Posted August 12, 2014
My child has attended Our Lady of Sorrows school since Pre-K 4 and has loved every minute of it. All of the students take care of each other and treat each other with respect and love, like family. I am so glad we have a new principal as of last year. Ms. De Leon has made many positive changes to the school. I worry about where I will send my child after 8th grade.

Our Lady Of Sorrows School 4

Posted August 02, 2014
I was new to OLSS this 2013-2014 school year to the 8th grade and really loved it! As many schools it has a few flaws. Most of the teachers are great! Only one or two that many students had issues with as well as I did. In the other hand the rest of the teachers and staff are nice and welcoming. If you need someone to talk to the teachers are there for you. Even though I only attend one year and didn't get to finish it was an awesome experience! I truly learned what real friendships are all about and felt stronger as an individual. My moral standards feel much better as well as my self-esteem. 8th graders as well as 7th and 6th graders do get a lot of projects. If you are lazy or a procrastinator you won't make it. As for the athletic department it still needs work a swim team would be great! If your kid is in need of help to getting to know who they really are as a person this school is great for them to develop their self image. As for the demerits it does get a little ridiculous sometimes the school just needs to work on a few things.

Our Lady Of Sorrows School 4

Posted December 25, 2013
I am an OLSS graduate, and I have to say that this school is pretty cool. The students begin to bond with each other when they are young, and the K-3 program up to first grade is amazing. In elementary, kids might have a so-so education. In junior high: best years of my education. ACE teachers are really cool, and I believe we still have one. I have been in OLS since first grade with good grades, but I can't help but notice they are nice to the wealthy families. Field trips and events... a bit too much, fun, and yet expensive. Religion classes become fun, and boring classes become interesting. I am now in high school, and most of the concepts are complicated, yet when I was in OLSS, we learned the same thing in a simpler way (in a good way), meaning I'm ahead of my class. In junior high, students are required to take at least Spanish 1 and 2, knocking two years of Spanish in high school. I took Advanced Tech for my eighth grade year, and it really helps. This school is good in technology, and they encourage students in typing (good skill). All in all, this school's performance is better than what I hear from my public school friends.

Posted October 29, 2013
I have been a parent at OLS for 6 years now. This is a wonderful school! And although sadly our last principal ran the school down, I have to say our current one Mrs. Deleon, is amazing! She has been a part of OLS school for many years and knows what our school needs and requires. I do think that some of our teachers may be weak, but education begins and ends at home. And as for our catholic identity, our school does an excellent job!

Posted July 12, 2013
We have been at the school for several years and was very disappointed with the previous principal and the direction they took the school. However, after hearing the church hired a new principal, I had to go in for a visit and hear for myself. I had similar concerns about the staff and teachers, however I can say with great certainty that things have really changed for the better at OLSS. I am very excited for new principal and her amazing vision and knowledge of what needs to change at the school. I will be keeping all my children at OLSS!!

Posted June 26, 2013
There are many new and good changes going on with this school. They have a new principal as of June 1, 2013. There are already visible changes present and things looking very positive for the coming school year!

Our Lady Of Sorrows School 2

Posted February 24, 2013
My child has attended since pre k4 and school was great up until 2nd grade. is now in 5th grade and totally lost in math and science. They have the worst teachers after 4th grade. Especially math and science. The new principal is just terrible. . The teachers run the school and pick on students that are not their favorites. They are nice only to the wealthy. They issue demerits to some students for minor things and not to students who do bad things.

Our Lady Of Sorrows School 3

Posted May 13, 2012
Great for PK4-3. 4th grade, the teachers don't help much. 5th grade, half the teachers help and the other half get annoyed if you ask for help. I recommend PK4-5 for OLS, and then Cathey Middle School or Vanguard Academy

Posted September 25, 2010
My son is in his second year at OLSS and we all LOVE his school. The montesorri method in preschool is great because they can learn at their own pace, plus they get to interact and meet students that are up to 2 years older than them.

Our Lady Of Sorrows School 3

Posted February 12, 2009
Our children have attended OLSS for seven years. I believe that the school is great pre-K through second grade. The teachers in these levels are great. However, administration is fair. They do not handle discipline issues well and do not communicate well with the parents.

Our Lady Of Sorrows School
1100 Gumwood Avenue, McAllen, TX  78501
Last modified Our Lady Of Sorrows School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Our Lady Of Sorrows School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top