Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I heard about Horizon Montessori (McAllen campus) through a mutual friend. Brought my two older children from public school & later brought my youngest. WORST DECISION EVER!!!!!! Brought them from public school but the amount of children in each class was insane. Let me explain... I had my children in this school for 2 years because I wanted to give HM the benefit of the doubt. I figured the teachers & my children needed to get adjusted. That never happened on the teachers end. I never received an email/phone/text unless my oldest son didn't turn in something or he was having trouble in a subject. The second month in,I wanted to meet up w/ his teachers because yes I am that parent that IS involved in their childs education. All they told me was that he was a sweet child & was well mannered. "ok well yes I understand that but how is he doing academic wise"?....oh he's doing great, was the response I would get. I should've said in the beginning of this review that I am a past educator myself & I knew my son was NOT grasping what was being taught to him. I expressed my concerns & was told I had nothing to worry about. Long story short...I set up the monthly meetings w/ his teachers...not them...& every single meeting was the same..he's doing good. in between all this I hired a private tutor & my husband & myself worked w/ our son. Two months before school was going to end, I THEN get notified that he will more than likely be retained!!!!! Same thing happened w/ my daughter ....both years!!! After that, I just let them finish the school year & yanked them out! My point is is that..i know my children were not the brightest of the bunch but they did try & that's all I asked them to do. I feel in my personal case, they didn't want to help my children. My son would cry after school because of how embarrassed he was that he didn't know the answer. He would tell me "mom why cant I understand..whats wrong w/ me". There was only 1 teacher there that deserves all the credit in the world for being wonderful...Mr Lopez (4th grade reading) He is by far the best educator I have ever met!!!!!!! I don't feel as if the teachers really cared if my children learned or not. They were just there for the paycheck! Choose another school...PLEASE!!!!!

Amount of homework: Disagree

I never understood why they sent so much homework. Its like..what on earth do they do for the 8 hours their there. Is all that homework really necessary? I do believe they should bring some, but when you have 3 children & homework takes a little over 2 hours w/ all of them..it takes a toll on you & them!!

My kids went to a public school in the area which had been considered "THE best," however I was consistently disappointed by the bullying going on, lack of attention from teachers, and by poor responses to my complaint even after reaching out to the board. Horizon Montessori offers a great balance. The staff are all very attentive and my boys when asked both say they would never want to be elsewhere. The first few days at pickup were hectic but now that everyone new got into a rhythm, it's perfect. I feel that my children are safe there and am glad they have rules in place to ensure that.

My only complaint is that the highest rating i can give here is a 5.This school deserves 10 stars.I ,and my daughtet LOVE this school. The teachers,staff and everyone is absolutely wonderful.My daughter used to hate going to school,would even go hysterical,since she has been going here,she actually looks forward to school.I love you guys.You're all just wonderful.

First Day:I got there at 7:40 am waited in line for 30 minutes to leave my son at the door of the building (you are not allowed to walk inside the school, doesn't matter if its his first or last day). One person will receive your child, a second person will walk your child halfway to the classroom, and a third person will finish walking him To his classroom. They never asked for my son's birth ert, ss card, nor immunization card. Pick Up - waited from 3:13 pm until 3:50 in a huge crowd of parents yelling their child's name, under 100F degrees. His first year. No id asked. Last person that worked at that school to see my son was 10 feet away from me (in front of me was 8 parents). It was those 8 parents that were gently moving my son my way so he could get to me. Second Day - A kid stepped on my son's hand, and pulled his tag from his shirt. My son told the teacher. What did she say/do? Nothing, she was busy. On my way to the office, a mother was crying because his son's teacher said that her child never got to the classroom, so she didn't know where he was at. Overall Disorganized.

I was very happy when my son entered preschool since the McAllen campus had a great curriculum. By the time my son was in 2nd grade things were getting so bad. The "Montessori" name should be only for pre-k and kinder. The owner did not want to buy more Montessori materials for the upper grades because they are too expensive. The teacher turnover should be a sign that they are not being treated well. They had to buy their own materials and even the teachers with more seniority had to give their own materials to the new teachers because the school did not provide any new materials, whether is was for the Montessori system or the regular. the school supply list was way too much, parents even had to provide paper for the copy machine. What started was a great educational concept was ruined by being looked more like a business. The teachers were good, dedicated and caring. I would not recommend this school unless the public school your kid belongs to is ABSOLUTELY terrible. Classes are overcrowded and understaffed. Very disappointed parent

It is important to be truthful here and these "after school activities" are not free in the McAllen school. They charge the same rate as outside programs (or even more) while using the school's facilities. Attended today's info session and it was a mess, the nurse's office looked like it been in a war zone. There was a "number system" that was abandoned after 15 min because of lack of order. The require the purchase of uniforms in low quality fabrics. The list is growing, but still more to come in the next couple of days. So far extremely disappointed.

Having previously attended a Montessori school out of the area, we anticipated an open, modern approach to continue educating our son and have not been disappointed with the H1 campus. Management and educators are supportive of students and work in tandem with engaged parents. Our son is happy, receives greater teacher to student ratio attention, and is developing life/social skills lacking in typical public school settings.

Both my children attend Horizon in McAllen. And I have to say my husband and I are very pleased with the level of education and practical experience they are recieving at the school. My daughter started attending there only one year after its doors opened, and I do have to admit there were some issues that needed to be worked out, but I would have expected that in any school that was that new. We choose to stay and help the school become a success, and it has paid off. My daugher is well above the academic level of other children in the same grade that attend our local public school, and she is happy. My son just started K, and I excpect we will have the same positive experience with him.

Very disappointed with this school. Academically, it needs to focus more of the child's need for improvement instead of the little things. Never will I consider a Horizon Montessori school for my child. Really, a disgrace to educational institutes around south TX.

Last modified Horizon Montessori is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.