.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted November 20, 2015
I've seen amazing improvement in my son's. He's also advised me of minor situations in the classroom where another child would take someone and lie about it and the issues would be addressed by Mrs. Miller. I was happy to see my son learning a life lesson of not lying about doing a wrong otherwise he'd get punished for it. He's developed that understanding to know the difference.

Southridge Elementary School 5

Posted August 02, 2015
I am an educator that has been a student and a teacher in several other schools and districts. I have two children that have attended their entire elementary career at Southridge. I have worked on the campus for five years. I was a substitute and an aide for a couple of years. Then, when my kids were both in school, I went back into full time teaching and have taught 1st grade for three years. My son is in the dual language program, and my daughter is going into 5th grade. I work with some extremely dedicated and talented teachers. I have had a good experience with many parents and have taught many sibling groups. Some families do move in and out quickly, due to some of the housing that is temporary in our zone. This can be a challenge, but it keeps us on our toes and gives us an opportunity to work with all kinds of students. We are able to try new strategies daily to engage our students and help them meet academic, social, and emotional goals. The students and families, that have been able to stay at Southridge for longer periods of time, have built great relationships with the staff and other parents. The PTA is AMAZING and has continued growing in the last few years with great leadership and organization. Southridge has been a great place for me to restart my career after staying home for 8 years. I am challenged as a teacher, and my children are challenged as students. We have many enriching and fun opportunities here! The "specials" (Computer, Library, Art, Music, P.E., Art) classes are top notch. Some of our other favorites have been the Chess Club, Music Club, STEM Club, Computer Club, Talent Show, Family Bingo Nights, Skating Parties, and the Watch Dog Dad Program. The administration works hard to maintain high expectations of the staff and students. The more involved you become, the happier you will be with your experience here.

Southridge Elementary School 4

Posted June 19, 2014
I find it very difficult to believe that this school is only rated a 5. My son's experience at Southridge has been wonderful. The teachers are well educated and dedicated, are great role models and teach and encourage with a lot of heart. My son advanced quickly and was invested in his own education because the teachers made it fun and taught with a real world application type of style. The environment is warm and comfortable and the discipline is fair. Principal Sheriff is tough, but she is fair and well respected. Take into consideration that there may be a language barrier and therefore slightly lower test scores for some students who do not speak English as a first language. Southridge quickly added the dual language learning to their curriculum to address this. My son has not attended for a year, due to a move and he misses it and still talks about the school often. As a parent, I would rate Southridge a 9.

495 West Corporate Drive, Lewisville, TX  75067
Last modified Southridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Southridge Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top