Gonzalez Elementary School 1

Posted September 29, 2013
Although, there are some very good teachers to be found, the principle is a terrible example of a principle. Everyone tip toes around her and she is very impersonal and choose and picks who she cares to give the time of day to. We had a very hard time ever getting her to return a call or even see us. All functions and fundraisers are fully funded by parents, putting a financial strain on some parents. I was completely appalled to learn that the day she discovered a child and their family had moved to a different district, she had him withdrawn on that very same day and did not give the parent any notice whatsoever. In my opinion this is an educator who truly does not have their child's interest at heart. Are there any good points to this school! yes! but the stress and overbearing attitude and indifference of the principle make it almost unbearable!

Posted July 07, 2013
You cannot find a better school in McAllen. Our two kids attended from pre-K through 5th. Teachers are excellent and the principal is connected to every aspect. We have now moved from the area and are in one of the best districts in Texas. Our children could have not have had a better start on their education process than what they got at Gonzalez. Sincere thanks to all of the staff and teachers there. Keep up the great work!!!

Posted May 10, 2013
My children attended this school for several years. I was really pleased with most of the teachers, coaches and staff. The additional IB curriculum was good - not as broad as what I read about before attending the school. Parental involvement was fantastic, in my experience. When Spanish language instruction had to be cut due to funding, a parent volunteered her time each week to continue the instruction. Homework was challenging, there were loads of projects, and the extra-curricular activities were fun and varied. My impression of the difference between this school and other schools in the valley is that Gonzalez is making an effort to produce leaders and critical thinkers, not just good workers who can pass a standardized test.

Gonzalez Elementary School 1

Posted December 19, 2012
the notion that this is the best elementary school is simply a poor reflection on how horrible the other public schools here are. This is one of the worst public education systems in the country and it shows. As with most other public schools in the area, they fail the Texas State end of the year examinations. Which is why the school has mandatory tutoring sessions and some of the longest elementary school hours outside of inner city public schools, school pre-k to 5th grade is from 7:45-3:30, which is extended to 7:45-4:15 on tutoring days. I do not recommend this school. Also, at 911 students over half the classes are in portables. Worst public elementary school experience ever. Be careful. If you don t have to move here don t. The principle was placed on administrative leave last year for an altercation with a student, and was not allowed back for months. She also target particular students and picks on them. They are also driven by greed, not education. This is a genuine warning from one concerned parent to another. I am not sure what your options are but beware this school. Beware, this south Texas education system honestly.

Posted May 10, 2011
My son has gone to Gonzalez for 3 years and this is an AWESOME school..We are moving to Virginia this summer, and I sure hope we can find a school even close to Gonzalez..The teachers are great, they are very friendly. and they have a great principal...

Posted September 17, 2009
We moved from Mexico two years ago, and we were worried about the school. We have two kids, and they are the most happy kids in the school, they have learned a lot of things, the teachers are very good, and the principal is taking care of everything.

Posted September 16, 2009
Gonzalez is a school that goes above and beyond. The teachers and the staff are quite honestly and simply the best I've had the privilege to know. The education is top notch. As a first grader, my child had the option to learn Chinese (Mandarin), advanced Spanish, Russian, and Arabic; beginner Spanish is a basic class the students take. The instructors keep the classes and interactions personal and accessible to both parents and students. One of the ways in which they do this is by giving parents their personal cell number(s) and encouraging us to call anytime for any reason. There are art classes, drama classes, choir, etc. Gonzalez is also the first and only IB elementary school in McAllen, perhaps the valley though I am not sure about that. The Principal is active in all things that go on with the school, including but not limited to the most seemingly remedial tasks such as directing traffic after school and helping the children into their respective vehicles. I could go on and on but this school really speaks for itself. I highly recommend this school to anyone.

Gonzalez Elementary School 0

Posted May 25, 2009
Gonzalez Elementary has an amazing philosophy for all grade levels....my son attended 3 years and he was exposed to awesome teachers.....the principal and all teachers work diligently to provide the best education for all children. I highly recommend Gonzalez to anyone whom wants an exceptional environment for their child. Go Grizzlies!!!

Gonzalez Elementary School 0

Posted August 18, 2008
My son went to Gonzalez for 2 years... I loved it.. I moved back to California but I truly miss this school and staff... Ms. Wagner and Mrs. Hernandez are great teachers... Truly recommend this school...

Posted October 24, 2007

Gonzalez Elementary School
201 East Martin Avenue, McAllen, TX  78504
Last modified Gonzalez Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gonzalez Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top