Posted November 23, 2014
I love Slaughter! The teachers and staff are amazing! They truly care about the kids. The teachers are genuinely friends and I love that! They support and love one another! It's like a family! This is my daughters second year here and she loves her school! One thing I would change is getting a canopy and fence around the playground. ;)

Posted October 21, 2014
I can't stand this school and I am beyond glad that after this school year I won't have to deal with anyone there. Aside from a very few teachers there that care about the kids and helping them excel the staff is terrible. I never have felt welcome when I've had to go into the school and my kids have never liked it. McKinney ISD really needs to reevaluate the ENTIRE staff....or just close the school. I don't feel that my kids have gotten even a decent education there. I desperately want to go back to Plano schools!

Posted April 22, 2014
Great school! Texas schools seem to be a bit ahead of where we moved from, but the teacher we had worked with my daughter individually to get her as caught up as possible. We have been attending for about 5 months and I couldn't be happier.

Posted August 27, 2013
My daughter is New to Slaughter E. We come from plano, and when I say a BIG difference. From the time we walked in the building we didn't fill loved there. The staff there seem to have a attitude from the time we step through the door. The Nurse was very rude it seem like it was going to kill her to fax a paper off. There was no love what so ever. When we left they didn't say thanks you, happy your coming to our School none of tht. They seem very lazy and unhappy with there Job. It got so bad tht I had to call them the next day to let them know how I felt. I'm looking to tranfer my daughter to another school. If I could gather plano staff and bring them to Slaughter E. To show them how to treat people better I would. They need to work on there staff there because they seem miserable.

Posted June 24, 2013
2012/2013 was our first experience at Slaughter elementary. I was so pleased and overjoyed with the level of education and attention my daughter received. I volunteered weekly in her class, so I could know first hand the quality of education she and the other students were receiving. All the kids thrived in the class and we raised up by the teacher. I was incredibly impressed with the entire process of he day and techniques used to teach the kids. I was also impressed by the school having separate classes for ESL students. In my opinion, it allowed my daughter to develop relationships with students from all backgrounds while allowing all the students the best opportunity to gain an education on their native language. We were so pleased with the school, that we actually went out of our way to buy a new home that was still zoned for Slaughter elementary so we would be able to continue to go there. This school has everything we could wish for and I am proud to say my daughter is a member of the Slaughter Wolf pack!

Posted February 11, 2013
My children have attended this school for 6 years. In that time, I have watched it decline from a school that cares to a school that does little more than keep students quite and busy with worksheets. There are a few exceptional teachers, but as a whole from the principal down, the school is substandard. I have tried to participate actively as a parent but the general attitude from the administration and many of the teachers is to step back and let them do their job. Unless you agree with everything they do, parents are looked at as the "enemy". If your child needs any extra support, they are treated like "inconveniences". Any success this school has is solely attributable to the individual intelligence and hard work of their students since the school as a whole does very little to foster an environment of learning and discovery. To even call it a school is generous. I would more attribute it to a glorified detention facility that happens to have a library and desks. I am very familiar with other McKinney ISD schools, and this one really is BAD. If you can avoid sending your child there, do it! The good teachers started leaving years ago, and it is only going to get worse.

Slaughter Elementary School 3

Posted April 17, 2011
This will my daughter first year attending school she will be going to Slaughter, as a parents i'm concerned with quailty and levels of skills the teachers at any school in which my child be attending possess. There are alot of schools whose teacher aren't to concern about taking the time to teach the children or work with those that may have some diffcuilties they rather just pass them through anyway instead of having the patience to find a happy medium in getting that child to understand. My concern is that i read the reviews on Slaughter and i see there are mix emotions between parents on the teachers and staff and wha there teaching. Is slaughter a good school to send my daughter for her first year attending school where she going to be pushed to limits to learn and taught to above the state required teaching just for a dumb test that hinder the true nature of teaching by not allowing the teacher to teach to the best of their knowlegde and abilities. Is slaughter the school for my daughter?

Posted February 01, 2011
I have read these reviews and I am floored at some of the negative comments. I have 3 kids at this school and have for 3 years. I am a very active parent at the school and spend a great deal of time there thus able to make many observations regarding the school. I have loved the teachers and staff. The school motto is "In it together" and I really feel as though they all strive to run the school by that motto. Their is a great sense of community between the parents, staff, teachers and kids! Recently our family had to move to a new house and we chose to stay in the Slaughter area vs another area in McKinney because the school is that good! You are going to have drama and personality conflicts between parents and staff at any school. Simply put Slaughter ROCKS and if you have not had that experience then ask yourself was it because you were the problem as a parent, not the school!

Slaughter Elementary School 0

Posted January 17, 2010
I beg to differ. As a parent of two children who have been at Slaughter throughout thier elementray years, I feel the teachers do their best to include the parents in their child's learning. All of the teachers I have experience with have always been on board with working together to improve my son and daughter's performance. I really appreciate the accountability they try to install in the kids...as that seems hard to find in this day in age.

Posted August 20, 2009
I agree that Slaughter seems to teach to the state test standards and not to the individual child's standards. I don't understand how as a parent I'm supposed to help reinforce what's being taught, if my child does not get books to bring home, but 'worked' worksheets instead. I think I can help master the concepts better if I have the background and approach the book provides. I really wish we could move to a different zone in the district, just so my children can get the same education offered at say a Glen Oaks or Valley Creek. I wonder how many of the teahers kids attend the school...

Slaughter Elementary School
2706 Wolford Street, McKinney, TX  75071
Last modified Slaughter Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Slaughter Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top