McKinney Christian Academy

Private | PK-12 | 560 students

College-prep curriculum taught from a Christian worldview with a family feel.

Living in McKinney

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $196,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Sweep tile

Posted April 11, 2014

McKinney Christian Academy was the worst experience of my daughter's life. She was literally tormented by bullies in the classroom (boys and girls) and the teachers and administration did absolutely nothing to stop it. In fact, they tried to tell us she was autistic. We took her to a well-respected and experienced child psychologist who advised us to get her out of this school immediately. Today, she's a well-rounded, active, and bright young woman with a great circle of close friends, who is in her senior year of college and going on to a Master's program. When I tell people we were told she was probably autistic by McKinney Christian Academy, their jaws drop to the floor in horror and disbelief. If you don't fit into their mold, they will ostracize, blame and belittle. I thank God we transferred our daughter out of this school when we did. I cannot imagine what would have become of her had she stayed. My husband and I are realistic people when it comes to our daughter. This school was just bad news, plain and simple.

Posted October 15, 2013

I can honestly compare MCA to MISD from K-12 as I've had kid(s) in both environments. Without a doubt, MCA is a Christian environment that absolutely does give an outstanding academic education. The teachers give personal attention while teaching students to be responsible for themselves academically and spiritually. My elementary student learns grammar that my MISD students never learned. One of my students began at MCA in 6th grade with low confidence overall and frustration with the class environment in MISD. We knew she didn't grasp math quickly and always had MISD tutoring leading up to TEST day. Her 6th grade teacher immediately recognized the need for help and offered daily tutoring to catch her up. Now almost finished with HS, she is confident, excelling academically, and has great opportunities ahead. I keep up with college students because of our older student from MISD. The MCA kids are prepared for everything college expects. They've already done it in HS. They outperform the MISD kids almost every time in all fields of study. Look at MCA's profile for test scores. Nothing in the area compares to MCA for getting our kids ready for college and the real world.

Posted August 8, 2013

I have two kids at MCA, entering their third year soon. Incredible school, faculty, and staff. For those that don't like the school- you know the rules/beliefs- so if you disagree- why send your child? Teachers/admin in North Dallas area are very high on the academics offered by MCA.

Posted July 2, 2013

Horrible school. Very bad and old. My student thought everything was too basic. I think they should seriously reconsider their agenda.

Posted January 23, 2013

Our family relocated two years ago and after many a sad and unhappy experiences, we have been thankful to finally be at MCA. My child' s had been broken and the day we came to MCA she left her first day with five new friends and wanting to participate ion anything offered. I felt like my child was back. She is excited to go to school and skips to class. The parents and staff have been inviting and friendly. We feel like we joined a family. My only complaint is the science program. My child is so happy, we will be glad to supplement her science elsewhere in the summer. We still believe the curriculum is well rounded and are daughter is being prepared for her future. Love this school!

Posted May 9, 2012

One of the biggest problems I see with MCA, after my child has attended for a few years, is the lack of advanced degrees among the upper school instructors and the MAJOR lack of communication between the school, individual parents, and teachers. RenWeb is a good tool but only as far the teacher's use it. We have gotten used to not having ANY IDEA something is going on until too late, that day, or whatever the situation. My child made 0 lasting connections - probably because she doesn't go to First Baptist Church - but we are moving on. If you would have voted for Rick Santorum and you are extremely conservative, then this is definitely your school. McKinney NEEDS MORE OPTIONS!!! (nondenominational doesn't mean other denominations are welcome)

Posted April 14, 2012

After a few bad experiences with freshmen falling through the cracks at the massive Boyd HS, I placed all three of my children at MCA this Spring. Best decision I ever made. The special needs "directed studies" program with Dr. Dooley (just added this school year), while new, is amazing and Dr. Dooley has a great vision for the future of the program. My 6th grader has more confidence than he's ever had and absolutely credits the school, teachers, and especially directed studies and Dr. Dooley. I also have a young child and a high schooler. The teachers for both have been the best they have had. While reading the other reviews, keep in mind that MCA is college prep. They don't hand hold in class, and the admissions process attempts to prepare you for the rigorous academics. It is a challenging adjustment for even the brightest kids, but it prepares them for colleges and not just "narrow minded" ones. The Christian component is authentic and real-world applicable. The social environment is like a family, if you make an effort and attend things to get to know the parents and students. The more we experience at MCA, the more we like. Do your homework and then go tour the school!

