Posted May 11, 2014
The worst school I have ever seen or worked in. No leadership, very little learning - very sad!

Caldwell Elementary School 3

Posted February 02, 2014
I believe that the duel language program benefits the Spanish non English child more than the English speaking child. if a child is having difficulty with learning the basics the time they get to spend learning in English is cut in half. The fundamentals are essential to give the children a good start. I have talked with other parents whose children are feeling that they are being left behind. I am seeking out finding what help is available for these children. The teachers seem dedicated but some children are overwhelmed by the duel language program. Some studies have shown that early duel languages programs are best for advanced students and not the average student, The studies suggest that this duel start can be devastating for many students. What's the big hurry for Spanish? I think they started this so Spanish speaking children could learn English and by offering it to English students as well they could get it approved,, McKinney has a large population of Spanish only speaking student in the historic district. By providing both languages the state can provide English to this population maybe at the expense of many children. I vote for more time for all in English .

Caldwell Elementary School 4

Posted October 08, 2013
I'm taken back by some of the reviews I have read! My children attend this school and we have been nothing but pleased. The teachers go out of there way to challenge them and make sure they are engaged. I have attended lunch to see my children unannounced several times and have not witness any yelling. The kids have 30 minutes to eat so if someone is talking instead of eating they will tell them to finish their lunch, which as a parent I appreciate. As far as inappropriate clothing worn by the teachers, I have NEVER seen such! Caldwell is MISD's dual language school so you should expect to hear about the dual language progress, what the kids are learning, etc. Those who are zoned to attend this school have a choice to go to other close by elementary schools if dual language is too challenging for their children. As far as I'm concerned I brought my children to this school to give them the gift of being bilingual and have had nothing but a positive experience so far.

Posted August 12, 2013
As the new year approaches I can't help but cringe at the thought of what another year at Caldwell is going to be like. I am so sick and tired of hearing about the "DUAL LANGUAGE CAMPUS", but yet part of the lunchroom and janitorial staff can't even speak or understand English. Children with learning disabilities are low on the priority list. The dress code for the staff appears to be nonexistent which may not seem like that big of a deal but for parents of 4th and 5th grade boys that are getting an eye full, from a certain teacher, its a problem! Unfortunately the few good teachers that are at Caldwell get over looked because of all the bad ones. As for lunchtime and recess I highly recommend every parent to go visit during both times. During lunch it feels as if your child is in a juvenile detention center. They are yelled at and berated. I do not believe that teachers like when they have 'lunchroom" duty and it SHOWS! As a parent you can't help but wonder if this is how the teachers acts when they have to do something they don't want to, with parents watching, how do they act when parents aren't around? As for recess all I can say go watch when they don't know your watching!

Posted May 15, 2013
I want to know what is happening in this school, if the students are learning like they supose to do.

Posted October 31, 2012
This school is special! The students at this school are getting a multi language, multi cultural education both inside the classroom and outside. The teachers at Caldwell are dedicated and want the best for the students. I am happy to have my two children attend Caldwell and be part of the dynamic program.

Posted July 01, 2012
Very unsatisfied with Caldwell. I tried everything I knew as a parent to help my child feel successful at this school. The reviews I have read are very true.The principal at this school is very defensive and hard to work with. No accountability!

Posted May 04, 2012
I have so many mixed emotions about this school. There are wonderful teachers there that are being overshadowed by the bad ones. Just this year I have seen one grade lose most, if not all, of the kids who are on a higher academic level. It seems to be the parents that can get their kids out do so. This makes me question what kind of education my children are receiving. One classrooom has kids who are constanly sick. You can not tell me as a parent that this is just by chance. I have since found out that this classroom is where the sprinkler head broke and flodded the classroom, not only once but twice. When does someone stand up for the kids who don't have the parents with connections? When will the District step up and take notice that there is something wrong in this school? In just the short amount of time that I have been there, it's not hard to see where that problem is, the TOP. The principal does not like to confront any problem. He has no control over his staff. He punishes the bullied for taking a stand againt the bullies. They would not have to do so if the reports were taken seriously. "If we leave it alone it will go away" That is not what i want my kids to learn.

Posted April 25, 2012
The previous comments contain inaccurate information. A simple call to the school will clarify that enrollment is 540 students. There are no classes of 25 students. All classes are between 13-20 students. There is additional support to every classroom in addition to the low class size. There are instructional specialists, tutors, and classroom assistants. My child participates in the dual-language program and has been very successful in both languages. I have never experienced my child having to sit silently at lunch. I have seen (while eating lunch with my child) students who are separated for behavior reasons during lunch. My children have experienced bullying and seen it occur at school. However, I believe it was dealt with appropriately by the staff. Also, I volunteer at the school all the time. I have never been made to feel as though I wasn't welcome. I see many volunteers around the school. No school is perfect, but overall my family's experience has been positive at this school.

Posted August 15, 2011
This is an amazing school. The teachers care about the students. I have 2 kids in this school and they love going to school. Now they have the english/spanish program. Paretns from all over the ISD are fighting to get their kids in this school/

Caldwell Elementary School
601 West Louisiana Street, McKinney, TX  75069
Last modified Caldwell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Caldwell Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top