Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted November 09, 2015
I believe this school is poor in every matter. The attitude towards the students and parents.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted November 09, 2015
My son gets treated differently because he comes in from another school. His homework is correct but he grades are poor.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted November 09, 2015
No caring, compassion or empathy. My son went through surgery and the staff rubbed in my face how the nurse had to go out of their way and baby sit him. No caring what so ever. Forgot to give medication to my son after school

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted November 09, 2015
Discrimination against incoming new student and parents from other schools. No honesty what so ever

Posted September 18, 2015
The staff is extremely rude. The drop off of my two children is getting ridiculous. I've been yelled at. Told that I'm not allowed out if my car. When I called to talk to someone I got blown off. The teachers don't give you a straight answer on why the kids scores are so low. Very disappointed. Just moved here and the schools back home are way better. They don't even smile at this school! I'm looking into getting my children out ASAP.

Posted September 29, 2013
Although, there are some very good teachers to be found, the principle is a terrible example of a principle. Everyone tip toes around her and she is very impersonal and choose and picks who she cares to give the time of day to. We had a very hard time ever getting her to return a call or even see us. All functions and fundraisers are fully funded by parents, putting a financial strain on some parents. I was completely appalled to learn that the day she discovered a child and their family had moved to a different district, she had him withdrawn on that very same day and did not give the parent any notice whatsoever. In my opinion this is an educator who truly does not have their child's interest at heart. Are there any good points to this school! yes! but the stress and overbearing attitude and indifference of the principle make it almost unbearable!

Posted July 07, 2013
You cannot find a better school in McAllen. Our two kids attended from pre-K through 5th. Teachers are excellent and the principal is connected to every aspect. We have now moved from the area and are in one of the best districts in Texas. Our children could have not have had a better start on their education process than what they got at Gonzalez. Sincere thanks to all of the staff and teachers there. Keep up the great work!!!

Posted May 10, 2013
My children attended this school for several years. I was really pleased with most of the teachers, coaches and staff. The additional IB curriculum was good - not as broad as what I read about before attending the school. Parental involvement was fantastic, in my experience. When Spanish language instruction had to be cut due to funding, a parent volunteered her time each week to continue the instruction. Homework was challenging, there were loads of projects, and the extra-curricular activities were fun and varied. My impression of the difference between this school and other schools in the valley is that Gonzalez is making an effort to produce leaders and critical thinkers, not just good workers who can pass a standardized test.

Posted December 19, 2012
the notion that this is the best elementary school is simply a poor reflection on how horrible the other public schools here are. This is one of the worst public education systems in the country and it shows. As with most other public schools in the area, they fail the Texas State end of the year examinations. Which is why the school has mandatory tutoring sessions and some of the longest elementary school hours outside of inner city public schools, school pre-k to 5th grade is from 7:45-3:30, which is extended to 7:45-4:15 on tutoring days. I do not recommend this school. Also, at 911 students over half the classes are in portables. Worst public elementary school experience ever. Be careful. If you don t have to move here don t. The principle was placed on administrative leave last year for an altercation with a student, and was not allowed back for months. She also target particular students and picks on them. They are also driven by greed, not education. This is a genuine warning from one concerned parent to another. I am not sure what your options are but beware this school. Beware, this south Texas education system honestly.

Posted May 10, 2011
My son has gone to Gonzalez for 3 years and this is an AWESOME school..We are moving to Virginia this summer, and I sure hope we can find a school even close to Gonzalez..The teachers are great, they are very friendly. and they have a great principal...

201 East Martin Avenue, McAllen, TX  78504
Last modified Gonzalez Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gonzalez Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top