Harmony Science Academy (Lubbock) 5

Posted May 09, 2014
This school is great and working great for my daughters (one in 1st grade, one in 5th grade), they are both getting a good education. My daughters have been at this school for 2 years and are doing really well. Both of our children are happy - love it here; they love going to school in the morning. I was able to take a look round the school at lesson time and was really impressed with the rapport the teachers have with the students and with the general standard of behavior. In grades 6-12, each student assigned a Google Chromebook, allowed to take it home. Most of all, we appreciate the excellent academic standards offered and maintained by the school and we would certainly recommend Harmony Science Academy Lubbock to anyone looking to provide their children with an excellent all-round educational experience.

Posted October 30, 2012
Here's the deal. You get out of this school what you are willing to put in. I have worked at this school and have had my kids there. The school is designed for academic excellence. If your kid puts in the effort, they will excel. However, they also have to have numbers to operate. There are a few bad seeds in the school. You will find them everywhere. If and when Harmony takes a stronger stance in getting the bad seeds out, I think this school will work the way it does in Houston and other places. Eventually, if enough kids that want to be there enroll, then you will find that this school is an incredible option to public school. I still have a son there. The smaller class sizes help him focus on his studies. One teacher we could do without, but you can't win everything. The bottom line... if you can get in, do it. Eventually there will be enough good kids in there where they can turn away the problem kids.

Posted August 21, 2012
I wonder if the two former teachers that submitted reviews would have done so it they had not been fired. It would seem that the two teachers would fit into the category of disgruntled former employees. My child attends Harmony and flourishes there where as before Harmony the opposite was true. They have some really great teacher and some not so great like any other school. The only complaint that I have is it seems a bit unorganized at times. Harmony may not be for every child, but for mine it the only thing.

Posted August 01, 2012
I would not recommend this school to anyone. I taught there for a year and was fired because there were too many potty accidents in my class. The HEAD principal who is Turkish told me this. I will never teach there again and do not recommend it to anybody looking to put there child in this school. The administration does not support what the teachers say; they believe only what the parents say because they want the school to be big in NUMBERS.....they only care about how many students are in the school and not about the education.

Harmony Science Academy (Lubbock) 2

Posted March 28, 2012
My son has attended this school for the 2011-12 school year and it will me his only year to attend. The post that mention disorganized and lack of communication hit it on the head. My son states that his teacher does scream and yell at them as I have also heard other students say. Please look for other schools before enrolling in this one.

Harmony Science Academy (Lubbock) 5

Posted January 30, 2012
I am a current parent at Harmony and I have only good things to say about this school. There are excellent academic programs. The teachers are very encouraging and the environment is great. They really bring out the best in all their students and create in them a desire to learn and to really enjoy it. I highly recommend it to any parents considering education.

Posted September 22, 2011
Please do yourself and your children a favor and do not send them to this school or any other Harmony schools. I guarantee that you will regret it. There is a complete lack of communication; it doesn't matter how many times you ask the counselors or staff to do something for your child. It will never get done. The Turkish teachers cannot teach and their accents make it hard to understand anything. Nothing is ever organized. Overall, Harmony schools are worse than any public school that you will find.

Posted August 01, 2011
I am currently a teacher at HSA and have been since it opened. The first couple of years were rough (as are most schools when they first open) but it has been much smoother the last few years. As with any school we have to have foreign language classes...Spanish and Turkish are the two offered at HSA at this time. That is no different than other schools offering German or French. While there are Turkish administrators, there are also American women administrators. The school has to follow the same rules that public schools do as far as TAKS/STAAR testing. Rather than just listening to waht disgruntled parents and teachers who weren't rehired, come on out and take a look for yourself. There are no more problems in Harmony than Cooper, Frenship or LISD . Every school has kinks to work out and ours are getting worked out just fine. Please don't take my word for it, come on out and see what we we are like!

Posted July 25, 2011
We toured the school earlier this year, and were stunned by what we saw and heard. Despite the fact there was a tour going on, teachers were screaming (yes, SCREAMING) at classrooms and at students in the halls, in front of administrators. The teachers were never admonished, nor were we told it would be handled. It was treated as though this was status quo. We left, and will NEVER go back.

Posted July 23, 2011
I taught at Harmony for one year and I would NEVER send my children there. Why? 1) Lack of Communication. The administration is severely disorganized and communicate very poorly with everyone. 2) Unqualified administration and teachers. The administration is predominately Turkish and not qualified for their positions. Many teachers have no degree in education and absolutely no experience! 3) Children aren't put first. We teachers begged for a counselor because our students were struggling, but the administration refused to comply because it was "not required by the state." 4) Over-Testing. Harmony advertises that it is an "Exemplary School," but the test scores are actually very low. They had FOUR Mock TAKS tests in addition to the regular TAKS schedule last year to compensate. 5) Turkish agenda. They have Turkish as a foreign language,they require teachers to enter students in the Turkish Olympiad every year, and they hire a LOT of teachers from Turkish-speaking countries. 6) Poor science education. Despite advertising themselves as a science school, the facilities are of much poorer quality than most public schools. Students do more worksheets than experiments.

Harmony Science Academy (Lubbock)
1516 53rd Street, Lubbock, TX  79412
Last modified Harmony Science Academy (Lubbock) is a Charter school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Harmony Science Academy (Lubbock) Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top