Bad
Good

I went to Lubbock High School and graduated in 1973. This is the prettiest School in Lubbock and in Texas. All the people that went to school are great people to know for a life time.

I graduated from LHS several years ago, finished university in Austin, and have since been back a few times as a substitute teacher while I work on getting my teaching certification. It's a great school to sub at! I loved my experience as a student there- my teachers were top notch and actually cared about us both as students with high academic goals but also as people. Many of those teachers are still there. There are plenty of high ranking organizations such as UIL math/science/debate/choir, mariachi, drumline, etc. for students to join. Students can also take classes not offered elsewhere such as automotive, naval ROTC, dance, and gymnastics. The pre-AP/AP classes are challenging and really prepare students for college, with minimal busy work, because they require students to learn how to study and manage time. High school is absolutely what each student makes of it and LHS has plenty of opportunities to take advantage of. Yes, half of the school are the kids that don't care at all, but the other half are students who transferred there for rigorous academics to make it a contender in Texas. LHS's valedictorian/salutatorian always have higher GPAs than other area high schools.

I have to contradict the parent who said "Parents beware". I apologize if this is rude, but that is the type of parent whose child-rearing would cause their child to have difficulty at ANY school. Prejudice and narrowmindedness do not lead to getting along with your fellow students or later with coworkers and neighbors. One of the great things about Lubbock High IS the variety of eithnicities and cultures. Learning to communicate across cultures is a great education in itself and is so beneficial to the student. All three of my children had wonderful experiences at Lubbock High, benefitted from great teachers, made good friends of all races and cultures, AND got a great education in the process which led to success in college and adulthood. Thank you Lubbock High!

Even though most people say that LHS is "bad". They need to get their head out of the clouds because it is my first year here, and I am already enjoying. The teachers are fantastic and the academics are outstanding. Lubbock High is not bad at all in my opinion. It is the best decision I have ever made. I am now able to grow into the person I really am.

The student body at Lubbock High is "rough" at best. If you are raising your child with traditional values, be prepared to have those values challenged. Supervision is inadequate due to the large student body. However, LHS does offer top notch academics. It is the best academic school in the area, although I do not think it measures up to programs in bigger cities. Lubbock as a whole does not offer anything impressive in its schools, but if you need to live here for a job or for some other reason can't leave, LHS is the LISD high school of choice. Just be very aware of with whom your child is spending time. Our family came across several "friends" of questionable character, which can admittedly be found anywhere. However, it is the inner city school in town, it is a title 1 school, and many of the students have less than desirable home lives. Parents beware. There is more to school than AP & IB classes.

Lubbock High School is the best high school in West Texas, turning out well-rounded top notch students all over the country. In my year, both the valedictorian and salutatorian went to Stanford University which was ranked #1 by US News and World Report. Other students to various Ivy league schools and top state public and private schools. My senior year, 10 people made Texas All- State Orchestra, which made us the high school in Texas with the second highest number of students making All-State. The high school in Texas with the most students was Houston School of Performing and Visual Arts, a school dedicated to the arts. If you want your kids to be equipped with the tools to succeed anywhere and be on par with kids from the top high schools around the country, Lubbock High is the place for them to go. It amazes me that not more people take advantage of this superb, free education and would rather shell out money for private school education in town. My word of advice is to save this money for college instead!

Lubbock High is the best Academic high school in Lubbock. This High School offers Pre AP, AP and IB classes. This spring they had 420 students pass the AP exams. That was more than the other three high schools combined!!

I love this school it is the best high school I have gone too. It is so diverse and has really good teachers and AP courses

As a family, we all hated Lubbock. However, Lubbock High School provided our son an excellent education, preparing him extremely well for higher education. He may have had equally good results elsewhere, but to be honest I doubt it. Great AP classes, decent teachers, and good counselors.

We were dissappointed in Lubbock High. The population is so high they are not able to manage the students well. The students have to wait a very long time to talk with counselors who really do not help them in preparing for college. Parents have to guess on how the dual credit works and they do not offer as many dual credit courses some of the other high schools. The diversity is great and they have great electives. The AP classes are good, but, only if your student can learn on their own.

Last modified Lubbock High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.