Horizon Montessori 5

Posted October 31, 2014
My kids went to a public school in the area which had been considered "THE best," however I was consistently disappointed by the bullying going on, lack of attention from teachers, and by poor responses to my complaint even after reaching out to the board. Horizon Montessori offers a great balance. The staff are all very attentive and my boys when asked both say they would never want to be elsewhere. The first few days at pickup were hectic but now that everyone new got into a rhythm, it's perfect. I feel that my children are safe there and am glad they have rules in place to ensure that.

Horizon Montessori 5

Posted September 18, 2014
My only complaint is that the highest rating i can give here is a 5.This school deserves 10 stars.I ,and my daughtet LOVE this school. The teachers,staff and everyone is absolutely wonderful.My daughter used to hate going to school,would even go hysterical,since she has been going here,she actually looks forward to school.I love you guys.You're all just wonderful.

Posted August 22, 2014
First Day:I got there at 7:40 am waited in line for 30 minutes to leave my son at the door of the building (you are not allowed to walk inside the school, doesn't matter if its his first or last day). One person will receive your child, a second person will walk your child halfway to the classroom, and a third person will finish walking him To his classroom. They never asked for my son's birth ert, ss card, nor immunization card. Pick Up - waited from 3:13 pm until 3:50 in a huge crowd of parents yelling their child's name, under 100F degrees. His first year. No id asked. Last person that worked at that school to see my son was 10 feet away from me (in front of me was 8 parents). It was those 8 parents that were gently moving my son my way so he could get to me. Second Day - A kid stepped on my son's hand, and pulled his tag from his shirt. My son told the teacher. What did she say/do? Nothing, she was busy. On my way to the office, a mother was crying because his son's teacher said that her child never got to the classroom, so she didn't know where he was at. Overall Disorganized.

Posted August 10, 2014
I was very happy when my son entered preschool since the McAllen campus had a great curriculum. By the time my son was in 2nd grade things were getting so bad. The "Montessori" name should be only for pre-k and kinder. The owner did not want to buy more Montessori materials for the upper grades because they are too expensive. The teacher turnover should be a sign that they are not being treated well. They had to buy their own materials and even the teachers with more seniority had to give their own materials to the new teachers because the school did not provide any new materials, whether is was for the Montessori system or the regular. the school supply list was way too much, parents even had to provide paper for the copy machine. What started was a great educational concept was ruined by being looked more like a business. The teachers were good, dedicated and caring. I would not recommend this school unless the public school your kid belongs to is ABSOLUTELY terrible. Classes are overcrowded and understaffed. Very disappointed parent

Posted August 06, 2013
It is important to be truthful here and these "after school activities" are not free in the McAllen school. They charge the same rate as outside programs (or even more) while using the school's facilities. Attended today's info session and it was a mess, the nurse's office looked like it been in a war zone. There was a "number system" that was abandoned after 15 min because of lack of order. The require the purchase of uniforms in low quality fabrics. The list is growing, but still more to come in the next couple of days. So far extremely disappointed.

Horizon Montessori 4

Posted April 19, 2012
Having previously attended a Montessori school out of the area, we anticipated an open, modern approach to continue educating our son and have not been disappointed with the H1 campus. Management and educators are supportive of students and work in tandem with engaged parents. Our son is happy, receives greater teacher to student ratio attention, and is developing life/social skills lacking in typical public school settings.

Horizon Montessori 4

Posted August 25, 2010
Both my children attend Horizon in McAllen. And I have to say my husband and I are very pleased with the level of education and practical experience they are recieving at the school. My daughter started attending there only one year after its doors opened, and I do have to admit there were some issues that needed to be worked out, but I would have expected that in any school that was that new. We choose to stay and help the school become a success, and it has paid off. My daugher is well above the academic level of other children in the same grade that attend our local public school, and she is happy. My son just started K, and I excpect we will have the same positive experience with him.

Horizon Montessori 0

Posted March 24, 2010
Very disappointed with this school. Academically, it needs to focus more of the child's need for improvement instead of the little things. Never will I consider a Horizon Montessori school for my child. Really, a disgrace to educational institutes around south TX.

Posted December 16, 2009
i can't tell you how disapointed i was with this school!!! i took my child out of their kinder class mid year. my shild would come home with anywhere from 5 to 15 paper airplanes in his backpack when i questioned him on why he just told me how bored he was in class. that the only thing they would do was watch movies and play. now that i have taken him out and moved him not only does he seem happier but know he is learning. when he got to his new school he could not even read (though he could after leaving pre-k) at the new school they even questioned what he had learned because, he was so far behind the rest of the class. i'm soooo happy that i moved him!!!!!

Horizon Montessori 0

Posted October 04, 2009
I have been very pleased with the education my children are receiving. I also feel the school is very open to parents that want to contribute in making the school fantastic. Students also have a wonderful array of after-school activities ( guitar, piano, dance, basketball, Spanish) to choose from.

Horizon Montessori
221 North Main Street, McAllen, TX  78501
Last modified Horizon Montessori is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Horizon Montessori Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top