Bad
Good

My son has been going to SR EM for 2 years now and we have had a very pleasant experience. Both my son's teachers Mrs.Smith & Mrs. Miller have been amazing with communication with the parents (my husband & I). I feel that the office staff as well as the nurse are very active and have been proactive in keeping up to date with communication. We always get all the paper works, grade reports and PTA is pretty active as far as I can see. Unfortunately I can't help due to having a 3 year old at home and a new baby on the way. My son really enjoys the interactions and learning experience. He's exceeded emotionally & socially. He's doing surpringly well in reading which makes me happy. He's had some companies about some of the other kids being mean or lying or not listening to the teacher and how the whole class would get penalized for 1 or 2 bad apple's but I've explained to him that as long as your not one of them then your okay. If someone bullies you or is mean to you then you need to tell your teacher or myself and we will address it, but then that wa kindergarten and they are all learning at that age. Overall I'm a happy parent, my son's happy here and excelling and actually looks forward to going to school. I couldn't ask for more. Thank you South Ride teachers and staff. You guys do a tough job as should be appreciated more, not sure why schools ratings are low though.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

They are very proactive as far as the teachers and staff I've dealt with. It's comforting as a parent to see that level of engagement from educators.

Amount of homework: Agree

I like the homework policy, there are some schools that have a no homework policy and I'm not keen to that. Kids need to be challenged at home as well so that remember what they learned in school. Wheny son bring home homework and we sit down to do it, he tells me that he's done similar work at school, so I tell him then this should be a refresher. It's good to build this at a young age so they are prepared when going into middle and high school where they get a lot more homework.

Develops character: Strongly agree

I've seen amazing improvement in my son's. He's also advised me of minor situations in the classroom where another child would take someone and lie about it and the issues would be addressed by Mrs. Miller. I was happy to see my son learning a life lesson of not lying about doing a wrong otherwise he'd get punished for it. He's developed that understanding to know the difference.

I am an educator that has been a student and a teacher in several other schools and districts. I have two children that have attended their entire elementary career at Southridge. I have worked on the campus for five years. I was a substitute and an aide for a couple of years. Then, when my kids were both in school, I went back into full time teaching and have taught 1st grade for three years. My son is in the dual language program, and my daughter is going into 5th grade. I work with some extremely dedicated and talented teachers. I have had a good experience with many parents and have taught many sibling groups. Some families do move in and out quickly, due to some of the housing that is temporary in our zone. This can be a challenge, but it keeps us on our toes and gives us an opportunity to work with all kinds of students. We are able to try new strategies daily to engage our students and help them meet academic, social, and emotional goals. The students and families, that have been able to stay at Southridge for longer periods of time, have built great relationships with the staff and other parents. The PTA is AMAZING and has continued growing in the last few years with great leadership and organization. Southridge has been a great place for me to restart my career after staying home for 8 years. I am challenged as a teacher, and my children are challenged as students. We have many enriching and fun opportunities here! The "specials" (Computer, Library, Art, Music, P.E., Art) classes are top notch. Some of our other favorites have been the Chess Club, Music Club, STEM Club, Computer Club, Talent Show, Family Bingo Nights, Skating Parties, and the Watch Dog Dad Program. The administration works hard to maintain high expectations of the staff and students. The more involved you become, the happier you will be with your experience here.

I find it very difficult to believe that this school is only rated a 5. My son's experience at Southridge has been wonderful. The teachers are well educated and dedicated, are great role models and teach and encourage with a lot of heart. My son advanced quickly and was invested in his own education because the teachers made it fun and taught with a real world application type of style. The environment is warm and comfortable and the discipline is fair. Principal Sheriff is tough, but she is fair and well respected. Take into consideration that there may be a language barrier and therefore slightly lower test scores for some students who do not speak English as a first language. Southridge quickly added the dual language learning to their curriculum to address this. My son has not attended for a year, due to a move and he misses it and still talks about the school often. As a parent, I would rate Southridge a 9.

We are happy with the school so far. My son's kindergarten teacher Ms. Corfield has been doing an excellent job at no only getting within two weeks our son to finally learn his ABC's and counting, but to read as well. She sends out regular progress reports as well as schedules meetings to involve us in his learning. We are highly impressed at the pace that the school is teaching our son. If I were to complain about anything is the fact that their conduct is included into their academic grade. In our sons case, he never went to preschool or had long periods of daily interaction with other children was so happy to be around other kids so in line he would touch other kids (point demerit), accidently step on toes in line (point demerit) not bad, except 0-1 is an A, 2-3 B, so if a child like ours despite their impressive learning in a short time, will only have a C (4-5) or a D (6 marks or more) in the week.

I love this school. I don't get the poor reviews. The only thing I would complain about is the PARENTS! They are NOT involved enough! The crossing guard yells at the kids because they jaywalk in front of the school because the parents drop them off in the street. I have 3 children who have either attended this school or are there now. Two of them are in special education and the other one has needed extra services and I have never had a problem with any of the teachers or the principal. Don't blame the teachers or the staff for the problems with some of these kids. There is only so much they can do. Parents are the children't first teachers!

We have a second grader and are very happy with the school. She is in the LEAP (T&G) program and sometimes can be socially anxious, but the teachers have really been phenomenal. Don't get me wrong, the PTA meetings are terrible, but it's not the school that makes them terrible, it's the parents. It would be hard for any school to try to "fix" rude and nasty adults.

We moved from Birdville ISD to Lewisville and are so happy with the move. We have two children at Southridge and they are both excelling both academically and emotionally. Our son's special needs are being addressed proactively and we couldn't be happier with the personalized care and attention he receives. We are very happy with the amount of timely and thorough communication we receive from the school, and the teachers and staff have been wonderful. The only reason I didn't give Southridge 5 stars is the lack of "extras" (field trips, a more robust PTA program, etc.). But academically and socially, it has been wonderful for my children.

Last modified Southridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.