Little Elm High School

Public | 9-12 | 1736 students

Living in Little Elm

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $165,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $910.

Posted April 20, 2014

I moved to Little Elm last year from Plano with my husband and son who is now in his junior year. What a drastic downgrade! I wish I had paid more attention to the realtor when he warned me about the school system here before we moved. 100% financing on a home is not worth my child's future. The college preparedness is absolutely horrible at Little Elm High. It was brought to light this year that out of 27 school districts in 2 counties(Denton & Collin) their SAT scores rank last at 1352. However, I did not need to see test scores to know just how bad this school is. Before this school can get better at college prep, it first needs to be able to have students who are prepared for high school. My son tells me that that he is so far ahead of his friends, and that this school is run like a prison camp with teachers blowing whistles and acting like maniacs. This school could improve drastically if the principal and his staff would show more interest and respect for their students. Even the mature respectable students are being treated like criminals and their morale is being destroyed. Thankfully my son will be graduating next year because I want to stay in Little Elm.

Posted March 2, 2014

This is my third year in this school and this year has been the WORST!! theres one principle that blows his whistle every 5 seconds in students ears and scream at us to keep walking . especially that principle tends to make fun of us and screams it out loud so everyone can stare at you. He even told me to GET A LIFE like really to me that is very disrespectful . Just because he was from the military doesn't mean he has to treat most of us like that. i do agree that they are very rude and they keep us moving like if we were cattle or something Some of us can wait to leave that school we feel so trapped in there
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 24, 2014

Little Elm Schools have turned the corner! The new Admin is making it place where learning is taking place. Where more is expected, more is acheived. Hats off to the higher standards and increasingly better results. You know it's working when the students are saying it and the scores are steadily moving moving up. A big thanks to the focus on technology and advanced teaching methods.

Posted October 28, 2013

Little elm high school is terrible. They're trying to act like others schools which is not working. The more reinforcements they keep putting in this school, students are not going to do anything. Someone spilled milk on the stairs one day during lunch and now for on and til' the school year ends no one is allowed to pass the stairs, which I think is really stupid just one little incident. Teachers don't care. With intervention it's pointless thinking oh this is going to help our students well it isn't working. During an assembly their were talking about our STAAR scores saying we had the worst scores. We probably wouldn't have the worst scores if you would stop reinforcing these rules and more stricter on these students maybe we will, or if you actually took the time but no little elm doesn't take the time. Now they're going to need a new high school the freshman this year grew and it's going to keep growing as it goes soon enough they won't be able to fit them in classrooms cause its over crowded. Little elm needs to step it up and work out their problems instead of focusing on kids education 24/7 for once.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 6, 2013

I'm being really nice about the 4 stars, because this school really deserves 3.5 at the moment. I've attended this school since sophomore year and I will graduate in the spring. Overall, I love LE, because the school really works for me. I'm taking mainly AP classes and I have had some really excellent teachers that made me work hard. I feel like this school is improving, but the new administration (their second year) should try not to make the kids to feel so trapped sometimes. They honest want to improve the school and I am glad for that. The transition to STARR has been difficult for my younger sibling. I did great on TAKS. I think project based learning is a joke, but I don't have to worry about that in AP. Drugs are an issue like any other high school. Also, they have one of the best Color guard/ winter guard programs in the state (a little known fact). The band is truly amazing. Football changes with the seasons, but I really think they're building up the program. The people here are diverse, down to earth, and I think there's somewhere for everyone to feel accepted. The school doesn't have a great reputation but I believe that may change!

Posted January 5, 2012

This school is the worst school my daughter ever attended. The staff are very rude,unprofessional. You can address any concerns,good,bad! Your issues will not be handled in a Timely manor. I'm so glad this will be my daughter last year aswell!!!!! They also loose the students credits,grades aswell as schedules. If your child can attend another school take advantage of that. RUN FAR FROM THIS SCHOOL!