Posted March 19, 2012

MCA is teaching children to be conservative right-wing Republicans who believe in creationism and are narrow-minded, intolerant people. When these kids get to college, they are going to be limited to the few schools that hold the same non-scientific beliefs. Their communications skills are lacking to say the least and their sense of value is based on how many championships they can win instead of how well-educated their children are. SAD

Posted February 8, 2012

My kids have gone to MCA for a few years now and over the past couple of years the school seems to be focusing on adding more students, more money and less about values. You can't go to a meeting or event without them asking for more money. I agree with the previous parents comment about the teachers as well! 50/50, I've had some that are amazing and terrible. When your child is struggling they don't have one-on-one help, they want you to pay another $2k on top of tuition to get the attention they need. Isn't that why we're paying such high tuition that goes up every year, so the teachers can help them ??? I'm praying it get's better for families that work hard and do everything to put their kids in a Christian loving environment with great academics. I hope something happens and they read these reviews!

Posted January 3, 2011

The academics here are great! The students, though, are mostly "rich kids" who carry around their designer purses and backpacks. With my daughter, not having everything or barely anything designer, she was bullied and not included in anything. She told us that she felt like people in her grade were looking down on her and not including her because of money. She is staying at the school for academics, but begs us everyday to switch.

Posted October 12, 2010

My daughter is so loved at school and numerous times the school has rallied together to family out the community.

Posted April 17, 2010

The lower school has some authentic Christian teachers, and has a Christ-like atmosphere. The upper school isn't as warm and friendly. Our older child was bullied and we were given no sympathy on this from the upper school principal.at that time. We were rejected for financial aid for our younger child who is chronically ill, so she will not be able to go there next year. Submitted by a very disappointed parent

Posted November 16, 2009

My child attended MCA from 1st grade through graduation. He is making all A's at Texas A&M engineering. He was totally prepared academically and spiritually. Wonderful faculty;highly qualifiied.

Posted September 19, 2009

My child has attended MCA for 3 years and I wouldn'd consider sending him to any other school (especially McKinney public schools.) The MCA academics are first rate, the teaching staff really cares about each child, and with 18 to 20 students per class they receive pleanty of individual attention which they need in elementary school. Parents are always welcome to attend any class which really says alot about MCA.

Posted August 12, 2009

Overall MCA is a very good school. It is a fairly young school that continues to grow and improve every year. The academics are more challenging that what is available in local public schools at the lower and middle school levels. MCA's staff is very dedicated to the students. There are varying teaching abilities and styles, but overall, the teachers are very qualified. The lower school spends a lot of time on writing and communication skills. The art, music, and band programs are strong and continue to grow each year. The upper school athletic program is especially strong. All interested students are encouraged to participate and really push themselves to be their best. Students are encouraged to participate in multiple sports. Spirituality is stressed. Most kids in this school have strong family support and there is a lot of parent involvement.

Posted April 3, 2009

We are finishing our first year for our child at MCA. After attending MISD for many years we were looking for more challenging academcis and stronger discipline and the assurance of Christian values (all lacking at MISD). We found all these plus a loving family. I would strongly recomend this school. I would like to comment that as with everything some folks may not have as good experiences as others as seen in other posts. We found MCA to be everything they prescribe to be and more.

Posted April 2, 2009

Our time at MCA has been a huge disappointment for our family. MCA is definitely focused on money and increasing the number of students vs. taking the needed time to evaluate and work with the students they already have. The teachers are either fantastic or horrible- you have a 50/50 chance of getting someone good. I would love to share details of my experiences over the past couple years, but my main advise is to thoroughly research all areas of the school before you commit. Attend the open house, meet with a 'host family', and talk with other parents (both current and former). Don't take ANYTHING for face value it has been our experience that MCA doesn t act ethically or Christ like when approached with difficult issues.

Posted December 21, 2007

We have had a great experience with McKinney Christian Academy. The academics are very rigorous - 2/3 of the teachers have master's degrees and a few upper school teachers have their PHDs! All teachers are ACSI certified. The teaching strength is obvious with 100% of graduates attending college and millions earned in scholarship. MCA offers a long list of AP courses and teaches at a college level. I know most of the kids in our lower school child's class test well above national averages.

Posted August 8, 2007

MCA has an excellent teaching staff and a very supportive administration. My children have found great success academically, athletically, and spiritually. It is absolutely the best Christian school in the North Dallas area.

Posted August 8, 2007

MCA has been a wonderful experience for our entire family. Our oldest daughter started MCA in 6th grade and has flourished academically, spiritually and socially. We had planned on waiting until our youngest daughter reached middle school to transfer her to MCA but have been so pleased that she will be starting this year. Sports are also important to us and the athletic programs seem to be very focused and organized. We look forward to the upcoming years.

Asian 0% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2013)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
Italian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Arts (all)
  • Performing arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Bob Lovelady
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Performing arts
  • Religious
  • Service learning
  • Social justice
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
Foreign languages taught
  • Latin
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • None
Vocational or skills-based training offered
  • None

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Poetry
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
College Reps Visit Campus