No rating

Good Shepherd Montessori School

Private | PK-5

Living in McKinney

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $196,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted March 28, 2011

I currently have two students enrolled in GSMS and have been part of the "family" for the past three years. I have toured all the Montessori schools in McKinney and this one is definitely the star that shines. Although other schools have Montessori in their name, they do not adhere to all of the Montessori philosophy. Good Shepherd has complete works in every classroom so the child is able to fully finish every element. GSMS is also competitively priced and I feel that it is well worth every dollar we spend. I highly recommend this school.

Posted March 22, 2011

My child has began attending Good Shepherd Montessori School in the toddler program. I am constantly amazed at confident and independent he is with his knowlege and actions. He is currently in the primary department and flourishing. I am so thankful he is already developing his life long love of learning at such a young age. He loves to go to school and see his friends and teachers. His teachers are always there for him and he is secure in knowing that they love and respect him. I believe that Good Shepherd is wonderful environment for my child to learn and grow. The 100 year history of the campus and the big beautiful organic garden is the perfect atmosphere for my child to interact with nature. I researched MANY Montessori schools and felt that Good Shepherd was a classical Montessori school staying true to what Dr. Montessori herself created. It may not be the fanciest or shiniest school but I feel confident it is the truest Montessori school in the area. I completely recommend Good Shepherd to anyone who is interested in a REAL Montessori school not a glorified daycare facility.

Posted February 20, 2011

This is my family's sixth year at GSMS. What first attracted me was the peaceful environment. The teachers are focused on helping each child develop to his/her full potential academically, emotionally, physically and spiritually. The children are taught to care for themselves, their environment and others. Academically, they are encouraged to explore all the areas of learning. They cannot be "left behind" in an area where they struggle (because they will work until they have mastered each lesson), and they are not "held back" in areas where they have natural gifts or interests! Each classroom has a 3-year age span, which allows each child to experience being the youngest, the middle and the oldest. It is an incredible blessing to give each child an opportunity to gain the sense of accomplishment that comes with nurturing younger students. GSMS offers a "true" Montessori environment (with AMS-certified teachers), lovely grounds, an organic garden (frequented by all students) and an involved community, which becomes extended family! The music program and fine arts are also favorites.

Posted February 16, 2011

I had been going to GSMS for about 3-4 years, and after I left I realized how HORRIBLE this school is. I've learned more in one week than we did in a whole year. Yes, I am serious. I strongly discourage you to put your child in this school. And, what I never understood was, where does all there money go? They make alot of money each year, and I understand bills and taxes, but I never saw one new materiel there. No laptops/computers, working materiels, etc.. DO NOT PUT YOUR CHILD IN THIS SCHOOL.

Posted January 12, 2011

We love GSMS. This is our daughters third year there. When we found this school, we were looking for a Christian private school that excelled in academics. We found that & much more at GSMS. This wonderful school has exceeded all expectations. Our child has grown academically, socially, & most importantly spiritually. We could not be happier, and would wholeheartedly recommend Good Shepherd Montessori School.

Posted January 9, 2011

Our family loves Good Shepherd Montessori School! This is our son's fourth year at GSMS and our daughter's first. The teachers are highly trained in the "true" Montessori way which provides an incredible platform for the students to develop a lifelong love of learning. Another important facet to GSMS is the outstanding community that is fostered by the school leaders, the staff, and the families. It is this community that facilitates the confidence and quiet strength of the students. Over the past 5 years we have seen our children thrive both academically and socially at GSMS and most importantly they both love going to school!

Posted January 6, 2011

We chose GSMS for our daughter 5 years ago. There, she has been respected and loved, filled with confidence in her abilities - and encouraged to challenge herself. Teaching at GSMS is a true vocation and the staff is dedicated and thoughtful. We know that our daughter has been given the scaffolding she needs to navigate her future.

Posted January 5, 2011

Every classroom has experienced Montessori-accredited teachers and they know exactly how to facilitate an optimum learning environment for my daughter. Her math, language, and reading skills are well beyond her peers outside of Good Shepherd Montessori. The teachers, combined with the art, music, garden, and weekly chapel make this an ideal environment for our daughter.

Posted October 3, 2010

Excellent teachers! We have been looking for a "real" Montessori school for many months and finally found the best environment for our two children and for us. We see the difference right away! Only regret is that we didn't know that the Good Shepherd School existed and we wasted our precious time and money on other schools.

Posted September 16, 2010

I have had 2 children at Good Shepherd Montessori for the past 6 years and we love it! The environment is loving, and the teachers are excellent. This has been a very positive experience for my children after leaving public schools.

Posted May 21, 2010

Great learning environment with a big garden, a good elementary level physical education teacher, music, art and montessori method in a Christian environment.

Posted May 13, 2010

We have had three children at GSMS over the last 12 years. We have been extremely pleased with the education they have received, the loving, Christian environment, the knowledge and support of the teachers, staff and administrators. Our oldest has been in traditional education this year and was well advanced for her grade in all areas including socialization. We have been very pleased!

Posted May 10, 2010

My children attended for several years with my oldest leaving after completing 3rd grade. It was an eye opening experience to leave and to see just how behind my kids were to their public school peers. There was absolutely no creative writing as the kids just copied information that was part of the materials. My children were also behind in math as simple math concepts had never been taught by 3rd grade. It was a very disappointing experience. I would not recommend the school at any level.

Posted April 27, 2010

We have a son in primary and one in lower elementary and are very happy with the school! The teachers interact with the children at a very personal level and really get to know them. Our sons are learning things that other children their age have not even begun to study. Best of all, they enjoy their day at school!

Posted April 20, 2010

My children have attended GSMS for the past four years. The teachers are extraordinary. Their commitment to the students and each other is commendable. The children have an environment ripe for learning and development. While the outdoor environment begs for exploration, indoors the children are carefully guided in programs uniquely tailored to their individual needs/desires. We are fortunate to have found such a warm and embracing environment for our children.

Posted October 12, 2009

Montessori is a wonderful teaching methodology and Good Shepherd is a fabulous school. The teachers, campus, and parent involvement make this school leaps and bounds over other private and even other Montessori schools. I wouldn't have my child anywhere else and intend for her to stay through middle school.

Posted May 12, 2009

We have been at Good Shepherd for 5 years and LOVE it. The children get a great education, in a very comforting, christian environment. The new Middle School program is wonderful, and based on real-world, problem-solving methods. GSMS offers a very well rounded education!

Posted February 2, 2009

The toddler program is great. The primary leaves a lot to be desired. The teachers have little interaction with the children and spend very little time assisting the newer and younger kids adjust and deal with sometimes mean older children. The interaction and communication between parent and teacher is very poor. The staff is wonderful but the class room faculty has a difficult time listening and describing evens in the learning environment. I would not recommend the school.

Posted April 15, 2008

My son has been attending Good Shepherd for 4 years and we are very pleased with his progress. He is flourishing.

Posted September 6, 2006

Excellent school for primary years (3-6) and even lower elementary. I would hesitantly recommend. Upper elementary is too small and very socially undermotivating. Lower elementary teachers are caring and motivating but the enrollment of students does not allow for much social stimulation on any level. Primary classes are excellent and have my highest recommendations. Montessori teaching draws families who want a more organic experience. Sometimes those families bring a lot of problems with them.

Asian or Pacific Islander 8% 4%

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • AMS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7701 Virginia Parkway