Glen Oaks Elementary School 5

Posted August 17, 2014
My kids are attending Glean Oaks is a great school. We love it! The teachers really care about the students and parent's participation is amazing.

Glen Oaks Elementary School 2

Posted March 13, 2014
Our son attended this school for 2.5 years. When he transferred to Glen Oaks from a Montessori school, he was three grade levels ahead in reading and gifted in math. When we pulled him from Glen Oaks after 2nd grade, his reading comprehention skills had barely improved and he showed no measureable improvement in math. The staff at the school are friendly and the school feels warm and inviting. The teachers, however, are nothing special. Because our son was so far ahead when he arrived at Glen Oaks in Kinder, he was ignored. He did not need any help, you see, so all the kids that did, recieved all of the attention. He was bored to tears. The entire time he attended this school, he did not have one spelling test. I honestly cannot remember him ever telling me what he learned 'that day'. Possibly the learning begins in 3rd grade when the standerdized testing begins? The new charter school he attends has challenged him daily and after 1.5 years attending so far he is working on algebra in 4th grade and is reading young adult novels for fun. His current school also administers the STAAR test but does not teach to it.

Glen Oaks Elementary School 5

Posted July 30, 2013
Glen Oaks is a wonderful school from what we have seen and been involved with. My wife has been active in PTA and other activities and has been happy with everything she has seen. No school is perfect, but this is a very good school.

Posted June 24, 2013
I agree with the most recent comments completely. The leadership is well, terrible. If your children attend Glen Oaks and you think the school is great, well then you have never encountered an issue. Once you have a problem or an issue, your eyes will be opened. The principal and assistant principal will not be very responsive or respectful. We left Glen Oaks last year to attend another school district and it is night and day! We had one issue this year in our new school that was rectified immediately. The principal at our new school truly cares and will respond to you and your child's needs. Sadly, Glen Oaks did not do that. And I also agree that there is a big bullying problem at Glen Oaks(and sadly the worst bullies are some of the teachers!) There are a handful of amazing teachers at Glen Oaks and luckily my kids were able to be their students. But I feel so bad for some of the other children that had bullies as their teachers. And yes, this school completely teaches to the test. And then when your child excels on the big standardized test, do they receive any acknowledgement? No. All they want is their money. So glad we moved...my children are thriving more than ever now.

Posted May 06, 2013
Glen Oaks is in a beautiful community and has the benefits of extensive parental involvement. Our children attended the school under the former and present leadership. The school has declined significantly in test scores and satisfaction under the direction of the present principal. Unfortunately, nepotism is rampant in MISD which has allowed her weak, ineffective leadership, as well as several members of the teaching staff, to continue at Glen Oaks despite countless complaints for many years from families. They teach to the mediocre masses and focus strictly on standardized tests. If your child is over or under the median, do not expect anything extra. We left as soon as we could.

Posted April 08, 2013
Our children attend Glen Oaks and we could not be more disappointed in the experience they have had while there. The climate of this school is extremely negative and bullying is a serious issue. Many of the teachers are very negative with the children. There is a lot of yelling and shaming of children especially in the upper grades. There is a remarkably high focus on standardized testing and getting the scores the school needs to appear impressive to the community. Unfortuately, many of the teachers are extremely out of touch and fail to use best practices for teaching. Some do not even seem to like kids. The principal is a weak leader and is not helpful in any way when issues arise. In fact, parents who bring problems out in the open are pretty much ostracized. The community is lovely and parents are extremely involved in the school. Still, the educational environment has become so bad at Glen Oaks that we have decided to move our children to another school. Though there are a few teachers who are exceptional, in general, this climate of the school is inferior to other schools in McKinney. Proceed with caution if you choose to enroll your child here.

Glen Oaks Elementary School 4

Posted February 01, 2013
We have two children at Glen Oaks Elementary and we have been so blessed for our children to attend this school. In reference to the reviewer disappointed with the getting assistance for her child, we have had the total opposite experience. The teachers and principal at Glen Oaks have been wonderful with my ADHD child. As a working parent, my children attended private daycare until they were old enough for elementary school. My ADHD child had a terrible time at private school - the teachers and principal could care less about helping him. Private schools don't have to take difficult kids. In most cases, they tell you upfront that they can't take your child or they kick them out during the year. I hope you'll consider giving the teachers and principal at Glen Oaks another chance. They have done do much for building up my child's confidence after he was emotionally torn to pieces at private daycare.

Glen Oaks Elementary School 2

Posted January 31, 2013
My child attends this school and I would be the first to say he can be difficult. My opinion of this school is the teachers and on up the chain do not want to be bothered with children who need more attention. They want only students who excel and make the numbers look good. All the rest are pushed aside and the parents are encouraged to move them to special ed. Many of the children don't need special ed. They need a good teacher. This is not the place to find one. I feel we pay high tax dollars for this school and it is a shame we will have to carry the expense of a private school to educate our child. The only other option is to move.

Glen Oaks Elementary School 3

Posted October 21, 2010
Four of my children have attended Glen Oaks since 2004 and I have been an active parent. I consider Glen Oaks to be pretty average - not outstanding. There are many issues that I feel have been left unresolved by the principals and have gone without adequate parent communication. There seems to be a lack of administrative presence at the school. Almost all recently hired teachers are brand new to the teaching profession and only a few seem to really care about their students. Due to the high amount of parent involvement at the school, it seems that many teachers there just stop doing their jobs when a parent comes in to volunteer. They just rely on the parents to do too much. When I was a room mom, I was chewed out by a teacher (not even my child's) because she thought our class parents were not working hard enough!

Glen Oaks Elementary School 4

Posted April 09, 2010
My daughters have had a great experience at Glen Oaks. They have wonderful teachers who truly love the children. However, I haven't been very satisfied with the principal in her handling and resolving of situations. She doesn't take action. You go to her with a problem and walk away feeling like you just wasted your time. Many of the parents of Glen Oaks kids feel this way. Despite this, the education here is first rate as well as the p.e., art & music.

Glen Oaks Elementary School
6100 Glen Oaks Drive, McKinney, TX  75070
Last modified Glen Oaks Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Glen Oaks Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top