Lucas, TX
Students enrolled: 1,186

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted June 18, 2015
As I have said for the most part I am very happy with the quality of the teachers. It is frustrating though to see the really good ones leave for other school districts because of the constraints and the terrible employer work environment they have been placed under. Most have done a very good job despite their obstacles in the way.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted June 18, 2015
Virtually no rigor in the school. Math homework can be done on the bus before they get home. Half the time it is multiple choice math questions. This is 6th grade math. They never learn the Multiplication table and they have thrown penmanship out the door and do not teach it. It is very frustrating as a parent to watch them send about 5 minutes of math homework home and try and get your kid to do more . They feel that they don't have to or the teacher would have given them more. Zero rigor

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted June 18, 2015
As I have said the ZAP program has sucked all that out from the students. They do not have to work hard when they can just take test over and replace their failing grade with a new one. I was even told by a teacher that she could not allow any zeros on my middle child's daily grades that she had to make them up and a grad placed in their. Literally not give a zero on a daily assignment for a homework assignment that was 6 weeks late. I have heard the Super say on more than one occasion that "at Lovejoy we won't allow a student to fail". Most the parents believe that to mean work with the kid till he or she has achieved. In reality he is talking about gift grading. This one item is so fundamental to learning. I have said many times because they won't allow the student to fail they actually are stealing the student ability to actually really earn real achievement.

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted June 18, 2015
They make efforts in this , but when they see and here how the school has treated its favorite teachers , it negates anything they may have achieved.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted June 18, 2015
They do make the effort. I have seen many class assignments that have promoted this.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted June 18, 2015
The Superintendent and the trustees Implemented a ZAP program Zeros aren't permitted and they literally will not allow a student to fail. Once the the kids figure out what this program is they play it like a fiddle. It promotes sloth and dishonesty. They even let kids retake test they bombed out on . I have even heard some kids bragging about just taking the test to bomb it to find out what is on it just to retake it and ace it. The grade inflation against other schools is about 12 points, A full letter grade . We currently have the teachers leaving in droves because of this policy . The Teachers care and the Super forces them to apply this policy. This policy is nothing more than a keep the parents off the butts of the Admin. The Students see though all of it. Its literally a joke to them . Cheating when caught is not given hardly any punishment. I know of one girl caught plagiarizing her paper and instead of a zero she was told to do it over correctly. No consequences what so ever.

Lovejoy High School 1

Posted December 04, 2014
We purchased land and built in the Lovejoy school district. We were excited about the vision for the school district and the opportunities we felt our children would enjoy. I heard the negatives about the administration, teachers and coaches but chose to brush them aside. I wish I would have listened. Nepotism is an issue with this school district. The administration thinks it is their job to tell you how to discipline your children and to teach them to conform. They do not have the skills to teach children who need direction. Their motto is beat them down until they submit to the schools way of doing things. Some of the teachers are completely unqualified. Both of my kids had low self-esteem because they were having so many issues learning the class work. I have paid tutors to teach my kids chemistry, algebra and calculus because they didn t understand a thing the teachers were telling them. Yet after just a short time in tutoring they understood the material perfectly and it improved their self-esteem. If you want the full story ask a former teacher. They have nothing good to say either. I would not recommend this school district to anyone.
6 people found this helpful

Posted October 31, 2014
In Lovejoy high school everything seems to be great, the cafeteria falls short of any good expectations. When I walk into the cafeteria, I go to the grill line and buy a chicken tender meal consisting of three chicken tenders, three sides and a drink. Neither the quantity nor quality is worth the hefty price of $5.30 cents. Not only is this meal s quality not good, but the portions are even worse. When I eat at the cafeteria I pray that I might get full from such small portions and the price is so high for so little I might as well burn my wallet. I would understand why the price is so high if they gave you more than 4 chicken strips, but they give you a small portion of 3. Now about the taste, for example I ll talk about the chicken sandwich, the sandwich is drowned with grease and the taste will have you drowning the sandwich in ketchup in order for it to cover the taste. I bought a normal lunch and asked how much it coast and they told me it was $5.30, but when I went to the school s cafeteria website the price was $3.50. For $5 I can buy a $5 foot long from subway which is healthier and is a bigger portion.

Posted March 26, 2014
I am a graduate from Lovejoy High School, and I started in LISD when I was in third grade. Today I am a junior in college, and have been very successful. It makes me skeptical when I read all the negative reviews about Lovejoy. Since the start of the high school I have heard negative things being said about the students, the education, and the teachers, which amazes me. Lovejoy is not a bad school district, it is a small one. Now that being said, you are going to experience the problems of a small school district. From my observation and experience in the district (10 years), Lovejoy has been great overall. Lovejoy is a school, and like any school, or any other experience in life, you only get as much out of it as you put in. Yes there are going to be some bad experiences, but that is the high school experience. Nobody has a perfect time in high school, and yeah, if you only focus on the bad then the experience as a whole is going to seem bad. If you put in work and try to have a good time, then Lovejoy will be a great school.

Posted March 23, 2014
We are very pleased with our decision to move to Lovejoy four years ago. We have found the district leadership, teachers and facilities to be all of top quality. The small classes and wide array of academic and extra curricular opportunities create a great environment for the students. Our two children are not sports-oriented, which is not a problem here; although there are many sports available, athletics do not have an outsize role. Our son is able to take a full set of GT classes, and both our son and daughter started taking AP classes as sophomores. The culture supports excellence in all undertakings, but every teacher and staff member we've dealt with has been willing to go the distance to provide assistance whenever it has been requested.
3 people found this helpful

2350 Estates Parkway, Lucas, TX  75002
Last modified Lovejoy High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lovejoy High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top