Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Fantastic school. Smaller than some of the nearby HS but that is a plus IMO.

After an exhaustive search, we moved across the country specifically so our children could attend Lovejoy. Our high expectations were not only met, but have been consistently exceeded. The instruction is excellent with the highest caliber of staff and a supportive Administration. The HS is large enough to offer a variety of quality extracurricular activities yet small enough that students are not lost in the masses. The devotion to top-notch athletics is impressive, particularly for a school this size. The District Administration is available, dedicated, professional and strategic with immediate and long-term decisions. Parent participation is impressive and positive. My children, even after such a dramatic move, are happy in their new environment, well-received by their peers, acknowledged for their efforts, appropriately challenged to be their personal best and supported in their weaknesses. We highly recommend LISD. - edited 2015 - what a great success 9 years later. We have never regretted our move to LISD. Your children will get out of this school what they put in to it. All the support and opportunities are there, but it all starts at home. Most families are so dedicated here and the peer group is great.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Most are excellent teachers who go above and beyond with your children. Like everywhere, there are a few who are just bizzare, but that's life. I'd rather have my students learn to cope with them while they are still living at home and have a home support network than all teachers being perfect, then my kids go out in the world to find the world isn't perfect. I liked the caliber and heart of most teachers.

Amount of homework: Agree

Given that the student profile includes "being well-rounded" I felt it was enough and bordered on too much at times. My kids had a rule for themselves. If they were not done by 11PM, they would go to bed anyway. LHS has started a new way of teaching where the kids watch the lecture at home, then do the homework in class. My kids liked that because they could get the help they needed in class. It really is up to the kids to want to preview and review. LHS taught my kids how to study and how to use their time efficiently.

Develops character: Strongly agree

I think this is a cultural issue that begins in the home. If you don't take responsibility to teach fairness and integrity at home, how can the school ever do that? The school works to encourage integrity and fairness characteristics in its students. i saw this best in how they encouraged my children to work through their challenges under the guidance of caring and professional staff toward and outcome that is fair to all.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

As I have said for the most part I am very happy with the quality of the teachers. It is frustrating though to see the really good ones leave for other school districts because of the constraints and the terrible employer work environment they have been placed under. Most have done a very good job despite their obstacles in the way.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Virtually no rigor in the school. Math homework can be done on the bus before they get home. Half the time it is multiple choice math questions. This is 6th grade math. They never learn the Multiplication table and they have thrown penmanship out the door and do not teach it. It is very frustrating as a parent to watch them send about 5 minutes of math homework home and try and get your kid to do more . They feel that they don't have to or the teacher would have given them more. Zero rigor

Develops character: Disagree

The Superintendent and the trustees Implemented a ZAP program Zeros aren't permitted and they literally will not allow a student to fail. Once the the kids figure out what this program is they play it like a fiddle. It promotes sloth and dishonesty. They even let kids retake test they bombed out on . I have even heard some kids bragging about just taking the test to bomb it to find out what is on it just to retake it and ace it. The grade inflation against other schools is about 12 points, A full letter grade . We currently have the teachers leaving in droves because of this policy . The Teachers care and the Super forces them to apply this policy. This policy is nothing more than a keep the parents off the butts of the Admin. The Students see though all of it. Its literally a joke to them . Cheating when caught is not given hardly any punishment. I know of one girl caught plagiarizing her paper and instead of a zero she was told to do it over correctly. No consequences what so ever.

We purchased land and built in the Lovejoy school district. We were excited about the vision for the school district and the opportunities we felt our children would enjoy. I heard the negatives about the administration, teachers and coaches but chose to brush them aside. I wish I would have listened. Nepotism is an issue with this school district. The administration thinks it is their job to tell you how to discipline your children and to teach them to conform. They do not have the skills to teach children who need direction. Their motto is beat them down until they submit to the schools way of doing things. Some of the teachers are completely unqualified. Both of my kids had low self-esteem because they were having so many issues learning the class work. I have paid tutors to teach my kids chemistry, algebra and calculus because they didn t understand a thing the teachers were telling them. Yet after just a short time in tutoring they understood the material perfectly and it improved their self-esteem. If you want the full story ask a former teacher. They have nothing good to say either. I would not recommend this school district to anyone.

In Lovejoy high school everything seems to be great, the cafeteria falls short of any good expectations. When I walk into the cafeteria, I go to the grill line and buy a chicken tender meal consisting of three chicken tenders, three sides and a drink. Neither the quantity nor quality is worth the hefty price of $5.30 cents. Not only is this meal s quality not good, but the portions are even worse. When I eat at the cafeteria I pray that I might get full from such small portions and the price is so high for so little I might as well burn my wallet. I would understand why the price is so high if they gave you more than 4 chicken strips, but they give you a small portion of 3. Now about the taste, for example I ll talk about the chicken sandwich, the sandwich is drowned with grease and the taste will have you drowning the sandwich in ketchup in order for it to cover the taste. I bought a normal lunch and asked how much it coast and they told me it was $5.30, but when I went to the school s cafeteria website the price was $3.50. For $5 I can buy a $5 foot long from subway which is healthier and is a bigger portion.

Last modified Lovejoy High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.