McKinney, TX

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted August 20, 2015
My daughter's teacher made the class stand outside and watch my daughter run extra laps because the teacher's feelings were hurt by a 6 year old.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted August 20, 2015
We taught our daughter not to lie. When she told the truth, she was punished

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted August 20, 2015
My daughter still has bad dreams 5 years later from the way she was bullied by her teacher

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted August 20, 2015
I suppose that a teacher bullying a 6 year old can be seen as encouraging resilience and persistence or grit, but I see it as bullying.

Posted February 26, 2015
I am saddened to see such negative things said and written about Wilmeth's staff and principal. I have two children at this school (and have for a few years) and we absolutely LOVE it! Sure, there are some teachers that have been more strict than others, but they have ALL been wonderful. The principal is fabulous. She is always present and very involved. I have found her to be excellent with the children and with the parents. WIlmeth is exactly where we want to be!

J B Wilmeth Elementary School 2

Posted February 25, 2015
In response to the teacher chastising parents for questioning the principal or anyone at the school: I am very concerned that you are teaching our children. It is our responsibility as parents to be involved and not only question the school but as Americans living in a free/democratic country to constantly question and interact. Our children should be taught that as it was how our country was founded! I am a tax paying citizen in McKinney/Collin county, with the majority of my taxes (amount the highest in the U.S.) going to public education, it is also my duty to be involved to ensure my children and others get the best possible education. Wilmeth could definitely do better by it's students, and the students should be our main concern. It is mine!

J B Wilmeth Elementary School 1

Posted February 25, 2015
Cold doesn't even begin to explain the current principal at Wilmeth. In my dealings w/her & in my opinion she is out of touch with the young lives placed in her care & in overseeing their education. She MAY be a good educator, though I have yet to see it, but she is not suited to elementary education. I have 5 children, they have attended 3 McKinney ISD schools & I recommended them all, and MIGHT reccomend Wilmeth if a different principle was at the helm. Her stance on a little girl being bullied by several boys, was appalling. Her response was in essence - we've gone a little bit overboard with this bullying issue overall & it would help the girl to toughen up a bit. Appalling! Also when I'm at the school, which is at least weekly & the principal (14-15) seems uninterested about the children at her school. It isn't a happy place; in my experience elementary school is about fostering a joy in children about school.

Posted January 15, 2015
Wilmeth is an absolutely amazing school. My oldest son attended 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade here and loved every day. My youngest started Kindergarten this year and his introduction to full day school was seamless. Both boys felt loved, invested in, and grew tremendously. They are also really great with special needs and do everything they can to ensure extra academic resources are available to those that need it. We recently moved away and it is hard to leave such a great school and staff.

Posted July 10, 2013
We've been at Wilmeth for a full year now and absolutely LOVE IT! We love the principal and have found her very easy to communicate with, always present, and genuinely passionate about her students. I find it surprising that a few of you have had such a bad experience. Our child is thriving, loves school and continues to score extremely high on all testing. Thanks, Wilmeth!!!

Posted March 10, 2013
A great school with a wonderful staff. The Wilmeth experience is something that doesn't happen at every school. It is great to have a strong Principal that loves our children and makes them all feel special. When you walk into the school you can see and enjoy a the type of education that takes place.If you want a great school for your children Wilmeth is the place.

901 La Cima Drive, McKinney, TX  75071
Last modified J B Wilmeth Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
J B Wilmeth Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top