Posted September 25, 2011

Moved here from Plano. Renting only thank goodness. Our daughter's first and last year at this high school. This school is behind academically, some teachers and staff scoff at how well rounded our daughter is saying, "oh your from Plano." and Proud of it. Now they are trying to make the curriculum like Plano because now they realize they are behind in all areas. Teachers don't allow kids to go to bathroom without permission at lunch, the kids are watched like criminals and treated like children. There is so much racism and division going on in this school. I hope the new prinicpal can bring this school up to date and help end the mistreatment of the students here. The overall system of the school is out of dadte and the counselors need to learn to be more efficient in dealing with scheduling issues. The staff needs an overhall, those that don't like their job or are stressed need to be dismised. Time for new blood. The principal is great he needs to udate staff memebers on better treatment of students and policies. Thank goodness our daughter is well educated by Plano Standards. This school has potential just needs a lot of change to make it modern.

Posted August 25, 2011

Please! I wish I could afford to get my son into Legacy Christian Academy. If I told you what I "really" think of this school, I would go over the character limit. EVERYTHING the prior people said about this place is on the money. If I had the time I would home school my son. They leave it up to the student to communicate on their behalf, among other things. Staff never calls you back in a timely manner to discuss things that are going on with your child and like I said, I am about to run out of character space to say what I really feel about this school. So I am going to leave it at that and let you fill in the blanks!!!!

Posted August 24, 2011

My daughter has attended this school for 3 years now and I am more than happy that it is her last year. The classes are overcrowded. There are rude and unprofessional staff there. Some staff members even cuss at their students. Bullies, drugs, teen pregnancy, you name it and you can excel at it here at this school.

Posted March 30, 2011

My children have attended the high school for 2 years and the administrators are very unprofessional. I have attempted to address my concerns in a polite and professional manner and I have been ignored. I don't feel the kids receive adequate academics and the things they get in trouble for are extremely petty. My son received in school suspension because the teacher would not allow him to use the bathroom & he went without her permission due to he could not hold it. Little Elm is an awesome community to live in but the schools need improvement big time!

Posted November 15, 2010

This school is not a very good school, in fact it would almost terrible if it wasn't for the location. My son has some problems with his Mathematics, and Reading Skills and nothing helped him. He failed the year, and it happened the next year after that. It was not his fault. How do I know it wasn't? The schools in Little Elm are terrible! After I moved him to a different School District, he was doing so much better! The school is OKAY for people that are very smart or somewhat smart in the mathematics, english, and reading skills but if you have trouble in one of them, this school is not for your Child.

Posted September 2, 2008

Great school! Incredible school with great community involvement. They go the extra mile for the kids and that's what matters.

Posted May 27, 2008

Good school getting better. The school is getting better and staying true to it's small town roots. Some growing pains since the small town mentality has had to give in to big school challenges and costs. Overall, it's a great school to work at compared to Plano type schools where teachers and students are only a number. Should only get better.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 31, 2007

The school system needs a lot of help. The students are not getting the education they deserve and they do not prepare them for college at all. As parents we have to even stay on top of the teachers to make sure things are graded properly.

Posted February 14, 2007

The quality of the teaching in this school district is horrible. There are too many kids and not enough control inside/outside the classroom.

Posted September 13, 2006

Great place to raise children. The teachers are very involved with the kids. Most teachers offer tutoring and extra credit for those who are interested. My child skipped class for the first time ever, and I was notified by e-mail, from one of the teachers that my child did not attend class that day, but was seen at school earlier. What more can a parent ask for. Good communication.

Posted April 18, 2006

The school has tremendous growing pains and the students need more control. I do not recommend this school district.

Posted August 20, 2005

Academically this school is fine. The music dept. seems to have improved in the last year and extracurricular activities are improving as well. Parent involvment is high, one of the biggest assets to the school in my opinion! My children Love the teachers and wouldn't live anywhere else!

Posted April 4, 2005

Teacher quality is great. Academics are good -- better if you're child is in the AP program, the 'basic' programs have pretty big class sizes. Beautiful new building.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

429 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

423 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

388 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

383 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

385 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

388 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

358 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

360 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

360 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

361 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students97%

White99%
Economically disadvantaged99%
Special education92%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

371 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

469 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

308 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

488 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

527 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

366 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

367 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

351 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

482 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

364 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 7%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1900 Walker Lane